Julian Weigl

A DM in the Premier League has to have some pace - FACT. If he hasn't then he's fucked - especially as a single DM/Pivot.
I like the player but I have huge concerns about his pace

As I see it, you simply don't need pacy destroyers in a well-functioning compact possession team - no need to defend large gaps if the team is positioned well enough. Kante would be absolutely useless in this City team. What you need is a good 'regista' with centerhalf capabilities.

And I think players at top level cannot be both pacy destroyers and good controllers as they usually develop their strong points to overcome deficiencies. Though Rijkaard may disagree - he was both brilliant passer and athletic DM in one package. But can't remember anyone else - 'pivot' is a relatively new role, in pre-Cruyff and pre-Sacchi era teams weren't as compact as nowadays, so the position simply didn't exist in its modern interpretation.

Diawara? I started to watch Napoli regularly this season, but he's a reserve player that is rarely used. So, I'll refrain from judgement for now. Guess he befefits from Sarri's system a lot, it's difficult to say how good he would be under Pep. Many BM members rate him highly though.

Read somewhere that City were scouting Diawara at Bologna but decided to pass on him.

I understand what you are saying and I too at first thought we need someone like Busquets rather than a destroying DM. However, look at this years squad and what we currently have now. It's either Dihno or Yaya in that position. Yaya is by far better at controlling the ball than Dihno. He is more of a Busquets or Weigl than is Dihno. Yet Pep prefers Dihno. I think he has figured for the PL you need someone quicker and a little more physical in that position than in other leagues. Look and when the opposition lumps the ball up and how many times Dihno is there winning or trying to win the ball in the air. He tries to knock it down and Silva or KDB sweep it up and knock it back to Ederson. I think that's the difference. I'm beginning to think that he is starting to prefer a player who is slightly more of a DM. That's not to say he would go for a Kante, but more of a quick physical player who has decent enough skill on the ball. Who he will go for I don't know.

A DM in the Premier League has to have some pace - FACT. If he hasn't then he's fucked - especially as a single DM/Pivot.
I like the player but I have huge concerns about his pace

Don't agree with this, at all. Pep, trust in Pep. Pep doesn't require his DM to have pace (Alonso & Busquets) but the primary reason Fernandinho is used over Yaya is more due to the Ivorian's lack of legs, not pace.

Weigl would be ideal for what Pep wants and it would appear that the player is interested in the prospect of coming as well

Pep uses a DM who can pass, tackle, take a foul and protect his back two down the middle AND the flanks.

Dinho can do it all, quietly getting the job done, and making the players around him better by allowing them to concentrate on what they do best! No one thinks of Silva or KDB as hard nosed midfielders who you wouldn’t fancy meeting in the center circle for a 50-50!

Don't agree with this, at all. Pep, trust in Pep. Pep doesn't require his DM to have pace (Alonso & Busquets) but the primary reason Fernandinho is used over Yaya is more due to the Ivorian's lack of legs, not pace.

Weigl would be ideal for what Pep wants and it would appear that the player is interested in the prospect of coming as well
Disagree all you want, but the way teams defend deep and hit us at pace on the counter means pace IS required. Having at least one fullback with pace and a keeper who comes off his line quickly helps, but a single DM has to have a lot of pace in the Prem.

Last edited:
Pace or not, I believe Weigl is an incredible footballer and would be a fantastic addition to the squad. Hopefully the mutual interest is very real.

The way some are talking here you'd swear Weigl was Jan Molby. He has enough pace from what I've seen to play that role for us.

The way some are talking here you'd swear Weigl was Jan Molby. He has enough pace from what I've seen to play that role for us.

jan molby would be a great addition to our squad! what a player. What a passer! And he wasnt always fat and slow! look at his pressing and determination to win the ball back!

jan molby would be a great addition to our squad! what a player. What a passer! And he wasnt always fat and slow! look at his pressing and determination to win the ball back!

You're right, I should've said Jan Molby in his latter years. You get my point though.

Disagree all you want, but the way teams defend deep and hit us at pace on the counter means pace IS required. Having at least one fullback and a keeper who comes off his line quickly helps, but a single DM has to have a lot of pace in the Prem.

I haven't seen one case of the DM needing to be a pacy player coming into question, irrespective of the Premiership. Yes, it's always ideal to have every outfield player be fleet footed but a DM predicated on having pace for Pep? No

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.