Notts County v City 11th Sept 2001

I went and I thought it was right to play it.

Thousands die every day around the world because of natural disasters, war, terrorism etc but generally if we're not directly affected we get on with our own lives and I didn't see that much difference with 9/11 just because this particular tragedy was being shown live on TV. That doesn't mean I had no sympathy for the victims, but there was nothing I could do about it and for me sitting looking at the TV was a less appealing option than going to the match.

9/11 2001. A day that sent shockwaves around the world when Chris Shuker scored for city.

Spent the afternoon with a coachload of blues in an ilkeston club. Didn't know anything had happened until after the match.

I was on holiday in Devon. I found out I was going to be a dad that day lierally as the towers were falling. At night I went to watch Plymouth v Swansea in the league cup. 3-0.

3 sides of the ground had been demolished as well. Strange strange day in my life.

Fucking wierd game that was.

I lived across the road from the ground at the time. Had a pre match point in The Plumtree pub at side of my road with Sky News on loop showing what had happened in New York. It didn't feel right celebrating. IIRC wasn't it Simon Collisimo's debut?

Spent the entire first half drinking with Moonbeam in the Trent Navigation next door.
Staggered in at half time,a little worse for wear.
Next game,on the saturday,we put in a pathetic display at Coventry,great turn out of Blues,as per usual at Highfield road..
Can still remember starting the popular chant of "Things can only get better" as we went behind.
Dark days indeed.football wise,but had a great time in the pubs!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.