Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow....

He could literally score 40 this year and you wouldn't let up on the lad.

Just as a bit of perspective, you should realise that having players that drive at defences is the only way pep wants his team to play. You can see sterling, sane or Jesus lose possession in the last 3rd, however watch our shape when they do so, it's high percentage play as we invariably turn the ball back over very quickly, it's designed as such, hence guardiola looks like he'll stab someone when it's needlessly played long.... "to be or not to be" (:

Regardless of the system, raz looks to me, like one of the players who will go up another notch after a year of peps coaching, if he does then think what that means for the impact on the team and the stats he'll be dishing out!

"At the start he said 'I'm not going to teach you how to dribble -- you know how to do to that,'

"The coach is someone that -- if you lose the ball after a one-on-one, he won't be angry with you.

"He'll always encourage you to continue by saying to you 'if you don't get by once, twice, three times, you'll get by the next time.'"

"In the game, when you're faced by two or three players, you know that there's a risk of losing the ball.

"But you know that the coach understands that risk. From the start of the season, I remember him telling me after a match 'don't ever stop yourself from dribbling.'"

- Kingsley Coman on Guardiola 2016.
I also think this will be something of a threshold year for Sterling. He's on the tipping point of greatness, and I think being a little older, a little more comfortable with Pep and a bit more confident will push him over the edge. The scoring opportunities he's so great at finding will start to get put away, and once the ball gets rolling it won't stop.

Wow....

Just as a bit of perspective, you should realise that having players that drive at defences is the only way pep wants his team to play. You can see sterling, sane or Jesus lose possession in the last 3rd, however watch our shape when they do so, it's high percentage play as we invariably turn the ball back over very quickly, it's designed as such, hence guardiola looks like he'll stab someone when it's needlessly played long.... "to be or not to be" (:

Regardless of the system, raz looks to me, like one of the players who will go up another notch after a year of peps coaching, if he does then think what that means for the impact on the team and the stats he'll be dishing out!

His stats last year were pretty impressive. Table below is based on the best from the Big 6 for all comps from Transfer Mrkt data and excludes out and out strikers:

28w1cgg.jpg

Not bad for someone infuriatingly inconsistent :) The rags were included for laughs...

Wow....

I hope you are right and he makes me eat my words but for someone who has had several years in the PL, he IMO remains far too inconsistent. He shows glimpses now and then, but for every great bit, it is equaled by some poor decision making etc. Anyway, this is simply my opinion and I respect yours and the others who responded to my post.

Still only 22 mind. I think there's a great player in there he just needs some consistent game time. 10 goals and 21 assists last season if he can get the total tally nearer 40 this season I'd be very pleased.

One of my favourite players. Backed him when we signed him, backed him to go up a level under Pep. Voted for him as our player of the season last year (very close with Silva and Aguero). Backing him now to go up another level, hope he gets 15-20 goals all comps.

Honestly we need to start educating the masses with stats like the above, he compares favourably to some of the best in Europe too from other comparisons I've seen and I think some will be shocked to see the stats that back up what a lot of blues have been saying.

He can't seem to shake this preconceived perception of him people have, before he even steps onto the field they've wrote him off(the boo Sterling vibe... or oh no not Sterling with some blues)and seem to dismiss anything decent he does whilst they magnify the most insignificant things. Haven't there been games where he's had assists and goals and there's still blues claiming he had a bad game in the post match or did I imagine it?

Honestly we need to start educating the masses with stats like the above, he compares favourably to some of the best in Europe too from other comparisons I've seen and I think some will be shocked to see the stats that back up what a lot of blues have been saying.

He can't seem to shake this preconceived perception of him people have, before he even steps onto the field they've wrote him off(the boo Sterling vibe... or oh no not Sterling with some blues)and seem to dismiss anything decent he does whilst they magnify the most insignificant things. Haven't there been games where he's had assists and goals and there's still blues claiming he had a bad game in the post match or did I imagine it?

I dont think anyone disputes that he has the quality, the frustration (certainly from me), is that he lacks consistency and still has far too many faults per game. Now I accept some will see that as development / youth etc, but for someone well honed to the PL, they should be significantly reducing and in my view, atm, they are not.

I dont think anyone disputes that he has the quality, the frustration (certainly from me), is that he lacks consistency and still has far too many faults per game. Now I accept some will see that as development / youth etc, but for someone well honed to the PL, they should be significantly reducing and in my view, atm, they are not.

You don't think they reduced last season compared to the season before?

Did you know that Sterling has bagged the same amount of senior goals (all comps) than Shearer has at the same age? We really need to give these young lads a break, let them develop and support them while they are.

Last edited:
He's my favourite player for us. Lovely volley, I hope he has a magnificent year with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.