Your worst City player

Corradi used to piss me off big time.
After the great side we had a few years earlier, then to be left with this useless twat & Sam Harris leading the line!
Also had Dabo in midfield, god was he shite!
That 2006/07 season was a fucking nightmare. Absolute shocking football.
When you say the great side we had a few years earlier. Do you mean about 40 years earlier?

The 97/98 team was reverse Top Gun..."the worst of the worst"

Darren Wassall
Paul Beesley
Tony Scully
Jason Van Blerk
Neil Heaney

Etc etc

I think the reason we don't tend to list these players amongst our worst is;
1) most didn't stay long enough for us to truly comprehend how bad they were.
2) collectively I think that just after that season most fans suffered a kind of collective PTSD meaning memories of what happened are hazy and vague.

Last edited:
The 97/98 team was reverse Top Gun..."the worst of the worst"

Darren Wassall
Paul Beesley
Tony Scully
Jason Van Buerk
Neil Heaney

Etc etc

I think the reason we don't tend to list these players amongst our worst is;
1) most didn't stay long enough for us to truly comprehend how bad they were.
2) collectively I think that just after that season most fans suffered a kind of collective PTSD meaning memories of what happened a hazy and vague.
I had literally forgotten Darren Walsall even existed. So thanks for that. You bastard.

Worst in each position would be a good way of assessing this, so here you go - traditional 442

GK -Margaret Margetson
RB - Laurent Charvet
LB - Michael Frontzeck
CH - Alan Kernaghan
CH - ken McNaught
M - Ged Brannan
M - Neil Heaney
M - Kevin Langley
M - Peter Bodak
F - Gerry Creaney
F - Tony Cunningham

Subs - Perry Suckling, Geoff Lomax, Duncan Davidson, Jo, Ben Thatcher, Ray Kelly, Robert Hopkins
I was working in Darlington, the Summer we were rumoured to be interested in Kernaghan. Darlington played a friendly against Boro and City scouts were going to check Kernaghan out. I went to the game and after said, no way we're buying that lump. Hey ho

I completely understand why Dickov is fondly remembered, mainly due to the Wembley goal, of course. But also his work rate, if there was a thread on hardest working City players, he'd be at the top of my list, no question.

But as someone who went to most games home and away during Dickov's City career, I could see us sliding down the league because he simply wasn't very good at football. He averaged 5 goals a season during his City career. Mainly played in the lower leagues.

I thought then, and I still think now, that if we'd had a centre forward with a little more quality, we wouldn't have fallen quite as far and as fast as we did. Even if he didn't have Dickov's work rate.

Unfortunately, work rate and effort will only get you so far in some careers. For example, would you want the most skillful heart surgeon, or the hardest working one? My feelings are the same about Dickov, I respect his work rate, but I wouldn't want him operating for me ;-)

Think you're misrepresenting his stats slightly. He never really started more than 22 games a season at City. Scored 15 in promotion season 98/99. And his work rate endeavour got us some big goals at important moments (eg v Stoke Xmas 98).

Wasn't the most talented ever, but the fact he went on to do well at Leicester and Blackburn in Prem shows he was decent.

Brian Clough bought him for Forest and after the first training session put him on the transfer list. Hilarious
I think it was Fenton who bought him while Clough was on holiday. Clough returns and:
"What the fuck ? " Fenton: " He was too good to miss, just because you were away"
Clough "He hasn't a fucking clue"
End of Forest career.
(That's to the best of my recollection)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.