Half an hour of perfection

I can't remember an English side being that dominate against world class opponents in a Champions League game for a long, long time.

With the exception of maybe Arsenal around the time when they reached the champions league final there's never been an English side that's been so dominant in Europe. Even when an English side has won the competition they've done it through grit and determination, grinding out results, conceding control of the game and relying on moments of quality to get them through.

Liverpool were very much the underdogs when they won it, Chelsea did it the Mourinho way despite him no longer being there, even the times United did it the relied on soaking up pressure and coming up with moments of quality.

Of course we can't go overboard after 3 group stage games regardless of the quality of our opponents. We'd need to win the thing for any of it to matter one bit but if we were we'd surely go down as the best English side in the modern sky tv era.

Pep is making this team special, honestly, i can't see him walking away until he's secured that legacy here regardless of how long that takes. if it doesn't happen this year, we'll invest, make the changes we need to and go again and repeat until we do. Make no mistake, we'll win the lot with Pep. We've been building for a decade for this moment, there's nobody better than Pep to turn to, we'll make this work. When it does happen maybe Pep and the team won't get the true recognition we deserve straight away as the usual money comments get thrown around but further down the line, these next few years will get looked upon as the greatest team we've arguably ever seen in this country. And if he stays here long enough i think he could drastically change the way football is played in this league as other managers copy him and others change to try and offer an answer to his style.

The last half of Stoke and the first thirty of last night. That's as good as I've ever seen us play. It was like something out of Playstation. If there are some old City matches that good then please point them out.
I,d love to hear from any older fans who were watching Bell Lee Summerbee and Young destroy teams.....Do they recall any matches where City were virtually unplayable for a period of ths game...or even throughout the whole game?
The' Ballet on ice' springs to mind...but that maybe is to be taken into context with Tony Books revelations in later years....
What we are talking about here is passages of play whwre the opponents are basically smashed out of sight ,and cannot get a grip on the ball,never mind impose their own tactical plan? Has anybody got any memories from the so called swinging sixties....?

The year we won the league (68) was fantastic we trounced teams but during that season we struggled at times like West Brom over Christmas getting beat twice 3/2 at Hawthorne’s then 2/ nil at Maine rd Boxing Day, united beat us at Maine rd that season as well as stoke away, this side to me seems a lot more complete, whoever beats us this season will have to have the luck of the gods or the officials or both, City for me were unplayable at Trafford in 68 City trounced United that night plus their were many more like Fulham at Home etc, but for me this side is head and shoulders above any city side I’ve seen, to compare Kevin to colin is a bit harsh because this guy we have now is just something I’ve not seen before in a city shirt, my heart is always with Colin but my head says this guy will be better, my only worry is we don’t make Raheem into the new tony Coleman, who got more stick because he was classed has the slacker of the bell lee summerbee young combination the whipping boy at that time,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.