Last Film You Saw

I can answer that directly. Scott definitely intended Deckard to be a replicant. He's on record saying it. But bizarrely - REALLY, staggeringly bizarrely - he had never read the book when he shot the film. He said he just couldn't get into it. How bonkers is that??!!

*** Spoiler Alert - Do not read on ****

In the new film, it's actually slightly more ambiguous, although I think the strong implication is that he is.

Your reasoning why he can't be is flawed. K's boss doesn't know the father is a replicant. And Wallace wants the daughter because he wants to make replicants who can reproduce.
Disagree with you about the new film. There is zero evidence in the new film to say he is.

Disagree with you about the new film. There is zero evidence in the new film to say he is.
Sure, that what opinions are for ;-)

But my response above was to address your reasoning that he can't be, not giving you reasons why he is.

But to answer the latter, there's a few hints. First there's Deckard saying we were being hunted. Not Rachel was being hunted. Perhaps nothing but still thought provoking. Second there's Wallace saying how Deckard and Rachel's relationship had been planned. I can't remember the exact lines but I think there were hints in there.

I don't claim it's compelling, merely that it's a question and there were intriguing hints. I may go and see it again before the cinema run ends and I'll look out for others.

Yes. Deckard finding the Oregami animal outside his door as he flees with Rachel. The final cut also has more frames leaning to Deckard possibly being a replicant himself - including the unicorn dream. I can't think he can be a replicant in 2049 if a replicant having a child breaks down the barriers between species. I guess one would have to ask Ridley Scott for the answer as Blade Runner was only based on the Philip K. Dick Novel - in which Deckard isn't an android and also owns an android goat.
https://movies.stackexchange.com/qu...ween-the-alternative-versions-of-blade-runner
Scott is on record as saying Deckard is a replicant.
https://www.wired.com/2007/09/ff-bladerunner/

Scott is on record as saying Deckard is a replicant.
https://www.wired.com/2007/09/ff-bladerunner/
Yes but playing Devils advocate, and backing up BlueAnoraks comments, Ridley Scott didn't write the book (or read it!)

And didn't direct 2049 either.

So he might have intended Deckard to be a replicant in the original, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is supposed to be in the sequel, if the new director has a different interpretstion.

It's a long time since I read the book, but I am pretty sure Dick left it as an open question.

Dark Tower.
I've only read the first 2 books so god knows how much they have actually slashed from the series.
Would've made a good tv show over 5 seasons but this film was rubbish.

2/10.

Yes but playing Devils advocate, and backing up BlueAnoraks comments, Ridley Scott didn't write the book (or read it!)

And didn't direct 2049 either.

So he might have intended Deckard to be a replicant in the original, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is supposed to be in the sequel, if the new director has a different interpretstion.

It's a long time since I read the book, but I am pretty sure Dick left it as an open question.

I believe in the book it is left open but the first film is a piece of art in it's own right and Scott is clear he is a replicant. If in the new movie he is not, that would require some explaining. ( He has to be or not...he can't change)

In the new version I think they pose a profound question which picks upon the ambiguity in this particular narrative, namely, that if the differences between human and android are now so small does it really matter anymore?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.