Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can be rash at times, but I still think he is more solid than Stones and Mangala, and clearly, Pep does agree with me since he the 2nd choice defender

There is a huge problem with Otamendi's game, his complete lack of composure when isolated by an opposing player. TIme & again he was completely out-maneuvered by Salah, which you can understand on the odd occasion as he's a good pacey player, but not every time. Stay on your feet, make the opposing player commit and allow your team to get back and cover. When it comes off for him he looks like a superstar, but that's not what we need in defence. Without Kompany, we need leaders and Otamendi with his experience, should be a leader, but he's not.

That's not what happened. If you actually watch the replay, you'll see Danilo (and Stones & Walker) step up playing an offside trap, only for Otamendi to be playing Mané onside because he's so terrified of Salah he's dropped 5 yards deeper than everyone else.

A lot of people keep saying "It's not fair, Otamendi's being put in a position he can't play due to being slow" but that's irrelevant. The high line is crucial to how we play, as is the fullbacks pushing up high and wide - those can't change, so he either needs to find a way to cope or we need to get someone who isn't a liability against anyone faster than a tugboat to play there instead.

Saying Otamendi would be great if we played a deep line is about as relevant as saying Peter crouch would be ideal if we wanted to knock balls into the box all game.

It was Otamendi's fault that Mane got away, as you say.

But imo it isn't actually fair to put him up against these guys anymore than it would be fair to.throw Tosin in there or put Silva at cb.

He isn't equipped to deal with it. So don't put him in that situation.

If that means he has to go, sell him. But it's not his fault he's being assigned a job he can't do.

It was Otamendi's fault that Mane got away, as you say.

But imo it isn't actually fair to put him up against these guys anymore than it would be fair to.throw Tosin in there or put Silva at cb.

He isn't equipped to deal with it. So don't put him in that situation.

If that means he has to go, sell him. But it's not his fault he's being assigned a job he can't do.
I think you're conveniently forgetting that statistically Otamendi is the best centre back in the history of the world.

I think you're conveniently forgetting that statistically Otamendi is the best centre back in the history of the world.

I imagine he was his usual statistically imperious self on Saturday.

I don't know which stat would cover his 'battle' with Salah. He didn't get close enough to register any stats most of the time. Heading away balls they tried to knock over his head perhaps (winning aerial challenges v Invisible man).

I don't know which stat would cover his 'battle' with Salah. He didn't get close enough to register any stats most of the time. Heading away balls they tried to knock over his head perhaps (winning aerial challenges v Invisible man).
His numbers must have been pretty good when it came to being left on his arse. Did actually feel sorry for him on Saturday, he knew he couldn't cope with Salah and in that position it was almost inevitable that he would panic and start making terrible decisions. It reminded me of Demichelis against united at home in his last season with us, a player who just didn't want to be there because he couldn't cope with what was happening.

Otamendi couldn't man mark a winger though could he?

Mendy by judgement or instruction gave Salah a massive corridor of space in which to work.

Last edited:
Otamendi couldn't man mark a winger though could he?

Mendy by judgement or instruction gave Salah a massive corridor of space in which to work in.

Otamendi can't man mark anyone with pace.

But that's what happens when you play 3 at the back. The bog standard, Sam Allardcyce, David Moyes tactic against it, is to knock the ball down the sides. There will be no fullback there, hence 3 'at the back'.

It would be 4 'at the back' if Mendy stayed & 5 'at the back' if Walker also stayed.

It was 3. One if which was Otamendi. Last season it was often Kolarov. If Pep had his way, it might have been Jonny Fucking Evans v Salah & Otamendi on the other side v Mane. Otta would have struggled much more v Mane than Danilo & JFE would likely have been as bad as Otamendi v Salah. Stones would likely have gone to pieces & Liverpool turned us over.

If we want to play this system v top teams, we should sign the players to play it. I'm not even convinced Kompany has a future in a back 3.

Otamendi can't man mark anyone with pace.

But that's what happens when you play 3 at the back. The bog standard, Sam Allardcyce, David Moyes tactic against it, is to knock the ball down the sides. There will be no fullback there, hence 3 'at the back'.

It would be 4 'at the back' if Mendy stayed & 5 'at the back' if Walker also stayed.

It was 3. One if which was Otamendi. Last season it was often Kolarov. If Pep had his way, it might have been Jonny Fucking Evans v Salah & Otamendi on the other side v Mane. Otta would have struggled much more v Mane than Danilo & JFE would likely have been as bad as Otamendi v Salah. Stones would likely have gone to pieces & Liverpool turned us over.

If we want to play this system v top teams, we should sign the players to play it. I'm not even convinced Kompany has a future in a back 3.

Kurt zouma looks a bit of a beast, Chelsea wouldn't let him join us though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.