Burnley (H) Post Match Thread

Good performance again just need to cut out
the pissing around near our own box sometimes.
Hope this is the season we win it with 6 games to go or something.
To be 19 clear with six to go would require something special. We would literally need to win every week, hardly ever drawing and hope our nearest lose one in every five games as well as probably drawing the odd one. I would settle for 12 clear with six to go so that we all know it is going to happen it's just when.

Haven't even seen this game yet, as am working abroad but imo, this is one of the biggest games of the season we have just put to bed.

If ever we were going to fuck up, this was it. When I heard the weather reports, plus Burnley, the mixture of them plus pissing rain, wind; it had 'fuck up' written all over it.

I watched us live v Napoli & we were fucked after 30 mins. We ran out of steam, unsurprisingly, which is the only reason they got in the game. Burnley have taken points from the top sides & could not have asked for better circumstances for an upset. It was perfect timing for them but we won 3-0.

Brilliant, brilliant result. I don't give a fuck how we did it. Brilliant result.

Of course we may lose to a Spurs, Arse, even rags here & there during the season, but they will all take points from each other & then fuck up randomly (see Huddersfield).

Imo that Burnley result, under the circumstances, confirms that we will be champs in May.

We have what it takes as well as being at least 50% better at playing football than any of the others.

Delighted.

Good post, which I largely agree with. I sort of was feeling that way myself, just before the match. The thing is, we're playing these in-form mid-table teams who are taking loads of points off the big boys – Watford, Burnley – and blasting them out of the water (I don't remember Burnley having a shot in the second half, and yet again, although they were stubborn and made life uncomfortable, that really should have been 4-0 or even 5-0). That's the significant thing, for me. We are, very simply, a better footballing team than anyone else in the league this year, and we've got a meanness that goes along with it, and which was certainly absent last year.

It was a foul day, the kind of wet and windy day which are a typically English trap for Guardiola's fancy dans, the day when hoofball comes into its own, especially in those Pennine outposts unaccustomed to taking on aristocratic purveyors of typical English football. Burnley found themselves a record long odds bet just to add to the expectation of a "typical City" afternoon. But that's what we got: not only a "modern" penalty but a modern typical City performance. Our control of possession, our control and movement of the ball, our positional play and our playing out from the back were all very good indeed. What impressed me the most though was what was new against Napoli - our game management and ability to see the game out. At the start of the second half Burnley got sniff of getting back into the game, but a sniff was all it ever was because our lads seemed to decide quite simply the Burnley would not get back into the game because we would keep the ball, and keep it we did. When they did get it we won it back immediately. And then we passed and passed it, not just to keep it, but to pull them all over the place, make them run and make them defend. And in the end they could take it no longer and cracked. It was 3-0 but it could have been several more. Not perfect but we are getting better and look much better than last season.

In light of recent posts, a stat that impressed me from Saturday given the conditions and opposition, was that we won 68% of aerial challenges.

In light of recent posts, a stat that impressed me from Saturday given the conditions and opposition, was that we won 68% of aerial challenges.

Think it helped a lot Chris Wood went off early doors as if he had played on it wouldn't have been 68%. But I certainly take your point that we are winning more aerial duels and this is encouraging.

I thought Burnley acquitted themselves pretty well. Dyche has got them we'll organised but we just worn them down in the end.
I can see them taking some points off the others.

Haven't even seen this game yet, as am working abroad but imo, this is one of the biggest games of the season we have just put to bed.

If ever we were going to fuck up, this was it. When I heard the weather reports, plus Burnley, the mixture of them plus pissing rain, wind; it had 'fuck up' written all over it.

I watched us live v Napoli & we were fucked after 30 mins. We ran out of steam, unsurprisingly, which is the only reason they got in the game. Burnley have taken points from the top sides & could not have asked for better circumstances for an upset. It was perfect timing for them but we won 3-0.

Brilliant, brilliant result. I don't give a fuck how we did it. Brilliant result.

Of course we may lose to a Spurs, Arse, even rags here & there during the season, but they will all take points from each other & then fuck up randomly (see Huddersfield).

Imo that Burnley result, under the circumstances, confirms that we will be champs in May.

We have what it takes as well as being at least 50% better at playing football than any of the others.

Delighted.

I agree with most of this, except to say that I don’t think we ran out of as much steam against Napoli, as we all seem to think and accept. For the last 25 mins (70- 95) City were much the better side and nearly scored 4 times (Jesus was a cigarette paper offside, if he was offside). If we were out of steam, then Bernardo & Gundogs had a really big impact on getting us going again.

Think it helped a lot Chris Wood went off early doors as if he had played on it wouldn't have been 68%. But I certainly take your point that we are winning more aerial duels and this is encouraging.
The fact that Ashley Barnes never even attempts to win aerial duels, instead just tries to back in and win freekicks, probably helped as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.