Researching your heritage

sir baconface

I'd like to research my lineage and recently registered with my heritage.com. Received a "free offer" from them which basically plays you for a fat boy and is totally worthless.

Has anyone done this online and can they recommend a good site? I don't mind paying as long as it's entirely transparent.

How does it play you for a fat boy mate?

Offers you a free super-duper premium deluxe upgrade with go faster stripes. It turns out to be family tree storage only, with any archive record queries being chargeable annually at £x per month. So, in a nutshell, I get no access to info without entering into a contract. I can understand them charging but just don't take kindly to having the urine extracted.

are you after just researching your family history or is it one them DNA thingy's which indicates where you are descended from?

Hi there my girl used ancestry.co.uk. we were based in NZ so only had an online option She as able to get church records of BDM and was able to print stuff out also .. was a good site but like all things like this it does cost and will suck up heaps of your time. Sadly shes no longer here to ask for more details but i kniw it got her everything she wanted

The 2 main ones are 'Ancestry' and 'Find my Past'.
They both have advantages & disadvantages, and both have access to different records.

Ancestry is more 'intuitive' to build up your family tree etc and will give hints of records or other people's trees to look at.
It has a large record database including things like WW1 service records (80% of them got destroyed in the WW2 blitz)
The main problem with it now though is too many used it thinking all their family records would be on it, and adding people to their trees just because they were a 'best fit', based on the info they had, rather than getting confirmation from other sources. People therefore made mistakes and other people copied the info without checking and assuming it was correct, compounding the errors.

Find my Past is similiar although i believe it hasn't as large a records database as Ancestry.
It does WW2 casualty lists, but you need to take out a 12 month subscription to access them, and i think the 1939 register which Ancestry doesn't have.

AUL library has bookable 1hr sessions with a volunteer with experience in site navigation. I think you can use their subs free

Ancestry or find my past. Mum runs an genealogy business and uses those two sites as well as search bmd and archives in person.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.