The 2011/12 Season

I hit a low point around the time of that Emirates defeat. Not just in terms of City, but also more generally. A rare bad patch in my life.

Not too disimilar to me that story in the sense it was not the greatest of times personally.Went back to uni mid 30s to get a proper career and 2012 was my final year.

Being skint all the time, the worry about gaining a decent degree, the uncertainty of it being worthwhile and a decent job being forthcoming, weighed heavily on my mind.

Football was my only outlet that year and I loved almost every moment of that season, but even more looking back as the twists and turns are even more enjoyable. Honourable exceptions the Sunderland home game and prior to West Brom when I really could not be bothered going.

The end of season and my own personal circumstances improved which made the end of season even sweeter. In both instances it supported the theory that things are even more worthwhile if there is a bit of suffering/hardship along the way. 2012 certainly had that ingredient.

Something that seems obvious to me on watching that little video. For all sorts of reasons, many of them bad as well as good, Balotelli was a genuine star that season. He just did off-the-wall things that no-one else was doing. As such, he seemed to be perhaps more in tune with the pulse of that crazy, almost-banana-skin season, than anyone. Fitting that he should have had a vital hand (foot) in the dying moments.

The whole of the next day after 13 May, I had a lump in my throat. Crazy really, but I really felt that something in my life had been healed.

Last edited:
It's unlikely anything will ever top it.

The fact it was them & their bullshit machine, 'grinding out results like Champions do' (dodgy decisions gifting them points they didn't deserve) vs us, playing great football but occasionally hitting a wall (& getting shit on by referees) & then to win it on the very second they were celebrating winning it.

Their referees unwittingly created the best finish of all time.

This league season looks very similar to 2011/12 - so far.

There is a difference in perception though. Of what 'they' are & what we are.

Also I think 'they' will get 'some' help from the establishment, but not compared to the levels of Ferguson's team. I'm not convinced they are our biggest problem.

The amount of help they got that season was boderline police investigation level.

True. What a rollercoaster it was. Can you fuckin imagine what it would of been like coming out of the ground had Sergio not bagged that goal. Even the players walking round the pitch doing their last game waves. Doesn't bare thinking abt. What a day.
If that season was a Hollywood script, I'd have fucked it off for being too Roy of the Rovers or Harry Bassett England Manager!! Even to this day I'll never get tired of that season.

Spurs away, Dzeko scoring 4, 1-6 at Old Toiilet, Mad Mario - Why always me, Tevez & his golfing holiday, losing the Toure brother's for a month to the ACN & Kompany out injured for 2 months which both derailed our season.

Kompany falling out with Bob after deciding to make his come back from injury in Belgium's meaningless friendlly instead of saving himself for our title run in, Manure being 8 points ahead with 5 games to play & then losing away to Wigan & drawing 4-4 at home to Everton.

Kompany scoring the only goal at the Derby return, ManUre under Fergie playing like ManUre under Moureen & not having ONE attempt on goal! City draw level on points but with a vastly superior goal difference............

And then that final day in May!!!

Just Wow!! :-)

Last edited:
I remember around February getting really annoyed about all the penalties and obviously bent decision the rags were getting. By March I was resigned to it, and in about April I remember actually laughing out loud one evening game when Ashley Young (I think it was) dived and got a penalty. Id given up on it, it had become farcical such was the level of obvious corruption with officials. And I am not one for conspiracies and agendas at all. The best achievement for us was overcoming that handicap and winning it anyway

I remember around February getting really annoyed about all the penalties and obviously bent decision the rags were getting. By March I was resigned to it, and in about April I remember actually laughing out loud one evening game when Ashley Young (I think it was) dived and got a penalty. Id given up on it, it had become farcical such was the level of obvious corruption with officials. And I am not one for conspiracies and agendas at all. The best achievement for us was overcoming that handicap and winning it anyway

This one?

Derry was sent off for this as well.

If that season was a Hollywood script, I'd have fucked it off for being too Roy of the Rovers or Harry Bassett England Manager!! Even to this day I'll never get tired of that season.

Spurs away, Dzeko scoring 4, 1-6 at Old Toiilet, Mad Mario - Why always me, Tevez & his golfing holiday, losing the Toure brother's for a month to the ACN & Kompany out injured for 2 months which both derailed our season.

Kompany falling out with Bob after deciding to make his come back from injury in Belgium's meaningless friendlly instead of saving himself for our title run in, Manure being 8 points ahead with 5 games to play & then losing away to Wagan & drawing 4-4 at home to Everton.

Kompany scoring the only goal at the Derby return, ManUre under Fergie playing like ManUre under Moureen & not having ONE attempt on goal! City draw level on points but with a vastly superior goal difference............

And then that final day in May!!!

Just Wow!! :-)

Great summary but I think Its important to add what swung the Goal Difference in our favour.

It was not banging a few past bottom of the table, like a flat track bully, but destroying them on their own patch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.