Danilo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't imagine either walker or danilo has joined to be rotated. We have fernandinho as an opinion at right back does this effect the Mendy deal? With foreign spots or whatever?

No, Danilo can play LB, but he's not a LB or even left footed so this has nothing to with Mendy. Foreign spots are fine, Alves was also Brazilian...

Can't say for sure why Danilo has chosen to join us over Chelsea where it looks as though he would play more there and possibly start; but I'd guess that Danilo doesn't see himself as a wingback or a CB in a back 3. Maybe Pep will use him as back up RB and LB, he'd likely play once week if this was the case esp. when we have 2 games a week. Walker and Mendy aren't FBs you tuck into the midfield but Danilo is. There is a quote going around where he talks about enjoying playing a more central role. He's play a little defensive mid. His versatility is something Pep likes and we have more holes in our squad in the positions Danilo can play in compared to Chelsea. I think he'll be a utility defender for us.

Now Guardiola thinks he needs a season in La Liga. he obviously didn't show quite enough in his time in the 2nd division, what do you see Pep doesn't.

He's just bought a 26 year old for £30m in his position.

He's not saying Maffeo needs a year in La Liga, he's saying "I'm spending £90m on fullbacks so I don't have to think about the position for the rest of my time at City".

This isn't a "see you in a year, Pablo" moment, this is a, "we no longer have an opening in your position, please accumulate some value in Spain so you fetch us a decent fee" decision.

If this happens it will prove to be a good deal.

He will be a good player for us, I don't doubt that. The price is a bit steep, and he's going to need some work because his defensive positioning was all over the place, but Pep should have him doing well.

Not the end of the world for maffeo. If he shines on loan at girona, then loan him to a prem side. If he does well there then bring him back after 2 years and sell danilo, unless danilo does really well, in which case we will have 2 top class right backs and we will make a tidy sum on maffeo. Whats the problem?

exactly, Danilo can be sold/loaned. signing a 5 year deal doesn't guarantee he'll be here for 5 years blocking maffeo's path...

Lets really break it down.

The academy is a cash cow which doesn't make much money.

The promises of academy integration were false.

We will never be ready because "ready" is an idealised world where we're not struggling to win trophies, and there's no risk in using kids.

The next crop of youngsters will always be "the one", until they're not.

If people were upfront about that we could all get on with our lives and get excited when a player like Danilo arrives, it's the constant "we're desperate to use kids, just as long as they're world class and worth £50m at 18 before we trust them in a cup game" that's annoys people like myself, and (I think) @Neville Kneville

I'm guessing we'll make the cost of the academy back within a decade with the way inflation is going.

It'll only take one player from hundreds to justify the investment.

I remember listening to a thing about how John Terry alone was worth the entire spend of Chelsea's academy for a decade.

We'll find gems, people just need patience. Sending them to Girona etc is a good move, because no one is going to come through the academy straight into the team. Last season in theory was the year for that as we were clearly stuck for fullbacks, but it didn't happen even when Maffeo played well.

But these players need to take their chances. Kelechi did, while Aleix Garcia hasn't. Time is not something these boys will be given in the top team.

Is Domalino having a meltdown?

No, I'm just replying to people who replied to my argument.

We all knew Maffeo wasn't going to get a chance, like others before him and like others after him, we all know we'll continue to lose players like Ty Campbell and Jadon Sancho while we continue this nearly decade long streak of giving a player a chance in the first team.

The only thing I actually take exception to is the people who are so desperate to pretend this isn't an obvious statement of the value of the academy and the earnestness of those promises Khaldoon keeps making about the academy.

That, and the people who think it's normal for academy players to be world class on day one, or that the minimum standard is for them to immediately improve the starting XI to get a chance.

The stars will probably never align for an academy player more favourably than they have for Maffeo, and the fact this is now happening is an obvious sign of where we're at.

That's the right side sorted for 4 years so. Two very good options physically to cover each other, to cover injuries and lack of form. When they leave at the end of their contracts I hope they have done as well as Zabs did for us and both have a bundle of medals. We need two in each position at least.

If true of course that he's coming. Can't see why so many get the knickers in a twist without a player even pulling on a jersey for us.

He was told, or rather Guardiola said, he needed experience comparable to La Masia players in Barcelona B, who play in the 3rd division of Spanish football.

Please tell me again how getting promoted in the 2nd division is not comparable to that?
ok,let me put it this way

MAFFEO ISNT DEEMED GOOD ENOUGH AT THE MOMENT BY THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.