Man City u18s 4-1 Wolves

twosips

Went to this today. Enjoyed it a lot. Loads of *new* players on show given the first year scholars stepping up. Always fascinating this time of the year watching the new lads settle in. They're good too, unsurprisingly.

Most interestingly though for me was being told that the best of last year's u16s who should be this year's u18s first year scholars have seemingly just jumped up immediately to the EDS. Taylor Richards and Matondo are just with the EDS now and will effectively skip the u18s league altogether. They played v Rotherham in the Checkatrade the other night for example. Another too, Tommy Doyle who should only be an u16 has already moved up to the 18s this season, though he was away on international duty today. There was no Bobby Duncan either who should be at the 18s level cos of England stuff. So it was nowhere near our strongest bunch of new u18s to put it simply. I like this approach. Was told it's Wilcox pushing it as the previous head of the academy, Mark Allen, was far too obsessed with winning trophies, which is why you'd see people like Sancho and Foden winning 4/5-0 every week at u18s level, where they were clearly far too good.

Another interesting thing I was told was that the academy last year had a win percentage of 90% across the board. In some people's eyes at City that is too high as it means that the players aren't being challenged enough and are too good for their level, hence the quick promotions. Can't disagree with that. An average big club wins about 60 odd % of their games for example. Some will end up getting loaned to clubs with win ratios of probs around 30/40% most of the time too when they're older. It doesn't prepare them for life at all having it as easy as some clearly find it.

Wilcox wants to change all that, and rightly so. Really encouraging to hear that players will be pushed up ASAP these days starting this year.

On to the game, Wolves made City work hard for the 4-1 but it was good to watch. Got to see the new Spanish lad Eric Garcia who oozed class. You can see why he was Barca's captain. Strong, tall, a leader, composed. Looks like an old school Italian CB in the way he plays. Other standout was another spanish lad, Nabil - striker we signed recently. Some player him. Scored a great header and another where it was v Negredo-esque. Span away from two defenders and thumped it home. Great all round performance. Felix Nmecha, Lukas' little brother, scored a belter from 25 yards and Ogunby scored the other too. A good solid performance, if not spectacular.

Made a video too here discussing a little more:

Brilliant mate,thanks for your efforts and the info on what Wilcox will be striving to achieve.It sounds like we mean business!

Awesome to hear the new Spanish lads are living upto their billing.

Went to this today. Enjoyed it a lot. Loads of *new* players on show given the first year scholars stepping up. Always fascinating this time of the year watching the new lads settle in. They're good too, unsurprisingly.

Most interestingly though for me was being told that the best of last year's u16s who should be this year's u18s first year scholars have seemingly just jumped up immediately to the EDS. Taylor Richards and Matondo are just with the EDS now and will effectively skip the u18s league altogether. They played v Rotherham in the Checkatrade the other night for example. Another too, Tommy Doyle who should only be an u16 has already moved up to the 18s this season, though he was away on international duty today. There was no Bobby Duncan either who should be at the 18s level cos of England stuff. So it was nowhere near our strongest bunch of new u18s to put it simply. I like this approach. Was told it's Wilcox pushing it as the previous head of the academy, Mark Allen, was far too obsessed with winning trophies, which is why you'd see people like Sancho and Foden winning 4/5-0 every week at u18s level, where they were clearly far too good.

Another interesting thing I was told was that the academy last year had a win percentage of 90% across the board. In some people's eyes at City that is too high as it means that the players aren't being challenged enough and are too good for their level, hence the quick promotions. Can't disagree with that. An average big club wins about 60 odd % of their games for example. Some will end up getting loaned to clubs with win ratios of probs around 30/40% most of the time too when they're older. It doesn't prepare them for life at all having it as easy as some clearly find it.

Wilcox wants to change all that, and rightly so. Really encouraging to hear that players will be pushed up ASAP these days starting this year.

On to the game, Wolves made City work hard for the 4-1 but it was good to watch. Got to see the new Spanish lad Eric Garcia who oozed class. You can see why he was Barca's captain. Strong, tall, a leader, composed. Looks like an old school Italian CB in the way he plays. Other standout was another spanish lad, Nabil - striker we signed recently. Some player him. Scored a great header and another where it was v Negredo-esque. Span away from two defenders and thumped it home. Great all round performance. Felix Nmecha, Lukas' little brother, scored a belter from 25 yards and Ogunby scored the other too. A good solid performance, if not spectacular.

We had Glyn Pardoe at one of our Mid Cheshire Branch Meetings,who is the other Grandad of Tommy Doyle.Glyn was saying he`s got Mikes tenacity and his skills and in his opinion there should be no reason why he shouldn`t make it to the top.

Brilliant mate,thanks for your efforts and the info on what Wilcox will be striving to achieve.It sounds like we mean business!

Awesome to hear the new Spanish lads are living upto their billing.

No worries man. I like the sound of Wilcox and I was chatting to someone very well connected to the club today and they vastly prefer him to Allen too. Sounds like Wilcox has much grander designs for the pathways of these lads, which is exactly how it should be.

Great report.

Thanks!

We had Glyn Pardoe at one of our Mid Cheshire Branch Meetings,who is the other Grandad of Tommy Doyle.Glyn was saying he`s got Mikes tenacity and his skills and in his opinion there should be no reason why he shouldn`t make it to the top.

I was lucky enough to see an eight minute highlight reel of him and he's fucking top draw. So, so good. City have very high expectations for him.

No worries man. I like the sound of Wilcox and I was chatting to someone very well connected to the club today and they vastly prefer him to Allen too. Sounds like Wilcox has much grander designs for the pathways of these lads, which is exactly how it should be.

Thanks!

I was lucky enough to see an eight minute highlight reel of him and he's fucking top draw. So, so good. City have very high expectations for him.
Can that be found anywhere twosips ?

Look a really decent team, GK looked a bit suspect. He made a bad mistake for the 1st goal and nearly cost city another with a bad pass. Why is Anderson on the bench when he will bepretty much England u18s no1!!

Thanks!

Wilcox keep his position? Is not there a plan to bring a Spanish director?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.