Our squad this season - HG/foreign quotas

Hungarian blue

If, and that's a big IF, we buy both Walker and Bertrand, that would mean we would have 5 non-club based homegrown players, so one of them in the CL would have to be listed as a foreigner. So in other words, we will only have 16 'real' non-HG players in the squad, which is exactly the number we have currently (not counting Nasri, Bony, Mangala etc.). Of course, Nolito and Fernando are still included here, but you can make sure that there will be 'replacements' for them, let's just say Mendy and Sanchez.

I'd be surprised if that would be the case, but given that two of our HG players are basically untouchable (Stones, Sterling), it indeed makes Delph as a favorite to go. The other plausible scenario is that we don't even want want Bertrand and it's all just smokescreen, or a 'B' plan.

Just thought you might be interested and it can be a discussion in itself as I didn't want to derail tolmie's thread.

(While Sane and Jesus are youngsters, they weren't with us for 2 season so will be included in the A-list anyway, thuse they are included in those 17.)

I think we only need 1 don't we?
we lost Clichy but no one else who was classed as home grown has left yet.

also completely separate note, whats with the tags? is that a new thing or me not being observant again.

I think we only need 1 don't we?
we lost Clichy but no one else who was classed as home grown has left yet.

also completely separate note, whats with the tags? is that a new thing or me not being observant again.
Haha, it was a long time I created a thread and didn't know about it until this time, so I'm sorry but had to try it. :D I can delete them if you want.

It's not about who we lost, but yes you're right, only Clichy has left. It's about UEFA's squad regulations which state that other than the 17 foreign players, you can have 8 homegrown to add up to a 25 men squad (which is obviously needlessly big and we won't have this much). But from those 8, no more than 4 can be association based, i.e. the others have to be club-trained. So having 5 homegrown players who are not club-trained is a bit pointless unless they are that good, as one of them has to be counted as a foreigner.

Now we either bring in both and sell Delph, or we bring in both and have one as a foreigner. Then the question would be that is really Walker/Betrand a better player than anyone other from anywhere outside the world?

Tags are fine just never seen them before.

I miss understood your point.
I guess it comes down to
A) do we think we will actually get both or is one the backup option.
2) If we get both are we selling one of the home grown guys.
C) it might be that they are the best options available to us, just cos they are English doesn't mean they aren't good enough.

I would expect better value for money buying a foreign player as there is always a sort of English tax added to players
but you never know everyone costs a fortune these days.

I guess it comes down to
A) do we think we will actually get both or is one the backup option.
2) If we get both are we selling one of the home grown guys.
C) it might be that they are the best options available to us, just cos they are English doesn't mean they aren't good enough.

Yep, that's basically what I was trying to put across and sums it up nicely.

If we get both, Delph probably just has to go, unless he's ok with not being in the CL squad. Of course he might go even if we don't get both.

Revisiting my not so popular thread now as we signed Kyle Walker, we have 4 HG players currently in our squad, namely:
- John Stones
- Raheem Sterling
- Fabian Delph
- Kyle Walker

Again, let's reiterate that the UEFA 'A' list is stricter than the PL rules so we can 'only' have 17 foreigners at maximum, then 4 HG players at maximum, and then another 4 club trained, which in our case won't be even touched obviously. Gabby Jesus hasn't been here for two seasons so he has to go to the 'A' list and will take a foreign spot as normal.

Which means that if we want to sign Bertrand to and will do as such, then Delph probably goes, otherwise one of our quasi-HG players has to be listed in that 17.

And jus for the record, let's say we sign Mendy in the next few days, then if I exclude our loanees from last year, this would be our current non-HG list:
1. Ederson
2. Bravo
3. Kolarov
4. Kompany
5. Otamendi
6. Gundogan
7. Fernando
8. Fernandinho
9. Yaya
10. Sane
11. D. Silva
12. B. Silva
13. De Bruyne
14. Nolito
15. Aguero
16. Gabriel Jesus
17. Mendy

But obviously Nolito will be gone, and I guess Fernando too, so at least for Alexis there will be some room, but could be for two.

I'd happily have Bertrand and one less foreigner, there's no requirement to have 17 foreigners just for the sake of it!

You are misunderstanding the rules - we can name a squad of up to 25 players aged over 21 on Jan 1 2017 - they can be of any nationality allowed by UK work permit regulations.

For UEFA the squad must have a minimum of 8 Homegrown (HG) of whom 4 must be club trained (CT). That could result in us naming just 21 players in Champions League Squad

For Premiership there is no need for CT but eight must be home-grown - if there are not 8 HG players available then the squad is reduced accordingly.

Clearly whilst we only have 4 HG players (or 5 until Hart goes) their places are "safe" - but if we sign Bertrand then any of the players aged over-21 could be moved on to create space. Nolito has obviously gone, presumably Nasri, Bony and Hart will soon be gone as well.

And as well as Gabriel Jesus, Sane and Moreno and Zinchenko (if they stay) will be treated as under 21 for Premiership purposes but not for UEFA

Of course like last year when Yaya was included in Premiership and not UEFA someone may be left in same position.

You are misunderstanding the rules - we can name a squad of up to 25 players aged over 21 on Jan 1 2017 - they can be of any nationality allowed by UK work permit regulations.

What did I misunderstand though? After reading your (nice and thorough!) post, I was just nodding as you've said what I know, too. :) So maybe I just rephrased something wrongly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.