Our squad this season - HG/foreign quotas

Wouldn't Jesus be classified on the U21 list?
No, not for the UEFA list that is. My latest list which I included was intentionally the one 'designed' for UEFA-compliance. Jesus is not with us for 2 years yet so he is not available for the 'B' list where U21 players such as that can be listed.

So that's why I stated that the UEFA directives are stricter, but as we obviously don't want someone like Gabby Jesus having to sit out the whole CL season, or buying someone who will only be in either CL/PL squad, I think we can go by that.

What did I misunderstand though? After reading your (nice and thorough!) post, I was just nodding as you've said what I know, too. :) So maybe I just rephrased something wrongly.

You talked about foreign quotas and Delph having to leave to make space for Bertrand as a HG player - so it may just be your phrasing. But then I've just seen someone on another thread talking about our foreign quota and having to replace a foreign player with a foreign player - so there is confusion about. Better I think to talk about 17 free places - where the club is free to list whoever they want. Just so happens that in our squad most of those will not be HG.

You talked about foreign quotas and Delph having to leave to make space for Bertrand as a HG player - so it may just be your phrasing. But then I've just seen someone on another thread talking about our foreign quota and having to replace a foreign player with a foreign player - so there is confusion about. Better I think to talk about 17 free places - where the club is free to list whoever they want. Just so happens that in our squad most of those will not be HG.
Yes, you're right in your wording, it's 17 'free' places basically. I can now see why I didn't get across my point fully. It's just that I'd think that because there is a chance to have 17 'foreigners', City would sign that many... Not that I have anything against if, let's say, Bertrand comes in and Delph stays and one of them will be included in that 17. :)

Revisiting my not so popular thread now as we signed Kyle Walker, we have 4 HG players currently in our squad, namely:
- John Stones
- Raheem Sterling
- Fabian Delph
- Kyle Walker

Again, let's reiterate that the UEFA 'A' list is stricter than the PL rules so we can 'only' have 17 foreigners at maximum, then 4 HG players at maximum, and then another 4 club trained, which in our case won't be even touched obviously. Gabby Jesus hasn't been here for two seasons so he has to go to the 'A' list and will take a foreign spot as normal.

Which means that if we want to sign Bertrand to and will do as such, then Delph probably goes, otherwise one of our quasi-HG players has to be listed in that 17.

And jus for the record, let's say we sign Mendy in the next few days, then if I exclude our loanees from last year, this would be our current non-HG list:
1. Ederson
2. Bravo
3. Kolarov
4. Kompany
5. Otamendi
6. Gundogan
7. Fernando
8. Fernandinho
9. Yaya
10. Sane
11. D. Silva
12. B. Silva
13. De Bruyne
14. Nolito
15. Aguero
16. Gabriel Jesus
17. Mendy

But obviously Nolito will be gone, and I guess Fernando too, so at least for Alexis there will be some room, but could be for two.
Fernando > danilo
Nolito > Sanchez
Delph > Bertrand

Kolarov / Otamendi > CB from anywhere (if it happens)

Bravo > GK from anywhere if it happens

Does this all mean Roberts can make PL squad but not CL?

Does this all mean Roberts can make PL squad but not CL?

If I'm correct, Roberts can now be added to our 'B' list for CL as he has been registered with us for two seasons in a row. So he's basically a 'bonus' for the next season in both of our squads, if he stays as he'd figure in the U21 and 'B' list for CL and PL, respectively.

Last edited:
If I'm correct, Roberts can now be added to our 'B' list for CL as he has been registered with us for two seasons in a row. So he's basically a 'bonus' for the next season in both of our squads, if he stays as he'd figure in the U21 land 'B' list for CL and PL, respectively.
Could see him being a very important bonus there. An injury to Sterling and Sane and all of a sudden a player that doesn't even cost a squad place becomes integral.

I think it'd be ideal if we had a CT GK as back up and with Karius, Schmeichel and Hennessey out there it should be possible.

Even bringing back Mee as 4th choice CB wouldnt hurt. Or keeping denayer.

Okay, so a bit of an update to our current state. Here's our supposed foreign quota as of now:

1. Ederson
2. Bravo
3. Mendy
4. Kompany
5. Otamendi
6. Gundogan
7. Fernando
8. Fernandinho
9. Yaya
10. Sane
11. D. Silva
12. B. Silva
13. De Bruyne
14. Aguero
15. Gabriel Jesus
16. Danilo

I guess Fernando is still about to be sold, and probably so are Bony and Mangala and Nasri, none of these three were included in the above list though. Well about Nasri I'm not too sure and I'd like him to stay, but anyway.

So solely from this point of view, it still makes sense that we are after a defender and an attacker (Alexis) as with the exclusion of Fernando, there would be space for two. So if we don't buy another foreigner this summer, it would mean that Mangala and Nasri can both potentially get there, not that it would guarantee it, of course.

Another update, if anyone is bothered. :)

1. Ederson
2. Bravo
3. Mendy
4. Kompany
5. Otamendi
6. Gundogan
7. Fernandinho
8. Yaya
9. Sane
10. D. Silva
11. B. Silva
12. De Bruyne
13. Aguero
14. Gabriel Jesus
15. Danilo

So currently we have 2 quotas for foreigners, but I'm not including Nasri, Mangala, and Bony obviously.

And we have the 4 HG currently still fulfilled (as of CL rules), while Delph is here, along with Walker, Stones and Sterling.

One last update just to make it visible and clear if anyone had any doubts.

So we submitted our squad to UEFA where even Muric made it into the 17 foreign list, given we didn't get Sanchez or anyone in.

With regards to both the PL and CL lists, 4 HG players were selected along with our foreign lists; Walker, Stones, Delph and Sterling. If we are to buy another non-HG player in January (let's say Alexis), then we can easily replace him with Muric in the UEFA squad, and of course he can go straight to our PL squad too as those rules are less strict and we have lots of space. Here it is:

1. Ederson
2. Bravo
3. Mendy
4. Kompany
5. Otamendi
6. Mangala
7. Danilo
8. Gundogan
9. Fernandinho
10. Yaya
11. Sane
12. D. Silva
13. B. Silva
14. De Bruyne
15. Aguero
16. Gabriel Jesus
17. Muric as of now

20 senior players means that one would guess that Tosin, Foden and maybe Brahim as well should be training with our first team throughout the season, given that we lack the numbers in defence and in attack / attacking midfield too. Oh, and I forgot Zinchenko, too.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.