City v Liverpool - Post Match Thread

I agree that this side has nowhere near reached its potential either and were still toying with what will work most efficiently. With Raheem and Gundogan to come back in and Bernado yet to reach maximum working temperature i'm looking forward to when we start to hit our straps, i really believe a few teams are going to get a fookin good hiding. Lets hope those red bastards are one of those teams!

My point was that our 1st 3rd 4th and 5th goals were scored having played through a stretched back 4 into space behind it or an unpressed fee shot. Against our usual opposition tactics that just won't happen as they will play deeper with no space and the amount of time Sane got to pick his spot will never happen.
We have yet to find a tried and trusted method to resolve the parked bus conundrum, I trust Pep and the quality of players we have to find a way though.

I agree, effectively the quality of our chances is lower with a packed defence yet we do shoot and have previously been inaccurate.
I am saying there are usually more than 13 of them against the masses but they rarely hit the target (they go wide of the goalposts). This problem occurred against quality opposition as well as those who came to frustrate.

I am therefore suggesting that our new found accuracy may make us more precise with our shooting with a good many of them on target. Otherwise we shoot with hope and desperation rather than intention to score.

The press always hype these games up, but the Liverpool game was billed as a potentially season defining game. Not sure it's that, but it's still a huge filip. It's got Jesus up and running, established Ederson as a good keeper and established a City fear factor. I know fans don't like teams parking the bus against us, but ultimately if you do that you will more than likely end up getting beat and coaches will look at the Liverpool game and think if I attack City, my team is going to end up getting thrashed.

I suspect most teams coming to the Etihad will think that anyway. I wonder whether, if you are the coach of Burnley, Stoke, West Brom etc if you leave the Etihad having lost 2-0 you actually think 'job done - never likely to get anything there anyway, and we've avoided the sort of thrashing that could make a big dent in our goal difference'. Once or twice a season a team will get something by parking the bus and nicking a late equaliser, or will score early and hang on for dear life (like Everton), but apart from three or four teams (one being Liverpool) I'm not sure how many opposition managers genuinely expect to leave the Etihad with as much as a point. Anyway, the demolition of Liverpool just reminds people the danger they are in when they come to City. And as you say, that can only be a good thing.

If Mendy keeps playing those whipped crosses in it should help. Most of the park the bus teams we played last season packed the box and were quite happy to push us wide. The quality of the crosses was generally poor and we usually only had Aguero in the box to get on the end of them. Playing Aguero & Jesus should also help. its so much more difficult to defend when there are two attackers in the box.

The fact that we can now go wide or through the middle adds a new dimension to our attacking when playing against defensive teams.

Completely agree. When teams park the bus by sitting back with two banks of four (or a bank of five and a bank of four) it becomes impossible to play those slide rule balls through as with Aguero's goal and Jesus's second. Shots from distance will often get blocked, and we haven't got a big centre forward to float high balls into. When you get the ball wide, and whip in low balls behind a defence, you create chances you won't create by trying to play through. I can well imagine that many teams will look at Mendy as more of a threat than Walker, but Walker has got the pace to get in behind without running offside and he is very capable of hitting low balls across between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot.

Even so, teams will keep us out this season by playing in a low block, but as we saw at Brighton the amount of work they have to put in will often mean that gaps start appearing later on, and even if it is 0-0 after an hour we can still win 2 or 3 nil. I think that is where Sane and Sterling will find their role this season.

Very enjoyable match. Glad Ederson is ok. I was worried sick when he was on the pitch not moving. Glad he's ok and already back out there!

We've been waiting for a match like that and regardless of what the media says, the red card wasn't the reason they were beaten.

We were about to light them up as is. Maybe not 5-0 but 3-0 type match for sure.

Also, I don't get the knock on our defence. Yeah, it's not where it will be in a month or so but last I checked we're not winning matches 5-4. The defence has been more than good enough.

Very enjoyable match. Glad Ederson is ok. I was worried sick when he was on the pitch not moving. Glad he's ok and already back out there!

We've been waiting for a match like that and regardless of what the media says, the red card wasn't the reason they were beaten.

We were about to light them up as is. Maybe not 5-0 but 3-0 type match for sure.

Also, I don't get the knock on our defence. Yeah, it's not where it will be in a month or so but last I checked we're not winning matches 5-4. The defence has been more than good enough.

Best defence in the league.

People moan about our defence but this season we have conceded a worldy from Daniels and a shot from eight yards that went off via a post. Chelsea have let in 5, Arsenal, Leicester and Liverpool 8, WHU 10 etc etc. It's not been a bad start considering we will get better at the back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.