Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Schalke are saying they're still in negotiations for an new contract with Goretzka.

That'd mean Bayern haven't got an agreement with him yet...

If we could steal him from under Bayern's nose, like Sané and KDB, I think he is the perfect replacement for Fernandinho.

His distribution is amazing, his defensive work is good, but he's still forward thinking- he likes to get forward and join in, and he's very quick to get the ball forwards.

I really hope Txiki et al. are working on him because I'm sure Schalke would rather he came to us, and we could probably pick him up in January for 25m because Schalke will be strictly midtable, and they aren't exactly flush with cash to see him go for free in June.

Is it possible we will try to bring in 2 DMs in the summer? Or more likely we extend Fernandihnos contract? personally I worry about Fernandihnos age...

Diawara from Napoli looked really impressive. Only 20 years old too.

He's also trying to get Italian citizenship, and has no international caps for Guinea yet, so could avoid the ACON problem that often comes with signing African players.

Is it possible we will try to bring in 2 DMs in the summer? Or more likely we extend Fernandihnos contract? personally I worry about Fernandihnos age...
We can always do what we've done with Silva and bring someone in to gradually take over. If we get someone who's young enough to rotate, we can easily keep Fernandinho performing at a high level.

Schalke are saying they're still in negotiations for an new contract with Goretzka.

That'd mean Bayern haven't got an agreement with him yet...

If we could steal him from under Bayern's nose, like Sané and KDB, I think he is the perfect replacement for Fernandinho.

His distribution is amazing, his defensive work is good, but he's still forward thinking- he likes to get forward and join in, and he's very quick to get the ball forwards.

I really hope Txiki et al. are working on him because I'm sure Schalke would rather he came to us, and we could probably pick him up in January for 25m because Schalke will be strictly midtable, and they aren't exactly flush with cash to see him go for free in June.
Would be amazing signing but id be surprised if he doesn't end up at Bayern.

Diawara's stats from Genoa-Napoli game are quite insane for a pivot - 12 km covered. Rijkaard-style. And he's not even their 1st choice.

Has anyone seen how Leander Dendoncker is doing at Anderlecht this season?

I think he ticks every box. He's technically very good, has a great range of passing, plays the long aerial balls but also has that disguised hard pass along the floor that cuts out midfield that Stones does often.

He's also a massive unit, quick, and not afraid to get forward or pop up in the box, like Fernandinho, or shoot from range.

Oh and he can even fill in at CB if needed.

I know he was linked a lot with United last year, I'm very happy the didn't get him.

Last edited:
@domalino judging by reports City are scouting Dendoncker, Weigl, Milinkovic-Savic and Pellegrini as options for pivot position. Though it's never easy to distinguish genuine leaks, agents' tricks and journos' BS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.