ID list of every single Manchester band in order of greatness.

Nightmare Walking

Reading through this list today and wondered what people think. i am not going to argue with the no 1 as along with Depeche Mode they are my favorite band.

Yet what gets me is the fact that when ever these lists are compiled, Puressence are missing from them. They were a far better band than most of the ones on this list. Along with the Chameleons, they seem to be totally forgotten about for some strange reason.

Anyway here is the list

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/43nb7g/every-single-manchester-band-ranked-in-order

It's a crock of shite. They state that 10cc were a Stockport band!
Verve are Wigan, Charlatans were Staffs and Northwich....

Of course pedants could say the Mondays and Hollies were Salford etc which is correct but they are ''Manc'' bands as opposed to Wigan and Northwich!
Without a doubt Puressence (Failsworth) and Chameleons (Middleton) should be in there.... as well as Wedding Present.... kind of ;)

It's a crock of shite. They state that 10cc were a Stockport band!
Verve are Wigan, Charlatans were Staffs and Northwich....

Of course pedants could say the Mondays and Hollies were Salford etc which is correct but they are ''Manc'' bands as opposed to Wigan and Northwich!
Without a doubt Puressence (Failsworth) and Chameleons (Middleton) should be in there.... as well as Wedding Present.... kind of ;)

I am not going to be pedantic when it comes to the areas where the band members were born as I think these lists are more about bands based and associated with Manchester. The Charlatans are a Manchester band even though the members may have been born else where. No one would suggest New Order and Joy Division were not Manchester bands even though none of the members were actually from here.

My bone of contention is the fact Puressence and the Chameleons just get totally neglected from these lists. Now I am more from the Puressence generation than the Chameleons one but from what I lead to believe is that they were neglected by the mainstream even in their pomp, which I just don't understand as both bands were far better than a lot of the tosh in this list.

Interesting point you make about bands actually being from Manchester though MES. How many of the bands on this list do actually come from Manchester? Oasis, the Smiths? Is that it? (Not considering 808 Stage, Gerald)

Weren't the Bee Gees from Manchester?
Yes and no! lol
Their Manc parents moved to the safety of the Isle of Man from Manchester during WW2 and the boys were born there. They then moved back to Chorlton in the early 50's before emigrating to Australia a few year later on the old ''tenner a ticket'' boat trip (it has been suggested at the request of the local dibble as the boys were a bit of a handful!)

I am not going to be pedantic when it comes to the areas where the band members were born as I think these lists are more about bands based and associated with Manchester. The Charlatans are a Manchester band even though the members may have been born else where. No one would suggest New Order and Joy Division were not Manchester bands even though none of the members were actually from here.

My bone of contention is the fact Puressence and the Chameleons just get totally neglected from these lists. Now I am more from the Puressence generation than the Chameleons one but from what I lead to believe is that they were neglected by the mainstream even in their pomp, which I just don't understand as both bands were far better than a lot of the tosh in this list.

Interesting point you make about bands actually being from Manchester though MES. How many of the bands on this list do actually come from Manchester? Oasis, the Smiths? Is that it? (Not considering 808 Stage, Gerald)
I would say the Charlatans were a Madchester band rather than a Manchester band - lol

I would say the Charlatans were a Madchester band rather than a Manchester band - lol
I thought Burgess was actually born in Manchester but his family moved to Northwich. Mark Collins is definitely from Manchester (I know he was not the original guitarist but hes been the driving force along with Burgess since the early 90's).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.