Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep is still after another centre back if the budget allows, surely Mangala is worth having around at the moment? Since he has come he's had awful full backs around him, Kompany being nowhere near fit, a fading Demichelis and Ottamendi finding his feet in English football. Hardly a steady back line, instead of farming him out on loan again I'd prefer him to fight for his place and show why we paid the money for him in the first place.

I like Mangala, I think he’s a nice lad. I want him to succeed as much as the next guy but it seems like his place is not in our team. He just looks so clumsy on the ball. Everytime he received the ball you can see him panicking and just looked to get rid of the ball asap. No amount of rondo can save him imo.

He's good enough for the 4th CB spot IMO. Our focus should be a high quality CM to replace Fernando & Delph.

And if he does well, or at least perceived to be doing well, which you would hope given the amount of quality that's been injected into the team, then we'll also get a better price for him.

"I am happy with John Stones, Vincent Kompany and Nicolas Otamendi." - This is what Pep said

So goodbye to Mangala, Denayer & see you later Tosin.

I don't know how 40m player is not even good enough to be 4th choice CB for Pep !!

"I am happy with John Stones, Vincent Kompany and Nicolas Otamendi." - This is what Pep said

So goodbye to Mangala, Denayer & see you later Tosin.

I don't know how 40m player is not even good enough to be 4th choice CB for Pep !!
His transfer fee has nothing to do with Pep as Pep sure wasn't the one to greenlight that transfer.

I like Mangala, I think he’s a nice lad. I want him to succeed as much as the next guy but it seems like his place is not in our team. He just looks so clumsy on the ball. Everytime he received the ball you can see him panicking and just looked to get rid of the ball asap. No amount of rondo can save him imo.
Totally. I really don't get why folk on here are saying keep him. The man (nice as he is) is a liability! On more than one occasion, and under no pressure whatsoever, he's attempted to pass the ball back to the keeper but instead passed it straight to opposition striker. Gifts like that under no pressure give an indication of both his positional awareness and ball passing skills. Now, just imagine him in a pep team under pressure in a team that plays out from the back? It's the stuff of nightmares.

Thought he looked pretty awkward on the ball, heavy touches & risky/weak passing. Easy to see why Pep won't be happy to have him on the pitch given the style we want to play.

Agree that it seems a clear option to keep him as 4th choice if the budget doesn't stretch to another CB coming in, but won't be surprised to see him offloaded.

Apart from his first match, Mangala always seemed to me to be low on confidence. He had a poor game at Hull in his 2nd game and just never seemed to recover from it. He always seemed to be quite nervy when he played.

12 months ago Pep decided to let him go out on loan, choosing instead to convert Kolarov into a centre back, and I dont remember Pep ever saying anything publicly to indicate that he rates Mangala.

If Mangala were to stay as 4th choice CB its unlikely that he would get much game time. EFL cup games and the odd game when two CB's were injured or suspended. He just doesn't seem to me to be the sort of player who could handle the pressure of playing infrequently and having to impress a manager who doesn't appear to rate him, when he does get a game. He needs to be playing regularly and I dont think he will at City.

Revista La liga is on and the panel reckon that once rat face left Valencia and Voro took over Mangala was sensational in the last 3rd of the season.
If he stays in will be on merit. Maybe Pep is simply referring to those players he worked with last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.