Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's been fine last couple of seasons. I think he had lots of problems at Utd but if last couple of seasons are OK then that should reduce fears on that score.

Question is he good enough is fair. I would say he is for a squad player and he's actually far better than what we have had in previous title winning seasons. If you want more than a squad player then you make life difficult for Stones. We should have done this much earlier in the window. Looks to me like we have got the Mbappe cash burning a hole in our pocket and we thought well we might as well buy some insurance at the back. If you don't want Evans, who do you want to cover Kompany? This has been asked a 100 times so far. Still no sensible answers, and the advantage of Evans is that he is home grown. Significant evn if most fans can't be bothered with the bureaucracy

The issue is Evans for 25-30m is an expensive short term fix, we can add some money and buy a top class CB for years to come.

If we get a top CB, Otamendi's place is at risk not Stones', which I am fine with. Either way Pep rotates a lot so everyone will play and Kompany's playing time should be managed and no way should he play 3 games a week.

Buying Evans make our CB situation even worse as Kompany, Otamendi and then Evans will all need to be replaced within the next 2-3 years.

The issue is Evans for 25-30m is an expensive short term fix, we can add some money and buy a top class CB for years to come.

If we get a top CB, Otamendi's place is at risk not Stones', which I am fine with. Either way Pep rotates a lot so everyone will play and Kompany's playing time should be managed and no way should he play 3 games a week.

Buying Evans make our CB situation even worse as Kompany, Otamendi and then Evans will all need to be replaced within the next 2-3 years.
Otamendi most likely will be replaced by young CB next summer. I don''t see it as a problem as long as the club reacts to that situation early

he's been fine last couple of seasons. I think he had lots of problems at Utd but if last couple of seasons are OK then that should reduce fears on that score.

Question is he good enough is fair. I would say he is for a squad player and he's actually far better than what we have had in previous title winning seasons. If you want more than a squad player then you make life difficult for Stones. We should have done this much earlier in the window. Looks to me like we have got the Mbappe cash burning a hole in our pocket and we thought well we might as well buy some insurance at the back. If you don't want Evans, who do you want to cover Kompany? This has been asked a 100 times so far. Still no sensible answers, and the advantage of Evans is that he is home grown. Significant evn if most fans can't be bothered with the bureaucracy

As the days and hours slip by the fee becomes less important indeed we may end up paying 30m for him unless an alternative turns up at the last minute which may have to be homegrown. I agree he would be a valuable squad player and I would be interested to see if he has improved since his days at the swamp. WBA seem to rate him highly.

Disagree. Squad last season was unbalanced. Fullbacks nowhere near good enouugh. If you think the squad was good enough, then why did we finish about 15 points behind Chelsea? We were also short up front last season until Jesus arrived and then he got injured.

Lost count of the number of times Guardiola complained about inefficiency in both boxes and that was justified complaint in my opinion and down to the players he had.

Irrespective of individual areas, we had the strongest squad. The fact we finished so far behind Chelsea IMO was not to do with the squads capability, it was simply there didn't perform to that which I believe was Pep's message

Irrespective of individual areas, we had the strongest squad. The fact we finished so far behind Chelsea IMO was not to do with the squads capability, it was simply there didn't perform to that which I believe was Pep's message

I don't see how we had the strongest squad last season.

GK's? God no. Spurs, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Liverpool all better. I'd rank us 6th.

CB's? No. Chelsea & Spurs definitely better. United probably too, 4th at best for us.

Fullbacks? No. Chelsea, Spurs, United, Liverpool better. 6th for us.

Midfield? Maybe. Not definitively though. I'll give us 1st though.

Forwards? Nah - not with Jesus not playing. 3rd.

Depth? Not good.

This season.

GK should be at least on a par with Chelsea, Spurs and better than pool and Arsenal.

CB's won't be as good as Spurs or Chelsea unless Kompany is fit, but if he is there'll be parity.

Fullbacks will be as good as anyone's, if not better. 1st

Midfield is probably still the best. 1st

Forwards are definitely the best. x2 if Sanchez arrives. 1st

Depth? The best by a distance with the likes of Sané, Sterling, Silva, Danilo all likely to see a lot of the bench.

Now we can claim the best squad, last year, no way.

Last edited:

GK's? God no. Spurs, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Liverpool all better.

CB's? No. Chelsea & Spurs definitely better.

Fullbacks? No. Chelsea, Spurs, United, Liverpool better.

Midfield? Maybe. Not definitively though.

Forwards? Nah - not with Jesus not playing.

Put it all together in one team & we had the best squad imo, but not how they actually performed.

GK's? God no. Spurs, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Liverpool all better. I'd rank us 6th.

CB's? No. Chelsea & Spurs definitely better. United probably too, 4th at best for us.

Fullbacks? No. Chelsea, Spurs, United, Liverpool better. 6th for us.

Depth? Not good.

This season.

GK should be at least on a par with Chelsea, Spurs and better than pool and Arsenal.

CB's won't be as good as Spurs or Chelsea unless Kompany is fit, but if he is there'll be parity.

Depth? The best by a distance with the likes of Sané, Sterling, Silva, Danilo all likely to see a lot of the bench.

Will simply have to agree to disagree.

Fullbacks? No. Chelsea, Spurs, United, Liverpool better. 6th for us. Liverpool? Milner and Moreno we're arguably as bad as Kolarov and Clichy.

Depth? Not good.

This season.

This reminds me of the situation with Wilf Bony. Forgetting how it actually turned out with him being unfit for purpose, the basic question was, is it smart to buy an OK older striker for 30 Mill or get a younger Worldy for about double ?

Not sure if Pep had any input into Bony purchase but he will for sure have in this case.

For what it is worth - I am out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.