Our attendances

Fucking hell, that's disgraceful, still I'm sure Levy & Sullivan were involved in screwing the fans.

On this occasion it's not disgraceful as it's simply not true. Read my post above yours stating the ticket prices direct from Tottenham's website. Also, here's the link to West Ham's website detailing the allocation and prices for the away fans. £20 adults and £10 concessions - same as in the Tottenham end for equivalent seats:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles...bao-cup-fourth-round-ticket-details-confirmed

Dont think Maine road was full for every game when it had a capacity of 83K, but it was for big games. Same with Barca, Madrid, they do not fill the ground for every game. Not Sure what the issue is, you can shut a tier of seating and open for big games.

Last edited:
Dont think Maine road was full for every game when it had a capacity of 83K, but it was for big games. Same with Barca, Madrid, they do not fill the ground for every game. Not Sure what the issue is, you can shut a tier of seating and open for big games.

Barca had 55k at their last champions league match if they don't give a fuck why should we.

On this occasion it's not disgraceful as it's simply not true. Read my post above yours stating the ticket prices direct from Tottenham's website. Also, here's the link to West Ham's website detailing the allocation and prices for the away fans. £20 adults and £10 concessions - same as in the Tottenham end for equivalent seats:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles...bao-cup-fourth-round-ticket-details-confirmed
Thought I'd seen it was cheaper to be honest, thanks for clarifying.

Always worth remembering that in the days before Hillsborough and the capacity restrictions that followed Maine Road held 52,500 (give or take) but rarely was it filled. Yet, no one bothered back then and in the seasons when City's average was about 31,000 every capacity game would then add about 1000 to City's average (simple maths - extra 21,000 divided by 21 League games = 1000 on top of the regular crowd). This is how MUFC managed to beat LFC for average attendances often in the 80s (and 70s). Anfield's capacity was about 40,000 and full often, while Old Trafford held almost 58,000 and some seasons crowds would range from about 30,000 to capacity, such as 1982-83 when MUFC attracted 30,227 for WHU and 57,334 for City and 57,397 for LFC. Utd's average that year was 41,552 and those games gave United an extra 800(approx) each on to their average attendance. Had United's capacity been 41,552 then their average would have been somewhat less than 40,000 due to the volume of games that attracted more than 40k. Liverpool used to argue they'd have a bigger average than Utd if Anfield had the same capacity and, to be frank, they were probably correct as they tended to have a greater average for the 'smaller' games.

So, if City's capacity was 65,000 but we were unable to sell out apart from say two games, at least an extra 1000 would be added to our current average (personally I think we would sell out PL games). Every 65,000 capacity game would add at least 500 to our current average.

For non capacity games - why not design any new 3rd tier in such a way that it gets shielded off for smaller matches. It's seeing empty seats that gets the Emptyhad jibes going, so why not have some kind of curtain/blind that simply shuts off the third tier from the time it's constructed. Then when a League Cup or FAC game suddenly attracts a crowd that needs the extra seats that can be reported as a positive story "this game is so popular City have opened their PL only third tier."

I see no logic in sticking with our current capacity simply because the Emptyhad jibes may increase for cup games. Build it and then work hard to make them come and see every increase as a step forward.

Always worth remembering that in the days before Hillsborough and the capacity restrictions that followed Maine Road held 52,500 (give or take) but rarely was it filled. Yet, no one bothered back then and in the seasons when City's average was about 31,000 every capacity game would then add about 1000 to City's average (simple maths - extra 21,000 divided by 21 League games = 1000 on top of the regular crowd). This is how MUFC managed to beat LFC for average attendances often in the 80s (and 70s). Anfield's capacity was about 40,000 and full often, while Old Trafford held almost 58,000 and some seasons crowds would range from about 30,000 to capacity, such as 1982-83 when MUFC attracted 30,227 for WHU and 57,334 for City and 57,397 for LFC. Utd's average that year was 41,552 and those games gave United an extra 800(approx) each on to their average attendance. Had United's capacity been 41,552 then their average would have been somewhat less than 40,000 due to the volume of games that attracted more than 40k. Liverpool used to argue they'd have a bigger average than Utd if Anfield had the same capacity and, to be frank, they were probably correct as they tended to have a greater average for the 'smaller' games.

So, if City's capacity was 65,000 but we were unable to sell out apart from say two games, at least an extra 1000 would be added to our current average (personally I think we would sell out PL games). Every 65,000 capacity game would add at least 500 to our current average.

For non capacity games - why not design any new 3rd tier in such a way that it gets shielded off for smaller matches. It's seeing empty seats that gets the Emptyhad jibes going, so why not have some kind of curtain/blind that simply shuts off the third tier from the time it's constructed. Then when a League Cup or FAC game suddenly attracts a crowd that needs the extra seats that can be reported as a positive story "this game is so popular City have opened their PL only third tier."

I see no logic in sticking with our current capacity simply because the Emptyhad jibes may increase for cup games. Build it and then work hard to make them come and see every increase as a step forward.

I reckon if we had a 70k stadium we would sell out against rags Liverpool Chelsea Arsenal and spurs plus top teams in champs league. Eventually Our owners should be looking at increasing our stadium to 80k.

I reckon if we had a 70k stadium we would sell out against rags Liverpool Chelsea Arsenal and spurs plus top teams in champs league. Eventually Our owners should be looking at increasing our stadium to 80k.
I agree. 70,000 for 5 League games would increase our current average for the season by approx 4,000. Add in a few 60,000 games along the way etc. and the average will be over 60,000. Pretty remarkable. We need to think along these lines a little more perhaps. Selling out a 35,000 capacity stadium was good, as is selling out a 54,000 venue but if Barca, Milan et al don't worry about empty seats and are perceived globally as huge teams with large stadiums and fanbases then why not us? Had Furniss et al in 1920-21 when they started making serious plans for a stadium move said 'no we'll keep Hyde Road because we only get 31,000 and the stadium is full most weeks but we do have some empty spaces occasionally' the club would never have moved to Maine Road and establish those record crowds AND allowed younger fans and new fans in to help grow the club over the following 2 decades.

Recently Manchester City have become the first club in the Premier League to reach to 1 million subcribers on YouTube.

Some may want to go to a live game one day!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.