Kylian Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's ridiculous. I watched that game, he played mostly as RW alongside Griezmann, Giroud, Lemar and the greatest player ever Pogba and was France's best attacker, absolutely comfortable on the right.
For me, Mbappe is deceptively good - why "deceptive"?

Because as he receives the ball and moves forward he doesn't appear to do anything particularly tricky or skillful.
==========
What seems to set him apart is the pace at which he make his moves. He gets the ball - does some "meh" move - and instantly he's past a defender in good position - next thing you know he's made a shot on goal.
==========
I'm not at all sure that he's the next (real - Brazilian) Ronaldo - haven't seen him dribble past a bunch of set defenders - but he may be close. He gets the ball - does some quick move that defenders often can't cope with and has an on-target shot demanding a save from the opposing keeper.

For me, Mbappe is deceptively good - why "deceptive"?

Because as he receives the ball and moves forward he doesn't appear to do anything particularly tricky or skillful.
==========
What seems to set him apart is the pace at which he make his moves. He gets the ball - does some "meh" move - and instantly he's past a defender in good position - next thing you know he's made a shot on goal.
==========
I'm not at all sure that he's the next (real - Brazilian) Ronaldo - haven't seen him dribble past a bunch of set defenders - but he may be close. He gets the ball - does some quick move that defenders often can't cope with and has an on-target shot demanding a save from the opposing keeper.

Your comment about Mbappe's deceptiveness implicitly suggests that dribbling is somehow more valuable that quick passing game, doesn't it? It's maybe more spectacular but not necessarily more effective. You can stop any dribbler using the right tactics and commiting the right number of players. But there's no antidote to a clever passing game, especially in our era of 'soft' refereeing favouring attackers.

KM is surely not the greatest dribbler, but he doesn't have to be, you can see that he knows his limitations. Like you said, he reaches the same result using different tools, it's not like he's trying pointless dribbles and fails all the time. The mere comparisons with Ronaldo mean that he's doing something right :) On the other hand, I get the impression that Mbappe can play as a spearhead whilst pre-injury Ronaldo was quite average in the box. Mbappe is lean but powerful, guess he'll become a bit bulkier and more suitable for 9 role soon.

Last edited:
Phone rings
Mbappe : "Hi this is Kylian"
Wenger: "Hi Kylian, this is Arsene Wenger..."
*Click - phone hangs up
Wenger: "So close..."

Wenger is fast becoming a deluded joke. He should have left in the summer. He deserves some respect for the job he's done but you can't see this ending well for him. His press conferences are becoming cringe worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.