City v Liverpool - Post Match Thread

Personally, the thing that pleases me most is this.

Both times we have won the league recently we have given a fancied team a fucking good hiding early on. Under Mancini it was 5-1 away at Spurs early on. Under Pellegrini it was 4-1 at home against Wee Davy's rags. Both times, we kicked on and had really good autumn campaigns. Hoping for the same this season too.

Unfortunately we will not play against teams who will come at us every week and beating a progressive attacking Liverpool team is a different proposition to defeating the massed ranks of two banks of four with 2 holding midfielders in the space that we will have to face week in week out mostly.

Sane & Mendy plus KDB/Jesus showed the answer to that. Get balls into the box early & also fucking SHOOT & also, the occasional cross & header is not illegal.

Sane had more time than in a typical bus parking situation, but every game we play vs the bus parking types, we will have scores of situations where there is an opportunity to set up a first time shot & we hardly ever try to set up a shot & when the opportunity to shoot presents itself anyhow, we rarely take it.

If we play in early crosses & take on shots, it changes the mentality of the bus parkers, to get out & stop it, so they are more likely to leave the space we seek for our little threaded passes anyhow.

It's frustratingly simple imo, yet we have had this problem through Mancini, Pellegrini & Pep last season.

We have players who can cross & players who can shoot, so do it.

Personally, the thing that pleases me most is this.

Both times we have won the league recently we have given a fancied team a fucking good hiding early on. Under Mancini it was 5-1 away at Spurs early on. Under Pellegrini it was 4-1 at home against Wee Davy's rags. Both times, we kicked on and had really good autumn campaigns. Hoping for the same this season too.
The press always hype these games up, but the Liverpool game was billed as a potentially season defining game. Not sure it's that, but it's still a huge filip. It's got Jesus up and running, established Ederson as a good keeper and established a City fear factor. I know fans don't like teams parking the bus against us, but ultimately if you do that you will more than likely end up getting beat and coaches will look at the Liverpool game and think if I attack City, my team is going to end up getting thrashed.

having watched the game again this morning I have just realised that we don't score scruffy goals, our goals nearly always seem to be top quality, its good to be a blue and being able to watch such talent.

Unfortunately we will not play against teams who will come at us every week and beating a progressive attacking Liverpool team is a different proposition to defeating the massed ranks of two banks of four with 2 holding midfielders in the space that we will have to face week in week out mostly.

You may be right but the difference was not only the team we played but also our accuracy of shooting.
Incidentally LPool changed to a defensive formation after the red card and restricted us to 13 shots on goal but we got 10 of them on target hence our 5 goals.

Against massed ranks we usually generate more shots than we did against LPool but we have been inaccurate so if we keep our new found ability to hit the target goals will flow and our opponents may find their tactics are simply no longer working.

Sane & Mendy plus KDB/Jesus showed the answer to that. Get balls into the box early & also fucking SHOOT & also, the occasional cross & header is not illegal.

Sane had more time than in a typical bus parking situation, but every game we play vs the bus parking types, we will have scores of situations where there is an opportunity to set up a first time shot & we hardly ever try to set up a shot & when the opportunity to shoot presents itself anyhow, we rarely take it.

If we play in early crosses & take on shots, it changes the mentality of the bus parkers, to get out & stop it, so they are more likely to leave the space we seek for our little threaded passes anyhow.

It's frustratingly simple imo, yet we have had this problem through Mancini, Pellegrini & Pep last season.

We have players who can cross & players who can shoot, so do it.

Have to agree, it was really refreshing to see us shoot and score from outside of the box. And probably more importantly for Walker and Mendy to stay out wide and put in quick high quality crosses. It gives the team more options to break a side down.

You may be right but the difference was not only the team we played but also our accuracy of shooting.
Incidentally LPool changed to a defensive formation after the red card and restricted us to 13 shots on goal but we got 10 of them on target hence our 5 goals.

Against massed ranks we usually generate more shots than we did against LPool but we have been inaccurate so if we keep our new found ability to hit the target goals will flow and our opponents may find their tactics are simply no longer working.
My point was that our 1st 3rd 4th and 5th goals were scored having played through a stretched back 4 into space behind it or an unpressed fee shot. Against our usual opposition tactics that just won't happen as they will play deeper with no space and the amount of time Sane got to pick his spot will never happen.
We have yet to find a tried and trusted method to resolve the parked bus conundrum, I trust Pep and the quality of players we have to find a way though.

having watched the game again this morning I have just realised that we don't score scruffy goals, our goals nearly always seem to be top quality, its good to be a blue and being able to watch such talent.

Sterling at Bournemouth very scruffy, but i'll take it all day long

My point was that our 1st 3rd 4th and 5th goals were scored having played through a stretched back 4 into space behind it or an unpressed fee shot. Against our usual opposition tactics that just won't happen as they will play deeper with no space and the amount of time Sane got to pick his spot will never happen.
We have yet to find a tried and trusted method to resolve the parked bus conundrum, I trust Pep and the quality of players we have to find a way though.

If Mendy keeps playing those whipped crosses in it should help. Most of the park the bus teams we played last season packed the box and were quite happy to push us wide. The quality of the crosses was generally poor and we usually only had Aguero in the box to get on the end of them. Playing Aguero & Jesus should also help. its so much more difficult to defend when there are two attackers in the box.

The fact that we can now go wide or through the middle adds a new dimension to our attacking when playing against defensive teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.