Your worst City player

We're talking about worst player for City though, right?

Nigel Clough was decent for Forest and had some good games for Liverpool. McManaman won two European cups with Real Madrid. George Weah won World Player of the Year for AC Milan. I've seen their names mentioned as worst City player.

I totally understand Dickov has a sentimental place in people's hearts because of that goal, and his tireless work rate.

But if we're being objective and realistic, he played in the worst team in the club's history. His lack of quality as a football player was a big reason why we ended up in the 3rd division in the first place.

Lots of sentimental fans want to give Dickov 100% of the credit for getting us out of the 3rd division, but want to give him 0% of the responsibility for us ending up there in the first place.
What a load of old bollocks.

Neil Heaney
Scott Hiley
Martin ‘buster’ Phillips
Gerry Creaney
Eddie McGoldrick
Lee Bradbury
Tony Scully

Special mention to me mam for taking me to watch this utter dross in the 90s - character building at its best

True. But he really wasn't a poor player. Yes he needs to take a share of the responsibility. As do all 50 squad members! Though a lot of issues were down to management at that time.

And by that logic Kinkladze is a worse City player than Dickov.
Gio - relegations 2, promotions 0
Dickov - relegation 2, promotions 3

He may have been in teams that got us relegated, but to say he was largely responsible for that is IMO pretty out there. He played a significant role in bringing us back up. And he left the club when we were in a division higher then when he joined.

He was a very poor player. Yep, he has to take a share of the responsibility, just like many others.

He played a significant role in bringing us back up - was bang average in the 3rd division and we finished 3rd. Then he scored a last minute equaliser in the final.

People tend to forget he missed a penalty in the shoot out. If that one had been the difference, I doubt anyone would solely blame him for us not getting promoted. But people do give him the lions share of the credit for getting us promoted. Strange one, obviously down to him running around a lot, bought him a lot of affection.

I think Dickov seems like a really nice guy, apparently was great with the youth players. He had an exceptional attitude for a pro, made the best of himself, gave everything and I think he has a real affection for the club. I like him a lot as a man, I just didn't rate him as a footballer.

Have to defend Dickov here, in his first spell with the club he was an absolute pest, the amount of fouls he would draw out of irritated opposition defenders outweighed his lack of goals - none of the team apart from The Goat were prolific - fair enough in his 2nd spell he’d lost it completely

He was a very poor player. Yep, he has to take a share of the responsibility, just like many others.

He played a significant role in bringing us back up - was bang average in the 3rd division and we finished 3rd. Then he scored a last minute equaliser in the final.

People tend to forget he missed a penalty in the shoot out. If that one had been the difference, I doubt anyone would solely blame him for us not getting promoted. But people do give him the lions share of the credit for getting us promoted. Strange one, obviously down to him running around a lot, bought him a lot of affection.

I think Dickov seems like a really nice guy, apparently was great with the youth players. He had an exceptional attitude for a pro, made the best of himself, gave everything and I think he has a real affection for the club. I like him a lot as a man, I just didn't rate him as a footballer.
m

Have to defend Dickov here, in his first spell with the club he was an absolute pest, the amount of fouls he would draw out of irritated opposition defenders outweighed his lack of goals - none of the team apart from The Goat were prolific - fair enough in his 2nd spell he’d lost it completely

m

Yeh, "pest" is a good way to describe him. We wound up the opposition and chased down every ball. He just wasn't very good when he got it.

Has anyone said Laurent Charvet yet?

Few years ago I got in a taxi in Edinburgh and got talking to the driver. Asked if I was from Manchester with my accent and said he used to live down there. After speaking bit more he said he was in Manchester playing football, I said who for expecting Droylsden or something and he said "City".

Started looking at him more closely before recognising it was Gary Mason. I told him I thought he was a good player, comfortable on the ball, didn't have the heart to tell him he was painfully slow.

Tóny Cunningham
Carl Shutt
Bobby Shinton
Štěpánovic

I remember us being on the attack and the ball hit (rag style) up to Tony on the edge of their box , his headed lay off was that bad it flew back into our own half and set up the opposition for a chance :-S

Has anyone said Laurent Charvet yet?

I feel him and Frontzeck (with his MASSIVE forehead) have had an easy ride, up until now.

Last edited:
Yeh, "pest" is a good way to describe him. We wound up the opposition and chased down every ball. He just wasn't very good when he got it.

I'm also of the opinion that Dickov was a terrible player and that if he'd been any good, he would have bagged a stack oif goals in the third tier and we;'d have been promoted automatically
Plus the fact I've never forgiven him for being a twat when playing for Blackburn, to get Distin sent off
Actually, this should be in the poor decisions thread as the ref awarded a pen and it was an off the ball incident

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.