Why Are We So Much Better Than Last Year?

CityInWashingtonState

Team supported
Manchester City is my team - until I fucking die.
At first blush, it's our signings.
New goalie - Ederson
Two new backs, and backup - Walker, Mendy, Danilo
Another quality attacking midfielder/winger - B. Silva
==========
Yet...
Mendy is injured.
Danilo doesn't play that often.
B. Silva doesn't play that often and has not adapted to the P/L yet.
===========
So why are we so much better? It can't be just down to new signings as 3/5 of them don't start regularly.

I think it's down to a combination of factors.
1) Delph has filled in at LB far better than could be expected, a major upgrade over Clichy/Kolarov (Kolo better going forward but cannot press as Pep would like and due to lack of pace is often a liability on defense);
2) Ederson is so much better than an out-of-form Bravo offering excellent shot stopping skills, better distribution and confidence/command at the back;
3) Improvement of players under Pep - Stones and Sterling are vastly improved this year;
4) System buy-in - our players now buy into Pep's system more than they did last year, pressing much better than last year (Sane and Aguero in particular are now pressing much more aggressively);
5) Our squad rotation is much better - gone are Fernando, Navas, Nolito, Clichy, Zabbaleta and Kolarov; in their place are Gundogan, B. Silva, Danilo. It seems to me that our rotation isn't as deep but it's of far higher quality and consists of players that much better fit Pep's system.

What do you think?

New full backs, new goalie, Yaya on the bench, de Bruyne and Silva working like clockwork, Aguero rejuvenated, Stones and Otters waterproof, pace to spare up front, Pep's instructions have filtered through, everybody looking as though they could score.and the refs aren't screwing us over as much as they did last season.

Pep has taken 12 months to adapt his tactics to the premier league , he's got it sussed now and the fact we have decent full back options and a keeper who stops the ball going in the net helps a lot.

To me it is simply that the players are buying into Peps ways both mentally and physically.

This and the addition of quality keeper and full backs. Ederson has been the best signing for me. Makes a huge difference.

Pep not tinkering too much with the defence has helped too

At first blush, it's our signings.
New goalie - Ederson
Two new backs, and backup - Walker, Mendy, Danilo
Another quality attacking midfielder/winger - B. Silva
==========
Yet...
Mendy is injured.
Danilo doesn't play that often.
B. Silva doesn't play that often and has not adapted to the P/L yet.
===========
So why are we so much better? It can't be just down to new signings as 3/5 of them don't start regularly.

I think it's down to a combination of factors.
1) Delph has filled in at LB far better than could be expected, a major upgrade over Clichy/Kolarov (Kolo better going forward but cannot press as Pep would like and due to lack of pace is often a liability on defense);
2) Ederson is so much better than an out-of-form Bravo offering excellent shot stopping skills, better distribution and confidence/command at the back;
3) Improvement of players under Pep - Stones and Sterling are vastly improved this year;
4) System buy-in - our players now buy into Pep's system more than they did last year, pressing much better than last year (Sane and Aguero in particular are now pressing much more aggressively);
5) Our squad rotation is much better - gone are Fernando, Navas, Nolito, Clichy, Zabbaleta and Kolarov; in their place are Gundogan, B. Silva, Danilo. It seems to me that our rotation isn't as deep but it's of far higher quality and consists of players that much better fit Pep's system.

What do you think?

1. Players have had time to adapt to Pep's methods.
2. Walker and Delph are light years ahead of Sagna and Clichy
3. Stones and Otters have had time to develop an understanding, and the confidence of both is there for all to see.
4. Ederson
5. A fit Gabby Jesus
6. A fit Ilkay Gundogan
7. Mendy notwithstanding, we've been very lucky with injuries
8. Kevin Debruyne has ditched the dilettante approach and is running games like an NFL quarterback from start to finish.
9. The refereeing travesties we saw against Everton and Bournemouth aside, generally speaking we've been far better treated by the officials than we were last year, when we were treated scandalously

The only thing that I think can derail us this season is no.7. Long term injuries to Fernandinho, Stones or Debruyne would put a serious dent in our progress, and never mind Sanchez in January I would like to see us in the market for quality cover at centre half, given that Vinnie's a crock and Mangala just ain't suited to Pep's MO.

The new fullbacks are yards quicker & more proactive than the previous ones, & better footballers, giving the oppo much less time & space to react, at both ends.
The cbs are making far fewer unforced errors & winning cruicial tackles/headers etc more often than not, rather than missing the big ones & just winning the easy ones.
On average, the whole team is moving faster.
The forwards are scoring the kind of goals they should & getting into the positions to score.
We've got Gabriel Jesus.
All of the players are taking calculated risks in possession, instantly, rather than worrying about it, thus asking much more of the oppo.
Ederson is fantastic & Bravo seems to be over his nerves.

1. Players have had time to adapt to Pep's methods.
2. Walker and Delph are light years ahead of Sagna and Clichy
3. Stones and Otters have had time to develop an understanding, and the confidence of both is there for all to see.
4. Ederson
5. A fit Gabby Jesus
6. A fit Ilkay Gundogan
7. Mendy notwithstanding, we've been very lucky with injuries
8. Kevin Debruyne has ditched the dilettante approach and is running games like an NFL quarterback from start to finish.
9. The refereeing travesties we saw against Everton and Bournemouth aside, generally speaking we've been far better treated by the officials than we were last year, when we were treated scandalously

The only thing that I think can derail us this season is no.7. Long term injuries to Fernandinho, Stones or Debruyne would put a serious dent in our progress, and never mind Sanchez in January I would like to see us in the market for quality cover at centre half, given that Vinnie's a crock and Mangala just ain't suited to Pep's MO.

Would agree with all that; although I would still like us to get Sanchez. In an ideal world, we would sign three players in January: Sanchez, a CB and an LB.

The main reason we are better is Pep. Pep will tell you it's all about the players and that is ultimately true: you have to have the right players and we have more quality in the squad now and that is hugely important. The competition for places has definitely been a factor in spurring the players on.

Pep's approach takes time for most players to get used to but if you have quality players, and it won't work without them, who get it and buy into it, you get the sorts of results we have been getting. That of course builds belief. At the moment, we have a great example of virtuous circles that are fueling belief and continual improvement.

In addition to his coaching of the collective group, there has also clearly been a lot of work on individuals and that has brought improvements across the board. The most obvious examples being young players such as Stones, Sane and Sterling. These guys should improve just as a matter of maturing and gaining experience but Pep and his staff have developed these guys beyond just teaching them positional play.

Pep now has a season's hands on experience of the Premier League and knows the other teams (and his own) much better, which allows him to better analyse how to destroy the opponents.

He also found a formation that makes best use of the players he has and that has provided a foundation that he has been building on for the better of 2017.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.