Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but less likely. Vinnie has a better reading of the game and understating of his role to limit the number of times he's caught in a foot race with a speedy opponent, this is Otamendi's biggest weakness for me.

I don't like to bash him as there are plenty of things I admire in his game but this is a serious flaw that is exposed time and again.
Under the same circumstances, Vinnie would have been left standing with Salah & Mane IMO.
We know Ota isn't the fastest, but as you say, he has other attributes that we have relied upon, so all good for me.

Under the same circumstances, Vinnie would have been left standing with Salah & Mane IMO.
We know Ota isn't the fastest, but as you say, he has other attributes that we have relied upon, so all good for me.

I don't think so because like I said above, he has the smarts not to let himself be exposed like that.

I don't think so because like I said above, he has the smarts not to let himself be exposed like that.
Yes he is smarter, but he has lost quite a bit of pace and, I did say under similar circumstances i.e. covering defender (Mendy) not offering much cover - but no probs with your view

Really hope Mangala plays tonight and takes his chance. Otamendi's best position is bench. Would be happy to see him play in the FA and League cups and nothing else.

A major liability.

It's worse than that though, because of Danilo plays him onside it's incredibly close and he's playing an offside trap with Walker and Stones.

Meanwhile Otamendi is 10 yards behind them, making their attempt to play offside completely redundant.

It seems despite being here the longest of the backline, he was the one who was clueless as to the system we were playing, in a world of his own.
Doma and @Nevilike Kneville Ok this is a bit old now, but for fuck sake, if you guys are going to analyze a clip and apportion blame. It would be nice if you actually... You know... Watch the god damned clip!

Let me break it down.
1. There was no offside trap being set. Domalino has been on some silly tactics talk over the last week. The goal of which is simple: Find a way to blame Otamendi.

2. I repeat, there was no offside trap being set. I mean this will be easy to spot if you were to, like you know, actially watch the clip rather than trying to fit the facts into your narrative.

Watch again, Stones was not stepping up to set an offside trap, he was anticipating a pass to. Firmino, and he was initiating his press. Something we do all over the field.Watch closely, he, John Stones, went from east to west and only slightly north. His movement were simply to close Firmino down. Doesn't make much insight to see this.

Danilo on the other hand panicked as Mane's crossing run flashed past him and hoped to get him offside by taking a step up late.

Well he failed. And even if he had succeeded, it would have still been his fault. There was no justifable reason to think an offside trap was warranted or executable.

For what its worth, the bigger error on that play was the lack of pressure on Matip. When our CBs squeeze the field like that, the forwards have to press the ball. The pass out of the back cannot be an easy one. Matipbjad too much space and time, and easily picked out a Mane run.

TJust wanted to clear that up. Even though its so last week :)

I like that he didn't travel into the opposition half with the ball as much as he sometimes does. I think it says the link between the defence and midfield is improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.