Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your last line lol,juliet thread anyone?
Contrast Sterling's early start with Mbappe's or for that matter Pulisic at Dortmund.

MBappe and Pulisic are young and a bit inconsistent - but there's nothing at all to indicate that either player won't become one of the world's best - if not the absolute best - at their positions. Either player could of course flop and be out of a top squad within a year or two - too early to tell.

But for sure, Sterling, isn't in this category - he'll never be the world's best winger.
======
Edit - perhaps Sterling's biggest weakness is a lack of self-belief. He's super-talented - but really seems to dread taking a shot on goal - frequently passing when shooting is the better opportunity.

If we can improve his self-confidence, Sterling will perform much better.

Last edited:
I don't appreciate Southgate's comments. I know he means well, but he shouldn't be saying that Raheem can handle the criticism. He should be telling the world to back off.

Contrast Sterling's early start with Mbappe's or for that matter Pulisic at Dortmund.

MBappe and Pulisic are young and a bit inconsistent - but there's nothing at all to indicate that either player won't become one of the world's best - if not the absolute best - at their positions. Either player could of course flop and be out of a top squad within a year or two - too early to tell.

But for sure, Sterling, isn't in this category - he'll never be the world's best winger.
======
Edit - perhaps Sterling's biggest weakness is a lack of self-belief. He's super-talented - but really seems to dread taking a shot on goal - frequently passing when shooting is the better opportunity.

Why does he has to be the worlds best winger? you are setting him out to be a failure even if he ends up a very special player but not the best in the world

Why does he has to be the worlds best winger? you are setting him out to be a failure even if he ends up a very special player but not the best in the world
Where did I say that he was a failure?

He's an integral part of our side and should mostly start when fit. This from a club expecting to compete for the C/L title.

Why the fuck did you attack my post?

Sterling isn't in contention for world's best winger, and obviously never, ever, ever will be. Unless you're totally lacking in football judgement or are wearing blue tinted glasses.

Me - I love our side - but I think I can rationally evaluate our players without bias for our club.

Where did I say that he was a failure?

He's an integral part of our side and should mostly start when fit. This from a club expecting to compete for the C/L title.

Why the fuck did you attack my post?

Sterling isn't in contention for world's best winger, and obviously never, ever, ever will be. Unless you're totally lacking in football judgement or are wearing blue tinted glasses.

Me - I love our side - but I think I can rationally evaluate our players without bias for our club.
Sorry it wasn't meant as an attack
Saying he will never ever ever will be is writing off his prospects way too soon

Sorry it wasn't meant as an attack
Saying he will never ever ever will be is writing off his prospects way too soon
I think not.

I've tried to draw the contrast between Sterling and other young players like Mbappe and Pulisic.

The later two (especially Mbappe) don't seem to have intrinsic weaknesses that they'll never be able to overcome.

By contrast, Sterling is now and has been in the past inconsistent and lacking in confidence.

I will give you this though - if by some miracle Sterling becomes brashly over-confident, he'd at least be top class so long as his speed of foot remains - 28 or so.

The guy can put the ball past defenders/dribble past them - no problem - it's after this happens that his game now, and always has - breaks down.
====
Still - he's a starter for me. And lately, clutch when we need goals.
====
The reason that the "world-class" criterion crops up is that we're striving to be the best club in world football - along the way to a successful C/L title, we'll face top, top clubs with mostly world class footballers at each position. In this rarefied competition, will Sterling hold up? - I mostly think so - offering a threat due to speed and the ability to beat defenders one-on-one - but will our opposition winger, the opponent playing Sterling's position on the counter side - will that person be more of a threat/better defensively/more of an asset to their side than Sterling is to ours? - sometimes, that will for sure happen. Because Sterling isn't a top-5 winger in world football.

Last edited:

======

Pulisic dead certainly to be the best in the world in his position? Ha!

You might as well just write IM AN OVERLY OPTIMISTIC AMERICAN on your forehead.

The kid has accomplished absolutely nothing, even compared to Sterling, let alone players you deem world class.

Always worth a reminder that Sterling either scored or created 23% of our goals last season.

Pulisic dead certainly to be the best in the world in his position lol.

You might as well just write IM AN OVERLY OPTIMISTIC AMERICAN on your forehead.

The kid has accomplished absolutely nothing, even compared to Sterling, let alone players you deem world class.
Sterling dead certainly to be the best in the world in his position lol.

You might as well just write IM AN OVERLY OPTIMISTIC ENGLISHMAN on your forehead.

The kid has accomplished absolutely nothing, even compared to Pulisic, let alone players you deem world class.
===
C wut eye dyud?
===
Edit - Pulisic has a far higher upside than Sterling (they don't play the same position, yes).

But attacking mid is so crowded with talent that unless he's Xavi/Inessta-like, he'll be great for sure but nothing hugely special.

Mbappe, on the other hand, may be - just might - be a Balon'Dior winner in years to come (I don't think that Puisic is in this category, but who knows).
=====
Meanwhile, team USA is dire, LOL. Hopefully we'll qualify for the WC. Hopefully we'll get a weak group and get into the knockout round. If we do that, I'm happy. USA is far, far, far from close to being a top club in world football - maybe 8 years from now we'll be better as the sport gains popularity in the States.

England has a decently talented side. Should make it into the knockouts easily and from there it's luck of the draw.

France is fucking amazing though - Belgium has talent everywhere - Spain is strong again and Brazil is resurgent - Germany remains a force.

France/Brazil for me are the top sides now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.