New Louis Theroux series

I knew that was the case on the first two counts, but was it exactly the same addicts appearing in both?
No sorry just the guy with tats who is now clean and the fire chief as far as I can remember, I meant worth watching if anyones interested in finding out more

has an ability that enables him to insert himself into scenarios and communities where I think a lot of journalists would end up causing conflict and become part of the story. His ability to be a blank canvas and let his subjects paint their own stories allows him to film situations others would not get access to, at least in my estimations. There are other very powerful documentary makers, but some spend far less time really interacting and becoming part of the community they're studying. Makes him more personable imo.

His ability to make anyone feel at ease enough to put their life story out there on camera, or gently shoot down their bullshit, or get through a facade, while keeping people onside and on camera is just amazing.

So many times I just expect them to turn nasty or walk away when he asks a question but they just look at this harmless looking, awkwardly tall and self-effacing Englishman and just keep talking.

I imagine the girl living with the dealer will have had another broken nose (the same nose broken again for the avoidance of doubt, and for the pedants) after they discussed their violent relationship towards the end of the program. I wonder if that guy living in the tent is still alive. What's the life expectancy for someone living in that condition? It was very illuminating.

His naive bumbling simpleton act grates on me, this is a guy who's been educated at Oxford, he's far from the dopey persona he portrays,

he hardly asks any questions, he just stares at people until they feel uncomfortable enough to say any old shit.

And on last nights documentary, I think he left that dark haired girl in a dangerous situation, you could see her drug dealer boyfriend was mightily pissed off with his questions.

The episode he spent with JS was excruciating. The Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee episode wasn't much of an easy watch either.

He gets the stories that others are afraid to tackle. I mean, who would like to get stuck in a room full writhing, sweaty bodies at a swingers club in the pursuit of journalism?

The JS episode tells you all you need to know about LT.

He spent weeks with his target and either failed to notice, or decided not to report, that the guy was a paedophile and a monster.

Fearless investigative reporter, or (despite his obvious intelligence) the whining gormless fucker he pretends to be?

I think he is brilliant.

I've watched everything he's done over and over.

Last nights episode, as always, was a fascinating watch.

When that woman came out that druggy's tent and Louis and that reformed guy looked at each other and said, I didn't expect her to look like that. haha! Comical moments in even the most sad unfortunate circumstances. Great viewing.

The JS episode tells you all you need to know about LT.

He spent weeks with his target and either failed to notice, or decided not to report, that the guy was a paedophile and a monster.

Fearless investigative reporter, or (despite his obvious intelligence) the whining gormless fucker he pretends to be?
As an investigative reporter it is easy to stray in to the realms of libel. Even if Theroux had heard rumors about Saville (which he did touch on in the documentary), he couldn't say anything unless he had concrete evidence to back it up. Saville was very calculated in what he said, and I'm pretty sure he had a network of people in high places looking out for him. You can bet JS had a lawyer on hand throughout the filming, and I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC picked up the bill for it.

I find his faux naivety slightly irritating.

It is a very good tactic to have people relax around you and feel they are in control of proceedings. If he was sharp as a razor on it all they would smell something fishy and it is not the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble!

In a persons head it is the difference between seeing you as an old dear who needs everything explaining and an undercover well informed reporter out to make them look like fools.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.