How good were Pink Floyd?

The thing is I think I would probably pass Roger on the street without saying a word to him. I really don't think I'd like him at all.

He's an angry man and who can blame him. But on a positive note he has been able to channel aspects of that anger, bitterness and cynicism into creating some brilliant songs.

On a tangential note, I have a lot of time for Fish ex of Marillion as a lyricist, and I enjoy both his band and solo work. However I met him once and was somewhat underwhelmed, so I think you may have a point.
Never meet your 'heroes' ;-)

That is the main reason mate. I'm afraid actually meeting him would destroy the musical status he has held in my life for the last 30+ years. Once he became the driving force of Pink Floyd (DSOTM onwards) and then his solo work have without doubt been the biggest musical influence of my life.

He's an angry man and who can blame him. But on a positive note he has been able to channel aspects of that anger, bitterness and cynicism into creating some brilliant songs.

Absolutely. For me his greatest ever lyrics were on the song The Final Cut on the Album of the same name. Lyrics of the highest quality but also a massive insight into to his mindset during those years. Awesome

The Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A museum is excellent and well worth the £20 if anyone was considering going.

Went there in May when it first opened. From walking through the 'Tour Bus' entrance to sitting in the 'Sound and Vision' room at the end was just the best experience for me. My phone memory is seriously depleted with all the photo's and video's I took. Just great to bounce thoughts on the Floyd (and Roger) with like minded Blues, especially when I see a new thread has been started about not really being bothered by music. That's a shame in my book.

One thing that has always been noteworthy of Pink Floyd is their fans kind of straddle two camps. You have the 'Syd the real genius" ones who worship everything Pre-Gilmour. And then the ones who laud the Waters-helmed albums as the masterpieces.
I think that Barrett was definately unique. He played guitar in an inventive manner and sang in a uniquely English way. But would Floyd have survived once the psychedelic party era wore off? I doubt it. Gilmour was the musical virtuoso that stoked Floyd's creativity. He gave discipline and color to Water's ideas. In the same way John Frusciante did for the RHCP or Andy Summers with the police.
How good were Pink Floyd? Well, they were more than the sum of their parts like the best bands are. But Nick Mason isn't Bill Bruford and Roger Waters doesn't have Geddy Lee's chops.

One thing that has always been noteworthy of Pink Floyd is their fans kind of straddle two camps. You have the 'Syd the real genius" ones who worship everything Pre-Gilmour. And then the ones who laud the Waters-helmed albums as the masterpieces.
I think that Barrett was definately unique. He played guitar in an inventive manner and sang in a uniquely English way. But would Floyd have survived once the psychedelic party era wore off? I doubt it. Gilmour was the musical virtuoso that stoked Floyd's creativity. He gave discipline and color to Water's ideas. In the same way John Frusciante did for the RHCP or Andy Summers with the police.
How good were Pink Floyd? Well, they were more than the sum of their parts like the best bands are. But Nick Mason isn't Bill Bruford and Roger Waters doesn't have Geddy Lee's chops.

I love Syd Barrett's songs on the first PF album, they're absolutely brilliant. His solo albums are generally poor though. He was obviously very unwell.

You could actually watch them clean and I saw them twice back in the day 1977, and 1980 in such a state.

Now if you were on LSD or other such substances you probably got an enhanced performance I don't know, but as the program stated "Their will be enough explosions to blow your mind".

The first time I ever saw laser beams used at a live gig, plus a plane crashing into the stage, an inflatable pig that blew up and quadrophonic sound with six huge speaker stacks. You didn't need drugs to blow your mind trust me.

Pink Floyd live at Stafford Bingley Hall 30-03-1977 was the greatest and best gig I've ever seen and I've seen a few including Oasis 15 times!!!
I was at that gig at Bingley Hall. Drove from Manchester in a 1965 Hillman Imp I had just bought. Thought it was 30 minutes down the road....just made it in time. Brilliant night.

Interesting - and I'm a massive Rush fan btw, and I enjoyed Bruford with Genesis and Yes - but I do think your last sentence is confusing who is the best/most virtuoso player, with who produced the best music - not necessarily the same thing. Clearly Geddy Lee is a better bass player, but Waters playing was more than adequate for what was needed in Floyd - - because the the quality of their songwriting was so great. I wont compare them as lyricists as obvs Peart wrote the lyrics, but Waters wins on that count too imho

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.