Confirmed: Most Ever Consecutive Wins in English Football History - MCFC

There is though. The IFAB say that when a game needs a winner (which that one-off LC game did) then the winner can be determined by extra time and/or a penalty shoot out. The LC accept it as a win; the FA say that they also accept it as a win etc. The issue comes with statistic websites/spreadsheets that don't have capacity to record it as a win. Companies/statisticians that base their records on spreadsheets struggle with this, but those that have maintained records since footy began (such as the Nationwide Football Annual which under various names has been in existence for over 130 years) have confirmed they recognise it.

great stuff ta, good enough for me!

Regarding the Wolves result, the way I see it is this:
In the league there are 3 possible results; win, draw, lose
In the cup there are only 2 possible results; win, lose.
And there are 3 possible ways of winning a cup tie; win after 90 minutes, win after 120 minutes, win on penalties

So what result would you award if we drew in the 3rd round of the FA Cup?

If you've drawn a one legged cup tie after 90 mins, its a draw. Extra time, penalties, replays, tossing a coin, drawing straws, etc, are all ways to determine which team advances, but the game is won, lost, or drawn in 90 minutes (plus injury time for the sticklers).

If people want to believe it counts I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but this is the reason why it is not being reported as 15 consecutive wins.

If you've drawn a one legged cup tie after 90 mins, its a draw. Extra time, penalties, replays, tossing a coin, drawing straws, etc, are all ways to determine which team advances, but the game is won, lost, or drawn in 90 minutes (plus injury time for the sticklers).

If people want to believe it counts I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but this is the reason why it is not being reported as 15 consecutive wins.

As Gary James says it *is* officially being counted.

That specific game v Wolves could only be won or lost. No other result was possible. That was the criteria of the tie. It's as simple as that.

If someone asked you the result of the game you would say 'we won on penalties'.

Most other games (league, 2 legged cup ties, early round of FA Cup) have the third options of a draw.

So someone asks and reply is 'we drew and there's a replay next Tuesday'.

I would regard it as drawn because in the FA Cup a draw is one of the permitted results of a match. Different to the LC.

As Gary James says it *is* officially being counted.

That specific game v Wolves could only be won or lost. No other result was possible. That was the criteria of the tie. It's as simple as that.

If someone asked you the result of the game you would say 'we won on penalties'.

Most other games (league, 2 legged cup ties, early round of FA Cup) have the third options of a draw.

So someone asks and reply is 'we drew and there's a replay next Tuesday'.

We're going to get bogged down in pedantics if we're not careful. As I said I'm not going to lose sleep if you want to count it as part of our consecutive win tally, but I explained why it isn't being reported as such.

We won a cup tie, but we did not win the game.

In the cup tie one team must advance to the next round but we didn't win the game. We won a penalty shoot out. As I mentioned in my previous post penalties are a way to determine who advances but does not change the result of a 90 minute game of football.

Feel free to refer to past competitions where ties were drawn and determined by drawing lots or coin toss. Winning on penalties - or in extra time, is no different from winning on a coin toss. The game was drawn but one team advanced.

Let's move the debate on to something we can hopefully agree on. The PL record for consecutive wins in a season is 13 and we're currently on 9. Should we win our next 4 games (Leicester (A), Huddersfield (A), Southampton (H) and West Ham (H)) to equal the record, we would get the chance to set a new one on Dec 9th at the swamp. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Had we not been cheated by the ref against Everton, we'd have set the new record for 15 consecutive wins overall (i.e. across more than one season) last Sunday, which ironically was our game against the current record holders Arsenal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.