Shouldn't City be paying staff real living wage?

Of course we should be. All businesses should. A club of our size and means has absolutely no excuse not to.

The RLW is calculated independently and states the minimum required for a person to GET BY. Why would would anyone argue that our club should be employing people and sending them home to still live below the poverty line?

The people that come to work at our club are also part of our local community and we should be doing our bit to support it.

Not only that, but looking at it from a dispassionate business perspective, paying people the bare minimum often isnt best practice anyway.

What image? Who gives a flying fuck what they're paying staff? If you want the living wage, then you should all sign a petition, or bimble off down town and have a demo, or whatever it is you all want to do.

Hey, maybe write a note to the Mirror, they'd love something else to hammer us about.

Fucking living wage, do me a favour.
I want my club to pay the people working for it a living wage, why is that too difficult to understand?
They can do it and im sure they soon will do it, its not asking a fucking lot is it.
Fuck me, welcome to victorian britain.

Some incredibly selfish comments here and I am pretty sad other human beings have these opinions, even more so when they support the same football club I do. It is a Thatcherite philosophy, every man and woman for their self and hey ho if they can't better themselves let them go hungry and struggle, fuck them!

Not everyone can be successful and until robots take over someone has to clean the toilets, empty the rubbish, serve the food/ drink. Most if not all these occupations are low paid but still vital. If the rubbish isn't collected, toilets not cleaned properly and food and hygiene rules followed people get ill and can die. If the toilets don't work on a ship the ship is fucked, passenger ferries don't sail and lose revenue so functioning clean toilets are vital.

I think at City we do pay the living wage which for anyone thinking this is some magic cure all figure it is actually £7.85 for our region.......wow, you can live well on that eh? Most of our services are outsourced. The catering being the main one and showsec. We will pay these companies a fee to provide staff, therefore saving on paying for training, pensions, holidays, uniforms etcetera. The companies determine what they are paid which can be used as a bit of a cop out unless we supplement their wages to make up the shortfall of it if it is under the living wage figure.

In my opinion no one should have to work for less than £10 an hour. On a 40 hour week that is £1600 a month before stoppages, still not a fortune but it should be enough to allow the person earning it some disposable income after the bills and food have been paid.

It is all very well saying people knew what they were signing up for but many have little choice because that is all that is out there. We have graduates and skilled people doing menial low paid jobs because there isn't the work in their field of expertise.

Yes, I have been part of the campaign for us and the rags to pay the Manchester living wage.

We are partners with the council that are signed up to it, so why not

I heard an interview on the radio with an obviously foreign security guard at City on this very topic a few days ago. By the sounds of it he was African and his view was that they should command more of a wage because City is an elite club awash with money.

My view is the opposite. You should get paid for what you do. Watching a gate is watching a gate whether you're doing it at City or Chesterfield. Why should you get paid more because you scored a job at a nice place to work?

Yes they should sign up to this and pay at least the Real Living Wage. I'm more confused at how we still haven't got to the point as a society where the minimum wage by law isn't the same thing as the real living wage... in this day and age people still forced to work stupid hours(if they are "lucky") in the worst jobs that pay the least just to survive? That's not even living comfortably when all is said and done.

Last edited:
Yes they should sign up to this and pay at least the RLW. I'm more confused how we still haven't got to the point where the minimum wage by law isn't the same thing as the real living wage... people still forced to work stupid hours(if they are lucky) in the worst jobs that pay the least just to survive, which is not even living comfortably.

Unfortunately there is a reason why the jobs are low paid. There are knock on effects from giving people legally enforced pay rises.

Doesn't it all depend on the particular job?

If it's bar staff then in reality no as the market is flooded with cheap labour driven by excessive immigration
by labour and their kronies.

I hate when politics comes into football.

Doesn't it all depend on the particular job?

If it's bar staff then in reality no as the market is flooded with cheap labour driven by excessive immigration
by labour and their kronies.

I hate when politics comes into football.

Politics has nowt to do with it, there is an agreed Manchester living wage of £8.60 that many Manchester firms and employers are committed to, City isn't, and it should be inmho.

So if it's a bar job is, as it is a support service, tradionally it is paid at the loweat possible wage, cheap labour or not, stilll that low wage shoud still be the living wage

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.