Brighton (A) - Post Match Thread.

Very delighted, great patience.
Still not found the system to play deep and compact sitting teams. Not enough movement up front to open up spaces.
2 forwards didn't help although they did an ok job.
Very happy for Sergio, he was shouting out his pressure. So important for him that goal.

If Albion wouldn't have been giddy and offer the space for a counter it would have been tough to score.
KDB did the job, MOM for me.
Why Walker? I must have missed something, or is it a bit of an English view? Honestly.
Danilo and Walker didn't do what wingers should offer to get behind the defence.
But it was due to the 352 today. Pep was a bit cautious and that's ok for me.
Superb start into a new season.

So, I said 2-0 would be fine. Clean sheet, 3 pts, happy days :)

We were constantly looking for clipped diagonal balls over the top, and often hitting them straight to the keeper or out of play. Think we got maybe 2 out of 10 right (one for the offside goal). Yaya nails those passes blindfolded. Every time.
Yea but that wasnt the problem I saw today... and you are right in that he is better than ferna at that... but Yaya isnt a better player when it comes to defense nowdays... he hasnt got the leg for what ferny contributes... I think the selection today was totally right... in case brighton was going for it and the few chances they got was nullified by ferna which wouldnt have been the case with yaya... so its a selection of offensive or balance for me... the offensive was down to danilo, walker, silva, kdb and jesus and aguero... that should be enough and today it was enough no need to be more critical than than... job was done against a defensive minded team and we got the result we wanted... we dont need a 10/10 performance from everyone... we can be glad that we won the opening match

Was always going to be a difficult game with it's being their first game in the division; I never thought we would steam roll them.

The fact we were SO in control is a positive, but I just thought the back three wasn't a roaring success. I think we needed Sane and Sterling to be those players who were receiving the ball wide, and one on one, in order to create something. Walker and Danilo were solid, but they are reliant on someone getting them into the dangerous positions, whereas Sane or Sterling can get there themselves.

A win's a win though, and given the start of various others this weekend, I'll take it all day long. Onwards and upwards

bang on there matey. this was their curtain raiser and it was never going to be easy, we grinded them down and drained them mentally 'thats how you beat teams that park the bus' then late on in the game they start to make mistakes and lose concentration then you hit them, todays win was from the park the bus text book if their is such a thing

Shades of last season.
Total dominance but lack of cutting edge and always vulnerable from breakaways/ corners.
Thought Ederson and Danilo were poor and Sane when he came on.
Sergio took his chance well but missed an earlier sitter and a complete miskick in front of goal.
De Bruyne bossed the midfield but his final ball was poor.
Once again refereeing decisions always going in the opposition's favour.
Slow build up enabled them to get all their players back behind the ball.
We need more pace and to be more direct. Threading the ball through the eye of a needle isn't going to work against packed defenses.
Early days but a rethink of tactics and team selection needed.
Are you kidding me ?! revisit some highlights from last season , how many similar games did we draw or lose last season , this year feels and looks a lot different, Pep will have learnt a lot

nay, that was a very entertaining season too. i concede i may have become spoilt in that i want more style, but i don't want to become a **** that cheers his ass off on wins a la Mourinho. obviously we are still a ways from that, thank fuck.

Catered is entertaining in the eyes of many.
I found the game to be reasonably clean to be honest. I thought Brighton were ok on that front. Didn't resort to dirty tricks. Jesus booking was v harsh but the other on was fair.

For me that was the strange selection. Perhaps Fernandinho has been good in training because last season he was very average. There is a good chance Gundogan will be in that role once fit

But for you any non yaya has historically been a poor selection.

2/0. Not catastrophic we can recover.

we started well, failed to score in 2-3 situations that were promising (that is the carbon copy though) and than they stabilized and closed the shop. Scoring early goals in matches like this is crucial.

Generally against poor sides, which they are, it is not vital as eventually the class will tell. These sides never learn because last season it was the teams that went at us that caused us problems due to our iffy defence and poor keeper.

It was our record against the top 6/7 last season that cost us and its those games we need to improve in. We need to take the clear chances that come our way against the better sides as we won't get many.

I expected a win today and we got one. Nothing spectacular but solid and deserved.

I think we need to be prepared for lots of these types of games. Stretch them with passing and possession and eventually we will score. Even at 2-0, Brighton didn't open up. Not getting hammered in their first game was their only goal today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.