We have one of the most negative fan bases in football

The amount of negativity from our fans about City at the moment is absolutely staggering, and during a time where we're literally living the greatest era in the club's history.

You think all those negative media articles and news stories have no impact but they do. They create a mood of negativity, something which festers in the back of the mind. It means you'll be set alight more easily at the slightest mishap or mistake.

I'm not sure City fans are much worse than fans of any other big club, but it is true that fans moan now more than ever before in my living memory.

There are a few reasons:

1. raised expectations due to investment mean success is now achievable (and should be guaranteed according to some fans and the media, despite only 1 team being able to win the league a year and 5 clubs all expecting to). Which is counter intuitive in some ways as this is the best City team of all time (or top 3).

2. Social media giving more ways to be spew negativity (and absorb it)

3. So much coverage and analysis these days that even the people you knew at school who used to play basketball cos they couldn't play and weren't arsed about football are now self proclaimed tactical masters

So I wouldn't say it's a City only problem, but it makes the match day experience less and less enjoyable. Moaning at the team and Guardiola if we are not winning after 15 mins. Booing if not winning at half time. Getting on a players back after their first mistake. Tedious stuff that belies the idea that the we are 'supporters'. I honestly feel we can take no credit for helping the team to succeed.

Grumbling between games is what fans do and part of the fun. But we should switch that off for the 90 mins we play.

Last edited:
Your view... IMO is far too simplistic.

For the record, I'm very happy with our performances thus far and think we'll win the league.

But...

Pep's style of football - ball retention, counter-press, play-it-from-the-back, even when dangerous - is foreign to many of our long-time fans. I can see why many fans are very upset by our start especially those who really liked Joe Hart.

As for CL draw/transfer window complaints - perhaps some think this way -but really - to characterize the average City fan of holding these sentiments is ridiculous.

Our transfer window has been fucking fantastic - wish we could have gotten Alves - other than that, far better than I expected; addressing huge problems at full back, while unexpectedly adding B. Silva.

And we might still land Sanchez - which makes things even better.
========
So...

Are you confusing random Internet posts with posts from City fans? It seems to me that you are.

We have the best manager in World Football - we have an extremely wealthy owner, willing to spend big - and we have a management team that is 100% behind our manager.

We play exciting, attacking football in the most competitive league in the world.

Most City fans are absolutely ecstatic - I certainly am.

Meanwhile, anyone at all is free to post in the Internet.

Nailed it. OP may be on to something, but I think it's just the world we live in. Don't think it's City specific. At least not from my perspective.

Give me 5 mins and I can find you hundreds of internet comments where United supporters have more to say than just a single bad word about Mou.

When there is clearly an agenda led by the media, some weaker minded people will swallow the bullshit hook line and sinker. My only issue, that will never go away, is how Mancini was undermined, it showed an utter lack of respect for the aspirations and hopes of the fans during that season.

My Grandad was the biggest moaner that ever lived when it came to City and he followed em from the 30's until the early 80's ... As loyal as you could ever be and never missed a game...
I've inherited all his traits and moan like fuck when I feel I need to...
The OP is taking complete and utter drivel, it's how we roll, it's called living and breathing City and caring about the club....
and another thing, ticket info dissemination is absolute shit at City....Pisses me right off.... To Feyenoord n back ...!

My Grandad was the biggest moaner that ever lived when it came to City and he followed em from the 30's until the early 80's ... As loyal as you could ever be and never missed a game...
I've inherited all his traits and moan like fuck when I feel I need to...
The OP is taking complete and utter drivel, it's how we roll, it's called living and breathing City and caring about the club....
and another thing, ticket info dissemination is absolute shit at City....Pisses me right off.... To Feyenoord n back ...!

Went to the Everton game in a new seat in the Colin Bell stand. My god the moaners, loud mouthed as well as they seemed to want everyone to here their ridiculous comments. Not sure I could stand sitting there every week if they keep turning up and spouting off.

I spose it's all about opinions but it would be a bit better if the moaners could tone it down a bit or keep the moaning till they go to the pub with their mates...er never mind

One of my favorite City moments, at the City vs Spurs game back a few years ago, where a draw meant we qualified for champions league, and a mate who has been a 20 year season ticket holder came back to a group of us at half time while we were 1-0 up and dominating (and on way to FA Cup final)... he had a face like a slapped arse and said "10 bloody minutes to get a pint". That about sums us up. Champions league qualification after 30 plus years of mediocrity, and we are moaning about the line for our halftime pint.

Absolute shite thread , lived in Spain for a while and watched Malaga occasionally and their supporters moan like f*ck at times also been to many premier league games over the years as a guest at Dippers , Everton , Blackburn , Bolton , Blackpool , Wigan and more and they are no different , a fair percentage of moaners amongst the home crowd. If you support a football club to be "happy go lucky" then choose a different sport because its no bed of roses at any level of the game ,and if you do not witness the lows of your football club how can you enjoy the highs so much , (unless your a spineless Rag who rarely been out of the top 4 and only support them because they collect trophies)

I think it's an historical thing, and is still in the make up of a lot o=f us supporters.

Also without sounding ungrateful as the last 5 years have been more than I ever expected, the owners want us to compete wit RM / Barca and BM yet we struggled to qualify for CL last season. I thin a lot of supporters expected us to be like PSG but that hasn't happened

When there is clearly an agenda led by the media, some weaker minded people will swallow the bullshit hook line and sinker. My only issue, that will never go away, is how Mancini was undermined, it showed an utter lack of respect for the aspirations and hopes of the fans during that season.
That's true. We've had it for nearly 10 years now so I would have thought people would have got used to it by now. I just roll my eyes and get on with my day when I see a article or a tweet which is clearly aimed to ruffle some feathers.

Some truth to the OP thread. Have felt a change in the mood over the past 15 years....even in terms of singing. We used to sing a lot more, from pre-game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.