For those that saw both live who was better?

Lots of really good personal views on here. It is hard to disagree with most of them. Colin Bell was my hero over many years and always played as if it was going to be his last game with 110% effort, loads of skill, extremely fast over long distances, extremely personable and a real role model for all young persons. After his Injury his attitude to getting fit again will never be matched in my opinion even though he never was able to recover to his previous high standards. In the “Franny Lee” ownership period Colin went missing at City but later came back and attended many supporter’ clubs (for free) and showed what a true gentleman he was/is.
I have a signed City shirt signed by Colin and Tony Book (another City legend) which they signed at my supporters club meeting which I treasure. Colin is indeed a true City legend and rates in my mind one of the two best City players of all time. The other? ... David Silva, a magician with a football and a great role model to boot. Which, in my opinion is best? Well, I don’t think it is possible to link two different players in two different times devided by 40 years. But, if I must, it has to be David Silva. When are we going to name the East stand after him? And maybe one of the others after Tony Book, Bert Trautman or Sergio Aguero!

David transformed us when he came into the team. Very good players have great games from time to time. David joined us and played, and continues to play, world class in every game. Makes it look easy. Pass of the decade in the 6 - 1.

Agree with a lot you say but I've watched De Bruyne knock out half a dozen passes this season alone that were better than the magic mans pass in the 6-1 drubbing of the rags..!

Is it me or is there a rose tinted glasses view from some blues about the City side of the 60s early 70s?

Take a look at the bread and butter of the League and besides winning it in 1968 our placings are average at best compared to the current crop:

1968 1st 2011 3rd
1969 13th. 2012. 1st
1970 10th. 2013. 2nd
1971 11th. 2014. 1st
1972 4th. 2015. 2nd
1973 11th. 2016. 4th
1974 14th. 2017 3rd

No disrespect to Bell et al and I’m sure some including Bell could’ve featured for this current City side in sone capacity, but this is the best team/era we’ve ever had playing at the highest level with some world class players. Silva along with Yaya, Serg and now KDB has been and will continue to be revered for generations by those of us blues too young to remember the last golden era

True but that doesn’t alter the fact that Bell was an exceptional player and i have no doubt would be an exceptional player in any era.

That he had such a great goalscoring record at a time where the rules of the game and the interpretation of them were weighed heavily against attackers shows that. That he did it in an era when he wasn’t in a squad of 25 internationals, even more so.

Silva would have been a very good player as well but he would be subject to tackling that today would be an instant yellow or red card but back then would barely merit a free kick. Speaking of English football.

Great players would be great in any era (and I count Silva in that) but the giants of the past would look even better today and current greats would find the game more challenging.

True but that doesn’t alter the fact that Bell was an exceptional player and i have no doubt would be an exceptional player in any era.

That he had such a great goalscoring record at a time where the rules of the game and the interpretation of them were weighed heavily against attackers shows that. That he did it in an era when he wasn’t in a squad of 25 internationals, even more so.

Silva would have been a very good player as well but he would be subject to tackling that today would be an instant yellow or red card but back then would barely merit a free kick. Speaking of English football.

Great players would be great in any era (and I count Silva in that) but the giants of the past would look even better today and current greats would find the game more challenging.

I saw Best play live on a number of occasions. He would have been brilliant on any kind of pitch, in any era. So would Colin.

I saw Best play live on a number of occasions. He would have been brilliant on any kind of pitch, in any era. So would Colin.

Undoubtedly. Best really was something else. Shame about the booze.

We might have nostalgia goggles on but there were some great players around then and they had to be great in the face of the likes of Bremner, Smith, Harris, Hunter and the rest.

Don’t think many of those would have a career now. Not in the Premiership anyway.

Bremner maybe. He was a tough little bastard but him and Giles could play a bit when they weren’t whacking people or intimidating referees.

Bell was more of KDB player but much much better

I agree with this. When I first saw KDB in a City shirt he reminded me of King Colin. It's his power and athleticism, coupled with incredible technical ability. Both very much a reflection of Bell's game. King Colin was ahead of his time and I'm sure he would have been Pep's type of player. Oh, I don't agree that Bell was much, much better, though.

I agree with this. When I first saw KDB in a City shirt he reminded me of King Colin. It's his power and athleticism, coupled with incredible technical ability. Both very much a reflection of Bell's game. King Colin was ahead of his time and I'm sure he would have been Pep's type of player. Oh, I don't agree that Bell was much, much better, though.

Typo I meant much better ,I agree with all of your post

How great is it that we can chat about Bell, Silva & De Bruyne in the same breath, all such fantastic players all will be ingrained in our history for ever...! Bell,Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero stands at the Etihad??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.