With so much money spent in the Premier League,why are many games boring?

Magicpole

Team supported
Celtic
The vast majority of games I have watched this season have been turgid.

Over inflating the price of mediocre players doesn't make them better. The two games today, I will bet are another two of huffing and puffing with very little excitement.

Yesterday's game with man u and Spurs was fucking dire.

Best league in the world my arse. Richest yes, best, yer having a laugh.

Discuss. :)

I'm referring to the winner of the most boring man on earth, Taiwanese Tan Phuc. Obviously.

Too many teams trying desperately to scrape the points to stay up. Jose showing how you can pay a fortune for players but play incredibly defensively.

Managers are the problem and they shit scared of losing and losing there job plus it’s easier as an average manager to set up to defend hoof it clear if under pressure than to work with players to make them better on the ball so there team can pass it.

Bottom line really clubs rarely give managers enough time.

The vast majority of games I have watched this season have been turgid.

Over inflating the price of mediocre players doesn't make them better. The two games today, I will bet are another two of huffing and puffing with very little excitement.

Yesterday's game with man u and Spurs was fucking dire.

Best league in the world my arse. Richest yes, best, yer having a laugh.

Discuss. :)

I'm referring to the winner of the most boring man on earth, Taiwanese Tan Phuc. Obviously.
The problem is after watching us everyone else is boring.

Managers are the problem and they shit scared of losing and losing there job plus it’s easier as an average manager to set up to defend hoof it clear if under pressure than to work with players to make them better on the ball so there team can pass it.

Bottom line really clubs rarely give managers enough time.

On the flip side, when teams do show an ability to play good attacking and possession football they soon lose their key assets.

Southampton and Swansea both attempted to play that sort of football but they kept losing their best players and managers.

if you're not in the CL, you can't attract the top class players no matter how much money you have. See Everton.

Most clubs want the TV money to give to the shareholders, so don't spend anywhere near what they're capable of. Most teams are battling to avoid relegation and therefore won't spend for fear of huge losses going down.

Thus, clubs have a lot of money, those who do spend it can't buy the required quality bar a few exceptions, and the rest decide it's not worth it and don't spend it.

Because managers like Mourinho, Pulis, Dyche and Hodgson hate fun.

if you're not in the CL, you can't attract the top class players no matter how much money you have. See Everton.

Most clubs want the TV money to give to the shareholders, so don't spend anywhere near what they're capable of. Most teams are battling to avoid relegation and therefore won't spend for fear of huge losses going down.

Thus, clubs have a lot of money, those who do spend it can't buy the required quality bar a few exceptions, and the rest decide it's not worth it and don't spend it.
Utd and Spurs struggled even with simple ball circulation in deep areas, almost every Spanish team does it with ease. Even the weakest la Liga sides often play excellent football (for example, Betis).

Top 6 Serie A Teams (Napoli, Inter, Roma, Sampdoria, Lazio - all bar Juve) are playing attractive attacking football. Positional play is conquering Italy. So, it's not always about money.
Just one example - Inter under Spalletti. Have you even seen Inter play this way??

I think the problems are:
1. Specific refereeing that differs much from continental one. Refs allow harder tackles and fouls, it leads to famous British 'all-action' play that was eliminated from other leagues 10-15 yrs ago. It's very difficult to use precise passing game if you're contantly kicked. It's not even my conclusions, I'm referring to Pep's words. There's no 'excessive physicality and pace' in PL, there's just different refereeing.

It also breeds problems with integration of youngsters.
It also explains why PL teams were so poor in Europe for years - very difficult to switch from one set of rules to another.

On the other hand, such different interpretation of the rules allows the league to have its unique face, attract more spectators and become richer. Judging by financial figures, the majority doesn't share your view @Magicpole (though I personally agree with it and find British hoofball to be quite boring).

2. Lack of domestic managerial talent and low average level of managers. Seems the educational system is poor in that regard. I honestly think that guys like Dyche, Bilic, Hughes, Pulis, Hodgson would struggle to find a job in German or Italian 2nd divisions. Some reforms are probably needed. Foreign superstars like Guardiola, Conte, Klopp cannot change the situation alone.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.