Metrolink

The ones who catch the tram from Piccadilly train station surprise me. Every tram is rammed solid when it arrives, in reality for safety reasons no one should be allowed on there but they are. We know eventually there will be a crash or derailment involving a tram and if it is as overcrowded as some I have been on then the public enquiry will be asking why, when we have been warning of it for ages.

The after match buses would work properly with some common sense and tweaking. The stewards tend to count in a full bus with clickers but the time it takes to get those people onto the bus is ridiculous. This is due to people not having the correct money ready and standing near the front once they are on and refusing to move. This not only blocks people getting on but it stops people getting up the stairs as well. Allowing people with passes to just get onto the bus would speed the queue up. Also someone taking the money in the queue but that would need extra staff from the bus company. They need to get police just directing the traffic away from the ground and keep that narrow road clear as it is like a bottleneck in parts...

If ever their was a crash nobody would stand a chance. In the era of health and safety overload it's unbelievable that they are allowed to pack them in so much yet the cronies in charge regularly put single trams on at rush hour. I regularly complained about this. I stick by what I say the service is shocking and I gave up on it and glad I did.

Define crash? A single unit is 39 tonnes..it could smash into an artic lorry and barely register..that's why we don't need to wear seatbelts

The Croydon crash was caused by excessive speed and the driver falling asleep..the chances of one of our trams falling on its side are slim to none..the trams only carry a maximum load for a few stops before fans offload at Piccadilly Station/Gardens..the speed limits around the Etihad are 30mph maximum

Metrolink put far more doubles on for match day than a normal working week on the Etihad-Altrincham line and the Ashton-Eccles line..which is normally a single unit line

There are obviously singles working the line too at any given time

Listen..I'm not some company suck up..I'm actually a strong union man who raises concerns often when justified

It's exactly the same over the road when them lot play

I think the only way to stop overcrowding is to segregate the platform completely on a match day and have staff stopping people from boarding

But you always get ****s trying to push on

Match day is extraordinary circumstances and stretches the service to the limit..I was more commenting on Metrolink as a whole
Fair enough with everyday use as when I've used it it has been mostly ok but they need to use commonsense when matches are on.
Maybe for an hour before put on double units and for an hour or so after games finish..not having a dig at the drivers or metro staff but at the pillocks who decide when to utilise double units.

Define crash? A single unit is 39 tonnes..it could smash into an artic lorry and barely register..that's why we don't need to wear seatbelts

The Croydon crash was caused by excessive speed and the driver falling asleep..the chances of one of our trams falling on its side are slim to none..the trams only carry a maximum load for a few stops before fans offload at Piccadilly Station/Gardens..the speed limits around the Etihad are 30mph maximum

I understand your points and I'm not criticising you. However it's not a pleasant experience on your tram system if you use it at rush hour paying for being in essence for gettitng crushed. One of the main criticisms I had when I used it was lack of units and idiotic planning at times.
For example sending a single unit on the Manchester line where demand is higher yet on the Altrincham line they sent a double where their was hardly anyone on it.
This happened regularly and it was truly baffling.

However I found that Metrolink never took kindly to criticism and regularly over praised itself when the reality is its not really very good if you use it for getting to work.

Bollocks To us chatting shit...I use the metro to get back to Ashton after games and it's a fucking joke.
They put single units on when it's obvious they need doubles...crammed in like sardines and if there was ever an accident people would be fucked because there is no chance of escaping.
The service isn't fit for purpose...ask most fans who use it regularly mate.
agree 100%

Its easy to control how many get on a tram. You count down the number of people held in the queueing pens at the top of the steps that you know will fill the next tram and allow that number onto the platform. That's how they were designed.

I always drive to the Etihad but used the tram from Trafford Bar to Burton Road when we played them last season. Never been more crushed and I've travelled on both London and Tokyo undergrounds in rush hour. It was ridiculous.

For an hour and a half before and after a match, Metrolink should run EVERY tram to Piccadilly to the Etihad. There would have to be a small change over period at each end of the window while lines C & D ramped up to every tram and ramped back down to no trams, but it's not difficult - not even remotely.
Metrolink, however, is a toy town transport system.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.