Top 6 mini league 17/18

it's a good start but we've already had shite reffing and it usually only starts to kick about now, so they've had a head start.

Really we need Chelsea/Spurs to keep having the unnecessary slip-ups to keep us building a gap, and the rags to completely implode in this difficult run they have, whilst we just keep picking up dominant wins. It will probably not happen, but it would be nice for us to have built a commanding lead at the top by the difficult games at Christmas and suck the hope and life out of our rivals and the establishment, thus leading them to be resigned to their fate and we sweep all before us.

Tends to be only us this decade who has to scrap tooth and nail for a title, so it would be nice if we have gone up that next level and start winning them comfortably.
These are my thoughts. If we continue with this momentum and purpose then we can be in a situation where we are ahead by Christmas. Psychology the other teams might accept defeat by this stage and we can romp to the title. However we cannot be complacent. If we drop points this weekend then all of a sudden we will look vulnerable. That's how delicately balanced these things are. One game at a time I suppose.

These are my thoughts. If we continue with this momentum and purpose then we can be in a situation where we are ahead by Christmas. Psychology the other teams might accept defeat by this stage and we can romp to the title. However we cannot be complacent. If we drop points this weekend then all of a sudden we will look vulnerable. That's how delicately balanced these things are. One game at a time I suppose.

I'd love that. We could rest players for the Champions League final.

Well, I'm bemused.

All week we heard nothing but 'United are going to turn Liverpool over' from punditland. Today for the most part they have rightly been ripped to shreds, but when their tame hacks have popped their heads up it has been a lot of 'Anfield is a tough place to go, a point is a very good result.' And they are right - it's one point more than a defeat generates. Which is why over the course of a season taking the same approach to every away game amongst the top 6 virtually guarantees throwing 10 points away.

We might not win, or even draw, at Anfield, but we will get more than 5 points from our 5 games away at the other top 6 clubs. (We have three already). Mourinho isn't even planning to get more than 5. That seems to me to be the flaw in Mourinho's plan. That and the fact that they need one more point than us to win the league because they won't win it on goal difference.

Anyway, to the updated mini league. These are the results so far amongst the mini league

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags

These then are the standings:

1 City played 2 points 6
2 Chelsea played 3 points 4
2 Liverpool played 3 points 4
4 Arsenal played 2 points 1
5. Rags played 1 points 1
6. Spurs played 1 points 0

Think the next top 6 clash (sorry any lurking Watford fans, but you know what I mean) is Rags/Spurs. Spurs have a good away record - I'd expect another draw TBH.

Well, I'm bemused.

All week we heard nothing but 'United are going to turn Liverpool over' from punditland. Today for the most part they have rightly been ripped to shreds, but when their tame hacks have popped their heads up it has been a lot of 'Anfield is a tough place to go, a point is a very good result.' And they are right - it's one point more than a defeat generates. Which is why over the course of a season taking the same approach to every away game amongst the top 6 virtually guarantees throwing 10 points away.

We might not win, or even draw, at Anfield, but we will get more than 5 points from our 5 games away at the other top 6 clubs. (We have three already). Mourinho isn't even planning to get more than 5. That seems to me to be the flaw in Mourinho's plan. That and the fact that they need one more point than us to win the league because they won't win it on goal difference.

Anyway, to the updated mini league. These are the results so far amongst the mini league

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags

1 City played 2 points 6

Think the next top 6 clash (sorry any lurking Watford fans, but you know what I mean) is Rags/Spurs. Spurs have a good away record - I'd expect another draw TBH.
Rags joint bottom.

You don't have to beat your rivals if they also take points off each other and steamroller everyone else - it was United's tactics in 08-09. The top four that year were United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. The only win they had against the top four was at home to Chelsea, otherwise they lost both Liverpool games and drew and lost against Arsenal. But they hammered everyone else whilst Arenal and Liverpool draw both their matches, Chelsea and Arsenal each won the away match and Chelsea lost both Liverpool matches. Liverpool on the other hands strolled the top four (and top six) mini league but drew against too many of the middling clubs - they only lost 2 matches all season (united lost 4) but they drew 11.

Mini League
Liverpool 14pts
Arsenal 6pts
United 5pts
Chelsea 4 its

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Premier_League

You don't have to beat your rivals if they also take points off each other and steamroller everyone else - it was United's tactics in 08-09. The top four that year were United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. The only win they had against the top four was at home to Chelsea, otherwise they lost both Liverpool games and drew and lost against Arsenal. But they hammered everyone else whilst Arenal and Liverpool draw both their matches, Chelsea and Arsenal each won the away match and Chelsea lost both Liverpool matches. Liverpool on the other hands strolled the top four (and top six) mini league but drew against too many of the middling clubs - they only lost 2 matches all season (united lost 4) but they drew 11.

Mini League
Liverpool 14pts
Arsenal 6pts
United 5pts
Chelsea 4 its

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Premier_League

True, but in most years the results of the top teams as against each other goes a long way towards determining where the title ends up. Season 11/12 is perhaps the starkest example of that, bearing in mind that the League was ultimately won on goal difference

True, but in most years the results of the top teams as against each other goes a long way towards determining where the title ends up. Season 11/12 is perhaps the starkest example of that, bearing in mind that the League was ultimately won on goal difference

Also true, Yet in 2014 - Chelsea won the top 6 mini league - with 23 points to our 19 and Liverpools 16 - they lost points at mid-table teams like Palace, Stoke, Newcastle and United. Beating rivals is important - but wasted if you lose elsewhere.

Well, I'm bemused.

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags

1 City played 2 points 6

Liverpool go to Spurs next Sunday the 22nd. Spurs then go to the swamp the week after.

Sunday 5th of November however is when we host Arsenal and Chelsea host the rags. My guess on the top 6 mini league after 5th November:

1. City played 3 points 9
2. Chelsea played 4 points 7
3. Spurs played 3 points 4
4. Liverpool played 4 points 4
5. Rags played 3 points 2
6. Arsenal played 3 points 1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.