It's time to buy a new computer.

Thinking of splashing out and buying a Dell XPS laptop, the specs look great for an ultra book but just wondering if anyone has any experience of them. It has NVidia 1050 graphics and when I look at the other laptops of similar spec they seem to have a lot more cooling vents. Just concerned if they have any overheating issues.
I dont think you can go far wrong with a Dell mate.It's not just a hardware buying portal but a relationship in computer ettiquette for years to come. I have owned over a dozen comps in my tennure both built and bought and these characters remain good in what they do. Customer support remaining first class.

However I've been closely following this comapny for a while and have to say at first glance they look a professional outfit. The end base warranty is very much OK @5 years and the reviews off trustpilot speak for themselves. I have had no dealings with them and would be interested if any forum members have purchased off them for any constructive feedback. Prices seem very keen and wondering if a raw build is worth it after pricing up componants seperatly ?

Have a peep at their website and these links and see what you think ?
For the record I have no affiliation with this outfit.

https://www.chillblast.com/

https://www.chillblast.com/about-us.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...rom-a-global-giant-or-a-small-british-company

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.chillblast.com

Last edited:
I paired a ryzen 5 1600x and a 1080, really like the new cpus from AMD.

for those buying laptops for general use spend very little money at all, it doesn't really make much of a difference. my girlfriend's laptop which is 5 years old slowed down to a stop this summer so I ripped out the crappy hard drive and stuck in an SSD instead, lightning fast now

my housemate got a 1050ti and I have to say it's very impressive, most new games are mostly stuck at 60fps in relatively high settings. probably the best card for the money atm.

I paired a ryzen 5 1600x and a 1080, really like the new cpus from AMD.

for those buying laptops for general use spend very little money at all, it doesn't really make much of a difference. my girlfriend's laptop which is 5 years old slowed down to a stop this summer so I ripped out the crappy hard drive and stuck in an SSD instead, lightning fast now

my housemate got a 1050ti and I have to say it's very impressive, most new games are mostly stuck at 60fps in relatively high settings. probably the best card for the money atm.

You have a flying machine there with that combo mate. I guess it's all a balancing act and getting the best bang for bucks. Off the head I guess were talking in excess of £500 for a 1080 ti and yet the 1050 ti 4 gig will happily play most at 60fps for the £140 mark. The Ryzon looks really good mate and I will check out the benchmarks against an intel i7 when I get back from Bury and appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
Just got a Mac book Pro from work, ( and I can take it home) loving the stability, not had a crash, which would happen daily with a PC, Airdrop for transferring files from my phone is great.
Yes they're pricy, but I wasn't paying!

Fast forward and our computers getting long in the tooth at the eight years. with a few of it's USB ports acting up. The ports are important as being a FOC it has no internal WIFI or Bluetooth. Four x2 USB on the back with a brace of 1's on the front but hasten to add it's still performing admirably for general surfing and gaming.

I love the feel of windows 7 Home, but for main computing it's now time to move on so have moved it into the spare room for our grandkids to enjoy, loading it up with games from the CD-Keys as I await the arrival of our fresh comp this afternoon.

Going in the front room it has to be tidy so rightly or wrongly plumped for an AIO from the Dell stable. I have just this second seen the customer service reviews for Dell UK on Trustpilot and I have to say it's not a pretty sight. I've not yet entered into the heady realms of sphincter twitching but if it so much as gurn's the wrong way at me during month one it will be going back under the sales of goods. (still a bit vexed and perturbed to be fair as I always had the Dell organization down as a reasonable outfit so unsure where they have lost their way) However as the old adage goes take as you find and they've never done me a bad turn in the past.

Back to the AIO and although it's somewhat limited with upgrade potential I was more concerned with the aesthetics due to the positioning. Also I believe the deal was really good having only cost £565 achieved by the application of cloud vouchers @8% and also receiving a further 10% for dispatch issues.

It's a 27inch 7700 I5 with XE Iris integrated graphics reasonable enough for basic gaming and editing work and certainly a step up from the intel UHD 630, 8Gig DD4 ram, 250 SSD boot with a 1T Sata, wireless 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 running windows 11 so not at all disastrous at the price ratio entry level .. but we shall see.

The wife said if i get maudlin with separation anxiety I can still go and visit the AMD any time I want as it's only a few rooms away, but it's potential as a gaming rig will be here for many years to come and should make the kids squeal with delight. The 1050T is a sweet little card and can still play most of our current library at good frame rates. Edited for syntax and grammar.

Last edited:
Fast forward with our computer getting long in the tooth at the eight years with a few of it's USB ports now acting up. The ports are important as it has no internal WIFI or Bluetooth being a FOC. Four x2 USB on the back with a brace of 1x on the front but would hasten to add it's still performing it's duties admirably and good for overall surfing and gaming.

I love the feel of windows 7 Home, but for main computing it's now time to move on so have moved it into the spare room for our grandkids to enjoy, loading it up with games from the CD-Keys as I await the arrival of our fresh comp this afternoon.

It's going in the front room it has to be tidy so rightly or wrongly plumbed for an AIO from the Dell stable. I have just this second seen the customer service reviews for Dell UK on Trustpilot and I have to say it's not a pretty sight. I've not yet entered into the heady realms of sphincter twitching but if it so much as gurn's the wrong way at me during month one it will be going back under the sales of goods. (still a bit vexed and perturbed to be fair as I always had the Dell organization down as a reasonable outfit so unsure where they have lost their way) However as the old adage goes take as you find and they've never done me a bad turn in the past.

Back to the AIO and although it's somewhat limited with upgrade potential I was more concerned with the aesthetics due to the positioning. Also I believe the deal was really good having only cost £565 achieved by the application of cloud vouchers @8% and also receiving a further 10% for dispatch issues.

It's a 27inch 7700 I5 with XE Iris integrated graphics reasonable enough for basic gaming and editing work and certainly a step up from the intel UHD 630, 8Gig DD4 ram, 250 SSD boot with a 1T Sata, wireless 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 running windows 11 so not at all disastrous at the price ratio entry level .. but we shall see.

The wife said if i get maudlin with separation anxiety I can still go and visit the AMD any time I want as it's only a few rooms away, but it's potential as a gaming rig remains for many more years to come and should make the kids squeal with delight. The 1050T is a sweet little card and can still play most of our current library at good frame rates. Edited for syntax and grammar.
I'm not generally one for AIO's but that is sweet, the price seems particularly keen.

I've got a passive 1050Ti (with a 120mm on a bracket next to it) in mine and given the dearth of better cards, along with the ridiculous prices from the scammers, it'll remain there for a good while to come.

It's going in the front room it has to be tidy so rightly or wrongly plumbed for an AIO from the Dell stable. I have just this second seen the customer service reviews for Dell UK on Trustpilot and I have to say it's not a pretty sight. I've not yet entered into the heady realms of sphincter twitching but if it so much as gurn's the wrong way at me during month one it will be going back under the sales of goods. (still a bit vexed and perturbed to be fair as I always had the Dell organization down as a reasonable outfit so unsure where they have lost their way) However as the old adage goes take as you find and they've never done me a bad turn in the past.
As I understand it, they’ve basically turned into a finance company that sells a few computers on the side, kinda like a lot of electronics retailers nowadays. Linus Tech Tips did a big exposé of them, and then a couple of years later after promises to improve he managed to do the exact same exposé again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.