Froome

Told you that it is a load of twaddle. Yes I have seen the latest times for ALL recent TT. I also know the screening that goes on in cycling on events like this. I take exception to people like you who only read headlines and are not interested in the hard work that riders put in to achieve these times. Having been a BC coach for many years I think I can speak from experience.

Fred, you’ve been a coach. And you honestly believe that times of 16.35 for 10 miles and 44.04 for a 25 miler THE NEXT day, by a 33 yr old are clean? That time for a 10, is faster than the record for a TEAM TIME TRIAL in the tour de france. So, yep, if you think a 33yr old Pole can outgun Orica Green Edge (holders of team trial record speed), and do it cleanly, yep, go ahead and believe. I’m sorry bud, but I call bullshit. I know exactly what hard work it takes to ride. I’ve done dozens of TTs. I’ve followed cycling all my life. I ride for a club in Manchester nad have done for years. And I know when something doesn’t ring true. And a 33yr old riding faster than a team of World Tour pros is utter, utter bullshit.

Fred, you’ve been a coach. And you honestly believe that times of 16.35 for 10 miles and 44.04 for a 25 miler THE NEXT day, by a 33 yr old are clean? That time for a 10, is faster than the record for a TEAM TIME TRIAL in the tour de france. So, yep, if you think a 33yr old Pole can outgun Orica Green Edge (holders of team trial record speed), and do it cleanly, yep, go ahead and believe. I’m sorry bud, but I call bullshit. I know exactly what hard work it takes to ride. I’ve done dozens of TTs. I’ve followed cycling all my life. I ride for a club in Manchester nad have done for years. And I know when something doesn’t ring true. And a 33yr old riding faster than a team of World Tour pros is utter, utter bullshit.
I assume you are the first person to notice the time and think of this?

BTW, today's clean is tomorrow's dirty, so what exactly is clean to you?

I read the first page of this thread and it was feel good, so even though I have little interest in cycling beyond the human achievement, I thought I'd see how it had devolved by skipping to last page.

Never disappointed! ;-)

Indeed. He was bitter as almost all of his contemporaries, who were winning, were doping.

Have you read Racing Through The Dark by David Millar? From that, I can understand why some doped. At the time, you could only win if you doped. That was the case for years. It's why I empathise with those doped and why Sean Kelly still remains one of my heroes regardless of the test results. He was more than a doper. He had qualities other dopers did not have. Possibly one of the toughest, most durable sportsperson I have ever witnessed.
“He had qualities other dopers did not have.” What would they be? An ability not to get caught? Kelly has always been full blown omertà on drugs. I don’t blame him. It would kill his legacy if he admitted to taking them. Yes, he was one tough bastard, yes, he was brilliant all year round, but let’s not forget, he was caught. Soemthing that can’t be said of Greg Lemond, the only cyclist I would ever bet my son’s life on being clean.

I assume you are the first person to notice the time and think of this?

BTW, today's clean is tomorrow's dirty, so what exactly is clean to you?

I read the first page of this thread and it was feel good, so even though I have little interest in cycling beyond the human achievement, I thought I'd see how it had devolved by skipping to last page.

Never disappointed! ;-)
Not sure I follow your logic…I’ve spelt out how ridiculously unfeasible it is for a 33yr old to outspeed a professional team. Am I the first to notice it? Er, probably not. And? Doesn’t make a jot of difference to the point I was making. You’d have thought, by the way, that such “unbelievable” times would have merited a pro-contract. If only to win the odd prologue. Surely those pro teams don’t detect something do they? I mean, what could be suspicious about a 33yr old riding faster than any professional team ever has?

Not sure I follow your logic…I’ve spelt out how ridiculously unfeasible it is for a 33yr old to outspeed a professional team. Am I the first to notice it? Er, probably not. And? Doesn’t make a jot of difference to the point I was making. You’d have thought, by the way, that such “unbelievable” times would have merited a pro-contract. If only to win the odd prologue. Surely those pro teams don’t detect something do they? I mean, what could be suspicious about a 33yr old riding faster than any professional team ever has?
I agree on the face of it, so why wasn't it an issue?

All I'm saying is: If someone cheated, surely such bold cheating would stick out like a flashing red light and be dealt with. Was it? If not, why not? Is there any "there" there?

Like I said, I was more interested in how things always seem to devolve from "What a brilliant...." to "That's bullshit and...." both on Bluemoon and in British society in general.

Living in the States, we have the "you can be President one day" mentality, whereas Britain seems to be a tad more cynical and likes to bash people who exceed their predetermined station in life. After all, "don't waste your time, you'll never be able to get there or do that" seems an entirely British sentiment.

I'm not opposed to healthy cynicism, but Britain (including its sports) seems like it is dripping with it on all fronts.

You're a cycling expert, I'm not. However, on another thread there's an airline Captain who doesn't believe in 9/11?! British fella. Shocker, not!!

I agree on the face of it, so why wasn't it an issue?

All I'm saying is: If someone cheated, surely such bold cheating would stick out like a flashing red light and be dealt with. Was it? If not, why not? Is there any "there" there?

Like I said, I was more interested in how things always seem to devolve from "What a brilliant...." to "That's bullshit and...." both on Bluemoon and in British society in general.

Living in the States, we have the "you can be President one day" mentality, whereas Britain seems to be a tad more cynical and likes to bash people who exceed their predetermined station in life. After all, "don't waste your time, you'll never be able to get there or do that" seems an entirely British sentiment.

I'm not opposed to healthy cynicism, but Britain (including its sports) seems like it is dripping with it on all fronts.

You're a cycling expert, I'm not. However, on another thread there's an airline Captain who doesn't believe in 9/11?! British fella. Shocker, not!!
Cynicism or Donald Trump? Tough choice.

Sky has been going for many years now and many riders have come and gone some riders as leaders of other teams. I think by now, if there had been any cheating, it would have come out. Also Kimmage did get close to sky and was given complete access and he even wrote a book about it. It is all innuendo and no real proof anywhere. Another case of he wins therefore he must cheat. Don't hear the same about any other sport. Cycling tests and finds the cheats to the best of its ability which is more than you can say for any other sport. Don't hear anything about how 'marvellous ' Mo Farah is. Unless of course you KNOW otherwise? No thought not. Unless you have concrete proof that these tough guys are cheating I suggest you keep your 'he won therefore he cheats' comments to yourself.

I do agree with the general thrust of your post, but I'm sure it was Walsh, not Kimmage who was given full access wasn't it? Kimmage is the sceptic's sceptic, and I could never imagine him giving sky a 100% endorsement.
I also would say based on what I've read and seen I'm not sure re Farah, and I think there are plenty, maybe a minority though, who also find his career pathway of a 'late developer' to be problematic. I'd also put Dame Kelly Holmes in that boat too, btw.
But I do, as things stand, still retain a belief in Froome. The one thing I'd like to know more on, and which I haven't read a clear account on, are speeds - I'm sure I've read average peleton/stage speeds are same as Armstrong era, and never really dipped after that - which would seem odd if the Tour was cleaner..
What I do think is 100% absolute cobblers is to single out Sky as being in some way more dubious than any other team in any respect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.