Centre back options

I was against the idea of signing a cb before the real game in pre season I now think it is a necessity if pep wants to use a 3 at the back system and its working if a cb gets injured that's our momentum stopped we have to change a winning formation I would love tosin to be given a chance I really would, but if we are to play 3 cbs starting the season with only 4, 1 being an inexperienced youth player it's madness. For full backs/wing backs we have sane, mendy, danilo and walker, we can sign a pure cb or ideally one who can also cover cm.

I'm not always in agreement with your posts, but I agree with this. On top of what we have, Tosin, Mangala, Fernandhino, Danilo, and even Yaya can fill in if required.

We've been linked with Ben Gibson too, more cover if its true.

As I see it, we won't be doing a huge amount of defending anyway, as we will spend most of our games in the opposition half, and we now have a keeper who can cover quite a bit himself.
Danilo hasn't really played cb to my knowledge not saying he can't but think his skill is much more suited to full back , yaya hasn't played cb regularly and I don't believe he has the defensive work rate or tackling ability to play cb. mangala isn't rated by pep, isn't good enough on the ball and is prone to errors the kind that we seem to be punished mercilessly for. Tosin has zero experience would keep him here and get him some minutes and the odd cup game but I wouldn't be comfortable for him to be our only cover if for injuries and suspensions if pep continues to play 3 at the back. And Fernandinho is another one who hasn't played cb and I think out of those listed he is best suited to step in but I really don't think he will be top quality in that position. If we play two cbs we has plenty of cover but if three at the back is what we are going for we need another cb.

Danilo hasn't really played cb to my knowledge not saying he can't but think his skill is much more suited to full back , yaya hasn't played cb regularly and I don't believe he has the defensive work rate or tackling ability to play cb. mangala isn't rated by pep, isn't good enough on the ball and is prone to errors the kind that we seem to be punished mercilessly for. Tosin has zero experience would keep him here and get him some minutes and the odd cup game but I wouldn't be comfortable for him to be our only cover if for injuries and suspensions if pep continues to play 3 at the back. And Fernandinho is another one who hasn't played cb and I think out of those listed he is best suited to step in but I really don't think he will be top quality in that position. If we play two cbs we has plenty of cover but if three at the back is what we are going for we need another cb.
As I said, I don't think Pep's plan is that we will be doing a whole lot of defending, I think we can cover it with what we have, I didn't say another wouldn't be useful, but I don't think its essential.

Last year both Yaya and Fernandhino filled in the middle CB position in games when we played the 2323 formation, changing us into a 323(effectively 5)2 formation, the one we seem to playing in pre season.

Pep is very keen on flexibility, and I think what I posted is more than workable, especially in a team that doesn't intend defending a whole lot, which I think is how he intends playing. We'll see once the season starts.

As I said, I don't think Pep's plan is that we will be doing a whole lot of defending, I think we can cover it with what we have, I didn't say another wouldn't be useful, but I don't think its essential.

Last year both Yaya and Fernandhino filled in the middle CB position in games when we played the 2323 formation, changing us into a 323(effectively 5)2 formation, the one we seem to playing in pre season.

Pep is very keen on flexibility, and I think what I posted is more than workable, especially in a team that doesn't intend defending a whole lot, which I think is how he intends playing. We'll see once the season starts.
I get that and I understand how important flexibility is to pep so why not bring in a cb who is capable of playing multiple positions. I genuinely believe we are head and shoulders above every team in the division and I honestly don't believe we need to fear anyone in the champions league we have such a great attacking line-up I just worry that one unfortunate injury to vinny or stones and we could be playing a make shift back line in the semis of the champs league and all our great work is undone now is the time to address this but I trust 110% in pep (and if it was up to me would give him a 20 year contract) and if he's happy fair enough.

Yes, we need a Kolarov replacement. But its not as serious as people getting all bent out of shape. We are talking about the 4th CB here.

And if Pep decides Mangala or Tosin can cut it, then lets see. Sure if be like, meh not the greatest 4th stringer, but okay.

For Fuck sake, same Neville who is not happy to have Adarabioyo get a chance as 4th choice, couldnt stop waxing lyrical about how Pelegrini ruined Denayer by not giving him a chance.

@Neville Kneville make up your mind cuz, should the kids get a chance or no?

:p

Denayer was way better at the time than Tosin, having been playing a full season for Celtic, but I can't find a stat for it, so it isn't true.

Pool out on VVD, sell the dead outcasts and go for him.

Liverpool are out of the race for him and Chelsea are back in. Letting him go to London will be a big mistake IMO. He is definitely worth 50-60m. Has the potential to be one of the best CBs in the world. Getting him would be a major power move and the media would hate us even more. If we get him along with Sanchez/Mbappe our squad will be unreal.

VVD seems a no-brainer if he is genuinely available. It's not so clear cut for the player though. City have cover. he would have to compete with them.

My plan isn't doing a whole lot of defending either.

Be nice to actually be able to do it if my plan goes wrong though, as opposed to the goalkeeper doing it instead, as we have seen so far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.