Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
otamendi gets way too much shit from city fans, personally i think hes a very good defender

Well statistically, Otamendi ranges between being the 5th best to being THE BEST defender in the Prem last season - depending on the stats used. So all the 'diving in' comments touted by many City fans is rubbish. Here is one such season long measure that puts him TOP OF THE PILE (from Whoscored.com via the Express)
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ders-Van-Dijk-Vertonghen-Matip-sportgalleries
Its been this way for 2 years now. But Like his detractors often claim, "stats isn't everything." But when every statistical attempt to measure how good a defender is, generally spits out a few names consistently at the top.At some point one has to give credence to the possibility that Otamendi simply isn't a bad player. He is not an average player.

He is at worst a good player and at best? Assuming the stats are doing a decent job, one of the best around.

Its been this way for 2 years now. But Like his detractors often claim, "stats isn't everything." But when every statistical attempt to measure how good a defender is, generally spits out a few names consistently at the top.At some point one has to give credence to the possibility that Otamendi simply isn't a bad player. He is not an average player.

He is at worst a good player and at best? Assuming the stats are doing a decent job, one of the best around.
Agreed. Most of the "diving I'm is due to him seeing danger and going to deal with it. Far too often last season he had to deal with the failure of the fullback to do their job.

Otamendi's 'problem' is his high risk high reward style of defending. You'll see him charge out and make these incredible tackles from time to time.

It's just he'll make an error occasionally, in some crazy style too. And we all know that one defensive error can undo everything.

When you combine that style of play with how exposed our cbs were last season (due to fbs in my opinion) and a media propogated narrative that we can't defend, he's an easy target. But I rate him immensely.

If he played for a tight, organised, defensive team (like Chelsea of last year) where he's not as exposed the media would be holding him in the same regard they held Vidic in.

The diving part is funny. We all liked his youtube compilations when he was coming and they were all div
Otamendi's 'problem' is his high risk high reward style of defending. You'll see him charge out and make these incredible tackles from time to time.

It's just he'll make an error occasionally, in some crazy style too. And we all know that one defensive error can undo everything.

When you combine that style of play with how exposed our cbs were last season (due to fbs in my opinion) and a media propogated narrative that we can't defend, he's an easy target. But I rate him immensely.

If he played for a tight, organised, defensive team (like Chelsea of last year) where he's not as exposed the media would be holding him in the same regard they held Vidic in.

this. In some other system he would be hailed as great defender. Yeah, he had some wrongly timed tackles but it's usually the last effort to stop attack.

Well statistically, Otamendi ranges between being the 5th best to being THE BEST defender in the Prem last season - depending on the stats used. So all the 'diving in' comments touted by many City fans is rubbish. Here is one such season long measure that puts him TOP OF THE PILE (from Whoscored.com via the Express)
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ders-Van-Dijk-Vertonghen-Matip-sportgalleries

Otemendi doesnt gets the credit or the headlines headlines he deserves probably because he doesnt have a very likeable personality or alleged diving or God knows what and is often used as a scape goat but he has been our best defender for a while. At present he is at par with kompany if not better. Its a bit early but it seems that he has also worked and improved on his passing. Think he might score a worldie soon considering he doesnt mind having a shoot

I don't know why but he's definitely my favourite city player. I'm sure 99% of posters on here are going to freak at the notion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.