Car Write offs?

That looks as though its a write off.....they will pay you the market value of the car (ie enough to get yourself a 2011 VW Golf in the same condition and spec as yours was immediately prior to the loss).

One option is to see if you can get it repaired cheaper yourself .. allow the company to make you an offer then ask if you can buy the salvage (they can sell it to you as long as the damage isn't so severe that it would be dangerous to put the car back on the road)

Isn't it then a category d car? costs more to insure and value reduced and harder to sell later

Isn't it then a category d car? costs more to insure and value reduced and harder to sell later

Yes, but it depends on the intended use. If the plan is to drive it into the ground as basic transport until it dies then it is worth looking at doing. A Cat D shouldn't cost more to insure, though Cat C ones tend to.

The insurer doesn't have to sell it back to you of course. Also, never take the first offer they give you and always remember if you take it to the ombudsman that costs them money even if they win, so they usually up their offer to avoid that.

No where on an insurance proposal form does it ask you whether the car has been written off before (and you have to think it through) the only reason its been written off is because the insurer chose to use one of their approved repairers not some one who runs a small repair shop.

As I said if its not dangerous to put it back on the road it should be ok.... just make a bid for the salvage cos a motor trader will do exactly the same

9b6.gif

the plural of off is offs, so no apostrophe needed (unless you are a greengrocer).
and write-off is hyphenated, so the thread title should be "car write-offs".

Haha thank you, but don't you mean it should be "Car Write-offs".

Or "Car write-offs" dependent on your view on capitalisation of titles, I'm not certain there's an absolutely correct way, except that the first letter should always be a capital. Come and join me on the naughty step.

Last edited:
spoke to a mate who does the work for a big insurance co' and he said write off
Thanks for that, the truth is the insurance will ultimately decide but I respect the views of the Bluemoon community and am now expecting a write. Once again thanks to all!

Thanks for that, the truth is the insurance will ultimately decide but I respect the views of the Bluemoon community and am now expecting a write. Once again thanks to all!

HE said the axle on its own may not have been a write off but with back end bodywork/ re spray etc then probably is.

Haha thank you, but don't you mean it should be "Car Write-offs".

Or "Car write-offs" dependent on your view on capitalisation of titles, I'm not certain there's an absolutely correct way, except that the first letter should always be a capital. Come and join me on the naughty step.
capital letters were invented by the church, joe, as a way to oppress the common man.
like all things religious i tend to avoid them, even if it means standing on the naughty step every day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.