Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep saying there was a reason he was statistically the top ranked defender in the Premier League last season.

Edit: he's also top of the ratings for this season to date.

Last edited:
I think he's criminally underrated by some on here. He's been playing fantastically well IMO. Him & Stones are looking like a formidable pairing.

Got a lot of criticism and fairly so.

Now has turned a new page and those top class performances that would happen once every 3 games are happening every game. Nobody questioned his quality, it was always there, the consistency was the biggest issue and it’s finally solved it seems.

Made a mistake against WBA, apologized and turned in a class performance against Napoli.

Full credit to him.

Starting to finally show the goal scoring touch that has been in hiding since he joined from Valencia.

Got a lot of criticism and fairly so.

Now has turned a new page and those top class performances that would happen once every 3 games are happening every game. Nobody questioned his quality, it was always there, the consistency was the biggest issue and it’s finally solved it seems.

Made a mistake against WBA, apologized and turned in a class performance against Napoli.

Full credit to him.

Starting to finally show the goal scoring touch that has been in hiding since he joined from Valencia.

You are right, no one questioned his quality.

Although there was this poster who wrote the following....
"A major liability, no pace, a ball over the top and Otamendi is out of the equation with the attacker in on goal"

"No pace, suspect positioning, dives in too often, he is targeted every game because opposing teams know he is the weak link"

"Really hope Mangala plays tonight and takes his chance. Otamendi's best position is bench. Would be happy to see him play in the FA and League cups and nothing else.

A major liability."

Hmmmm... Hard to say that guy didn't question his quality... I mean, I'll let you be the judge. :-)

You are right, no one questioned his quality.

Although there was this poster who wrote the following....
"A major liability, no pace, a ball over the top and Otamendi is out of the equation with the attacker in on goal"

"No pace, suspect positioning, dives in too often, he is targeted every game because opposing teams know he is the weak link"

"Really hope Mangala plays tonight and takes his chance. Otamendi's best position is bench. Would be happy to see him play in the FA and League cups and nothing else.

A major liability."

Hmmmm... Hard to say that guy didn't question his quality... I mean, I'll let you be the judge. :-)

Hahahaha the poster was upset after some terrible performances. He also said Otamendi’s performances range from non league to world class.

Hahahaha the poster was upset after some terrible performances. He also said Otamendi’s performances range from non league to world class.
Yep. In fairness he did gradually come around :)

Otamendi's 'problem' is his high risk high reward style of defending. You'll see him charge out and make these incredible tackles from time to time.

It's just he'll make an error occasionally, in some crazy style too. And we all know that one defensive error can undo everything.

When you combine that style of play with how exposed our cbs were last season (due to fbs in my opinion) and a media propogated narrative that we can't defend, he's an easy target. But I rate him immensely.

If he played for a tight, organised, defensive team (like Chelsea of last year) where he's not as exposed the media would be holding him in the same regard they held Vidic in.

This is what I posted at the start of the season, trying to make sense of why he's judged the way he is. Which at the time was either he's awesome or he's a liability. No middle ground.

Though there's been a critical shift and that has been that he's cut out the errors almost entirely (West Brom's 2nd goal was a weirdly out of character error given his style). As a result he's now being rated as highly as he deserves.

I wonder what's changed. If I had to guess, much like Fernandinho having fullbacks that provide good cover and a keeper that's not afraid to come out has tightened the defensive spaces, causing less isolation, and in turn less need to dive in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.