Wolves post match

Not sure who Jacqui Oatley is but shes crying on twitter because Pep didnt praise Wolves performance. Thats why neutrals want Pochettino to win the league Haha

She's from Wolverhampton, is just bitter.

Great attendance last night, credit to everyone who stayed until the end. What a game from Bravo, looked like a solid keeper last night. Credit to Wolves too, hard to get through a defence of 10 players.

Also did anyone see a barn owl in the ground last night, or was that just me...?

It was going to say, it might have been Roy Hodgson, but Palace had a game.

The result goes done as officially a draw in the record books, would of if we had got beat on penalties, Don't know why though.

Competition rules state that 3 substitutions can be made AT ANY TIME DURING THE MATCH with an additional substitution available if the match goes into extra time. As extra time is part of the match, the original three substitutions can be made then as well as the extra one. Pity the so called sports journalists at the Sun don't understand the rules.

Bit disappointed it turned into such a slog and all the main lads had to come on and put in such a tough long shift. Thought the ref allowed them to get away with so many cynical fouls when we broke, against such a bus parking set as that we needed to break through them with our passing and it seemed that every time we managed it they just hacked us down, Bernardo and Sterling in particular. Was really pleased that lad they had up front missed his penalty after he just jumped on the back of Bernardo with a couple of minutes left. It was a rugby tackle, I couldnt believe the ref didnt send him off it was that ridiculous. Karma when Bravo saved his penalty.
At least we know the calibre of Tosin and Mangala sadly, they just about did enough but no more.
Bet there are some sore limbs today, and another beating up awaits at West Brom in a few days. Never mind, we won it and the group looked really happy to do so especially Pep so I guess we are taking every competition seriously this year.

What? I don't think you're remembering it quite right mate. Those were 1v1's, meaning they were through on goal. There was only some pressure on the last one and it still came too late.
No I don't think I am, I just didn't make too much of those chances or the uninspiring tactics which some seem to think we haven't seen before.

Having watched the highlights I think you have it backwards the last chance was probably the best one of the lot as he had more space... but he was running at full tilt on tired legs and Bravo's timing and positioning was immaculate. You could argue a better striker would have made more of that but the reason they had that space in behind in the first place is because they aren't top opposition nor do their tactics reflect that... hence all our players in their half pretty much. We also should have probably had a penalty for a pull to the ground on Aguero before then too.

The first one came about after a foul on Mangala, if you watch it back you will see what causes Mangala to stumble(completely missed in the commentary) is the player put his leg across his shin and then ran onto the loose ball it was nothing to do with "Mangala needing to be stronger" he was tripped momentarily but recovered. So before we even begin we can say they might not have had that chance if the ref/linesmen spotted it as they should have. Secondly Mangala regained his balance quickly and was up against his back harrying him as Bravo was also closing him down, by the time he was set to shoot Bravo was right on top of him reducing his chances of finding the net greatly. Fair play to Bravo it doesn't matter who the opposition is he was getting this wrong last season and didn't look to have the confidence to do it at all, this was a big game for his confidence.

The second one was rather fortunate because Mangala actually partially blocked the pass but it bobbled on through to the intended target anyway but again by the time he had it under control the angle had been closed down making his options more limited.

A defender shouldn't be caught on the wrong side against top opposition but again... they aren't and we knew that. I'm not saying we played well but we didn't play badly enough that we deserved to lose, in fact we were the better side, their keeper needed to play very well himself.

In hindsight though maybe the rewards for those risks I mention in that game were not there, nor would I have expected Tosin or Mangala to offer much in the way of support for our attackers up in their half the way Stones and Ota can. As Pep says though as long as they are brave and show they are trying to get the hang of playing the way the manager wants the odd mistake can be forgiven. Obviously they will have to show they have a chance of getting it at some point, Zinchenko has shown room for this I think, maybe Tosin too but he has much to learn(we should allow it in this cup). It makes you realise how underappreciated Stones and Ota are in this system, along with Dinho because the build up from the back is key for pulling players out of position, then we move the ball up the pitch with the aim of not allowing them to recover the spaces left for us with our fluid movement. We need all the parts of the machine in sync with each other or it can all fall apart and leave us exposed too, if I remember right at least none of the chances they had were from a breakdown in the passing at the back. Even though some complained they played it too safe, imagine if we went behind from a messed up pass from Mangala or Tosin? It would have been game over, I think it would have been a different game if we managed to score the first.

Last edited:
It's strange Pep has said that about the ball. Usually Mitre's are the heavier ball, it's ike and particularly Adidas that make lightweight balls. Maybe they were just pumped up wrong?

City clearly deserved to win, but they did defend intelligently to be fair. Penalties were just superb.

Yes City made 9 changes, but Wolves made 9 changes too, that was their reserve keeper, only two first team defenders, no first team midfielders, and their main striker Bolatini or whatever his name is up front, came on but didn't start either. Infact they were without their backbone - John Ruddy in goal, Willy Boly their giant centre back, Doherty and Douglas as full backs, their entire midfield of Neves, Jota and Saiss, and Cavaleiro only came on late on.

So City reserves beat Wolves reserves on penalties. Good entertainment though, in the end. It was inevitable when it went to penalties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.