We've got enough....

I'm old fashioned, we need someone to kick arse when the going gets tough, someone with the know how a snide piece of shit who will do the necessary when needed

We may have to wing it a bit at CDM and left-back at times but I don't agree with the idea we have a thin squad.

We may have to wing it a bit at CDM and left-back at times but I don't agree with the idea we have a thin squad.

It partly depends on whether Pep sees Delph and Mangala as genuine members of the squad or just there to make up the numbers. If, for example, Pep would want to play 3 at the back in a particular game but one of the centre backs is unavailable, will he play Mangala? Or will he switch to a back 4 or play another player in a 3?

It partly depends on whether Pep sees Delph and Mangala as genuine members of the squad or just there to make up the numbers. If, for example, Pep would want to play 3 at the back in a particular game but one of the centre backs is unavailable, will he play Mangala? Or will he switch to a back 4 or play another player in a 3?
This.

I don't think that Pep sees Mangala or Delph as serious contenders for squad positions. We could really use:
* another world class c/b
* another world class f/b
* a central attacker who can create by dribbling past set defenders on a consistent basis
* possibly another great keeper (Bravo was great until he joined us - if he recovers form we're in good shape - otherwise we're an injury to Ederson away from struggling in goal)

So for me - our squad is good enough to win the P/L barring misfortune of some sort.

But we could improve in each of the areas listed above, making out title claim all the stronger - and improving our chances in the C/L.

This.

I don't think that Pep sees Mangala or Delph as serious contenders for squad positions. We could really use:
* another world class c/b
* another world class f/b
* a central attacker who can create by dribbling past set defenders on a consistent basis
* possibly another great keeper (Bravo was great until he joined us - if he recovers form we're in good shape - otherwise we're an injury to Ederson away from struggling in goal)

So for me - our squad is good enough to win the P/L barring misfortune of some sort.

But we could improve in each of the areas listed above, making out title claim all the stronger - and improving our chances in the C/L.

Have no idea what you mean by "central attacker with dribbling", such players simply don't exist unless you're referring to O Fenomeno or Messi. Could you provide an example?
We already have a young talanted striker in Jesus who is good enough with Aguero as his competitor. Don't think he needs a replacement.

I would say, the priorities are:
- Clinical hybrid forward to play as inside forward - Alexis, Griezmann as Mbappe is unavailable. Clinical finishing would immediately improve all phases of play, including defending as the teams will start to fall back in numbers against us and attack more cautiously.
- DM/pivot, Dinho is horrible in this role, and it's not his fault. A move for Weigl should be made next summer.
- 1-2 CBs with playmaking abilities. A defender like Bonucci would drastically improve us just because he's a fantastic passer with a good vision. He doesn't even need to be better defensively than our current lot.
- press-resistant DLP with a good defensive attributes (ideally, not a dwarf) in case Gundogan struggles to get back to a required level and KdB doesn't work well there.

Last edited:
Have no idea what you mean by "central attacker with dribbling", such players simply don't exist unless you're referring to O Fenomeno or Messi. Could you provide an example?
We already have a young talanted striker in Jesus who is good enough with Aguero as his competitor. Don't think he needs a replacement.

I would say, the priorities are:
- Clinical hybrid forward to play as inside forward - Alexis, Griezmann as Mbappe is unavailable. Clinical finishing would immediately improve all phases of play, including defending as the teams will start to fall back in numbers against us and attack more cautiously.
- DM/pivot, Dinho is horrible in this role, and it's not his fault. A move for Weigl should be made next summer.
- 1-2 CBs with playmaking abilities. A defender like Bonucci would drastically improve us just because he's a fantastic passer with a good vision. He doesn't even need to be better defensively than our current lot.
- press-resistant DLP with a good defensive attributes (ideally, not a dwarf) in case Gundogan struggles to get back to a required level and KdB doesn't work well there.
Suarez, Messi, Neymar, Hazzard - someone like that - an a central playing attacker who can dribble past set defenses.

How many top players does Pep need? I don't understand some of the suggestions on here, if we needed 11 Sanchez quality-players on the pitch to win trophies then almost any competent manager can accomplish that.

If Pep can't win with what we have then it's his fault, the squad is very strong, he can adapt to it or get sacked.

How many top players does Pep need? I don't understand some of the suggestions on here, if we needed 11 Sanchez quality-players on the pitch to win trophies then almost any competent manager can accomplish that.

If Pep can't win with what we have then it's his fault, the squad is very strong, he can adapt to it or get sacked.
Nailed it .

Few of my criticisms of Pep:

1) Just play Delph as an inverted LB, I think he has the ability to atleast do that, and he has more pace than Dinho to sprint back. Adequate cover for Mendy imo.

2) It took him a whole year to try Sterling as a center forward, played him out wide all of last season and all of a sudden he is saying Sterling is better going at the CBs 1 on 1, how did he not figure this out about him, he played there all the time for Liverpool as a SS or CAM

3) If Aguero and Jesus aren't scoring goals then put Sane as one of the strikers instead, he has the pace and finishing he just is being asked to play soo wide he doesn't get goal scoring opportunities. I think him and Sterling are much faster than Jesus and Aguero, then if we persist with a 2 striker system play Sterling/Sane as the pacy forward, and Aguero/Jesus as the other forward.

4) If he wants to play Sane as a wing back then it has to be as an ultra attacking one, last season he actually had some spells where he looked good as a wing back (he terrorized Chelsea's Victor Moses), there is a problem if the other wingback (Walker) is attacking more than him, he needs to be used more like how Barca used Neymar last season in their 3-5-2 (3-3-4) experiment, where he played high and wide.

5) Don't play dinho in the 3-5-2 it is a terrible idea, you need creative midfielders in that setup, Toure/Gundogan/Zinchenko are much better suited.

6) FFS just turn Bernardo into Messi already, he isn't even fully fit or fully integrated and you can already see how amazing he will be for us, build the team around him and have Kevin and David support him in midfield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.