Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, I accept that in many ways the game is bent, and that certain other clubs benefit from that in various ways, but whenever questioning whether things are entirely as they seem, you have to apply logic - and logic tells me that the Premier League is richer than ever, and the principal reason for that is the latest tv deal that was negotiated off the back of the league providing the best entertainment, which is characterised by the fact that unlike Germany, Spain and Italy (where a total of four clubs can realistically win those leagues) the Premier League can be won by up to six clubs. That is its USP and we are very much a part of that. If earnings were down, then the counter-argument would carry significantly more force, as money usually provides the answer where human beings are concerned. In this instance, the answer appears to be that the Premier League does not hate our presence at the top table, for entirely commercial reasons. If we were to dominate, like united once did, then their perspective would doubtless change, but that is descending into the realms of speculation, for now at least.
I read it that competition is welcomed because that maintains interest but having a successful Man U within that scenario is the best possible outcome for the PL brand. It's not too big a leap of logic to see that they (United) will enjoy favourable conditions to encourage that to happen.

It is pretty easy to interpret it in that way though! He admits that Man Utd doing badly impacts the PL but that needs to be 'offset' (interesting word) by the need to show competition. He leaves no doubt that a successful Man U is 'good' for the PL from a business perspective.
There is a world of difference between preferring something and needing it, which is what was suggested as his quote, which he never said, so I disagree. People may interpret it that way, but I would suggest this if you're trying to advance an argument, misquoting someone does little but undermine it in the minds of those you are seeking to persuade :-)

It is pretty easy to interpret it in that way though! He admits that Man Utd doing badly impacts the PL but that needs to be 'offset' (interesting word) by the need to show competition. He leaves no doubt that a successful Man U is 'good' for the PL from a business perspective.
Do you think scudamore would want a repeat of whisky nose's dominance, or as it is right now?

I read it that competition is welcomed because that maintains interest but having a successful Man U within that scenario is the best possible outcome for the PL brand. It's not too big a leap of logic to see that they (United) will enjoy favourable conditions to encourage that to happen.
You could read it any number of ways, to suit whatever argument you fancied, mate. The human mind is a fascinating instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.