Squad shape/formations

Also the tempo thing, if we want to have these blistering 10 or 15 minute periods where nobody can get near us, we have to play periods of slower stuff. it's just the way it is. last night showed we really should have had 3 goals, all in those high-pace periods but they are only effective because of a) the change in pace/intensity and b) we couldnt do that for 90 mins!!

Also the tempo thing, if we want to have these blistering 10 or 15 minute periods where nobody can get near us, we have to play periods of slower stuff. it's just the way it is. last night showed we really should have had 3 goals, all in those high-pace periods but they are only effective because of a) the change in pace/intensity and b) we couldnt do that for 90 mins!!

i agree, but we should be blitzing the opponents from the start of the game, not giving them an easy 1st 20mins while they get nice and settled. i really cant fathom why we dont utilize the athleticism and superior quality of our players to make an impression earlier in games.

its like we get dragged down to the opponents level of shiteness. we have to snap out of this slow build up early in the game, get a fucking goal and put the opposition under pressure. we are playing at home, so use the home advantage. everton (and 80% of other teams that we play at home) will be very happy with the slooooooooow build ups and passing the ball to death around the box.

Agree. Thought this was especially obvious last night, and was clearly something that Koeman had instructed them to do.

The other issue of course is that the system nullifies what was our single greatest attacking threat last season - Sane and Sterling running in behind the opponent's full-backs.

As you say, nothing wrong with having it as an option - though to be honest, I probably prefer last season's variation of the 3-2-4-1. Sure, it left us exposed to balls into the channel (thouh no more so than in the first 10 mins last night), but at least it meant that Sterling and Sane could play in their proper positions and we remained a real attacking threat. But in general, three at the back just doesn't really suit our current players and seems - to me at least - to be a system that, at the moment, detracts from, rather than maximises, our attacking potential. I find it all the more frustrating because a back four of Walker, Kompany, Otamendi/Stones and Mendy would be as good as anything in the league - I can't see what it is that Pep thinks the advantage of the extra centre half to be.

I think the major advantage he sees is not necessarily in the 3 centre halves themselves, it's what it allows us to do elsewhere. It allows us to keep the central midfield 3 shape that he likes, and also get Aguero and Jesus together up front, in the middle.

I guess the other idea is that last season with 4 at the back and our full backs pushed right on, it meant we were often left defending counter attacks with essentially 2 (the two centre backs) which left us horribly vulnerable to direct balls down the channel and quick counters. I guess the idea of playing 3 centre backs is that it gives us more cover in those situations.

The system is terrible for the players we have. Utterly baffling that he's had all summer,spent a shitload and we look so slow and ponderous in this system. No fault of the players either because who would expect a centre back to create in the final 3rd?

We have 2 strikers and 3 CBs. In this situation it makes sense to play one up top, and a back four.

The current set up is only 2 injuries away from having to be binned. Unless he is trying to make a point to the owners.

The system is terrible for the players we have. Utterly baffling that he's had all summer,spent a shitload and we look so slow and ponderous in this system. No fault of the players either because who would expect a centre back to create in the final 3rd?
Here is the problem. Chelsea went 3-4-3 last year. 2 energetic midfielders, 2 energetic wing backs, 2 decent wingers and a strong striker plus 3 decent defenders. You can see why it would work. Too me our strikers are not a pair, midfielders look lost and the fullbacks are so high but without the skill to beat a very deep defence.

Too me this league is there for us. What will wreck it is not signing can cover on the left of defence, not signing a striker but most of all messing around with the system. If we'd stuck to something around 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3 we'll be fine. I think Pep over complicates things.

i agree, but we should be blitzing the opponents from the start of the game, not giving them an easy 1st 20mins while they get nice and settled. i really cant fathom why we dont utilize the athleticism and superior quality of our players to make an impression earlier in games.

its like we get dragged down to the opponents level of shiteness. we have to snap out of this slow build up early in the game, get a fucking goal and put the opposition under pressure. we are playing at home, so use the home advantage. everton (and 80% of other teams that we play at home) will be very happy with the slooooooooow build ups and passing the ball to death around the box.
Derby at the rags in 13/14 should be the way we start every game

Pep should play simple football.
play the game which suitable with the player he have.
the fans want result and consistency, not just winning on possession.
i hate slow build up and useless sideways passing.
3 CBs passing sideways to each other is complete clueless and waste of time.

pacy player like Sane, Sterling and Aguero should play every game.
with intention to attack every time when we have the first ball, not just to retain possession.

Last edited:
3-5-2 turgid to watch = hope we don't stick with it all season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.