Benjamin Mendy (Back In Training)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find it astonishing that we didn't bring in an additional left back given Mendy's fitness record. Granted this injury is unrelated but we had the same situation with Gundogan last season and seemingly haven't learned from it. Makes the pursuit of Sanchez seem fairly daft when we have clearly spent time working on a less than necessary deal when it would have been wise to cover the left back position. We did great business in the summer but it's the business that we didn't do that could end up costing us.

Amazed how our new signings pick up serious injuries within a couple of games , Gundogan , Jesus and now Mendy , everytime one of our players goes down injured i fear the worst , Mendy and Kompany being absent for the majority of the season will seriously affect our chances of winning trophies this season , having 50% of our 1st choice back four unavailable is not a great start to the season injury wise.

Was desperate to sign him after watching him against us last season + other CL games and now but I think we have to brace for the reality that there is a good chance he will never be the same.

A torn ACL is one of the worst injuries to get if you are a player that relies on pace, quickness, lateral movement, etc.:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

Because they require high-speed changes of direction, the pro sports that carry the highest risk of ACL tears – soccer, football and basketball – are also the ones in which it’s most difficult to make a complete recovery. “It comes down to how much strain you put on the knee joint,” says Dr Tim Hewett, a Mayo Clinic researcher and an expert on the mechanics of ACL injury. “Anything that elicits landing, cutting and pivoting is a greater challenge.”

I can think of two recent NBA players who got ACL injuries and had relied on their pace, quickness, lateral movement and they have never been the same. Still quick, but not other worldly as they were before.

Although, like the other sports, there is a high rate of return to sport in the NBA following ACL reconstruction, the careers of players that have torn an ACL are almost, on average, two years shorter than other players. Playing time, games played and player efficiency ratings are also significantly decreased after the injury.

In addition to monetary factors, players often have to battle outside expectations about recovery time. It’s here where the miraculous recovery from ACL surgery of athletes like Adrian Peterson perhaps unfairly raises the bar for other athletes. In fact that race to return may even increase the possibility of a repeat injury to the ACL. Hewett cites the example of Derrick Rose, who delayed his return to the court after sensing that his knee still didn’t feel normal, as a player that was roundly criticized for a longer than normal recovery.

And sadly for those that think that due to his great character that this might overcome the obstacle:

Most often what dictates recovery is not will or resolve, but the interior of the knee and function of the surrounding muscles. No one, even the best athletes in the world, can beat physiology. Ignore that, and the only reward for a quick recovery might be a short career.

Yes, there is this list:

https://williamsterett.com/blog-dr-...ccessfully-from-acl-mcl-and-shoulder-injuries

But this is far worse than any of Gundogan's injuries in terms of recovering back to his old self. And we just were starting to enjoy having him! Talk about typical City...sigh.

Delph to step up it seems. He did really well against Shaktar, but i think we'll need a replacement in January. Praying we don't get anymore long term injuries. Desperate for Kompany to come back! Need him so badly right now! I'm constantly looking at the Utd game and crapping myself as our players drop like flies. Its crucial we don't lose there! They're our biggest threat to the title and they'll push us every bit of the way!

But this is far worse than any of Gundogan's injuries in terms of recovering back to his old self.

Ehhhh wasn't Gundogs last injury ruptured ACL....the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.