Pogba or De Bruyne? (Historical)

Pogba is clearly a good player but his ego will continue to hold him back.

He doesn't work consistently hard for the team and appears far more concerned at how great he looks than anything else.

Kev on the other hand is the absolute mutts nuts all around midfield genius !

My mistake on your reply I thought you meant Juventus now which is irrelevant to any of this. I claimed we had no world class players if playing in a champions league final makes you one. World class is branded about willy nilly
Djimi Traore won a CL final.

The " world class " tag gets attributed to a number of players in the PL and Spanish, German and italian leagues who obviously perform at high levels and have a good level of ability , but whether that tag is justified in the true sense of the word has to be highly questionable if they are only being judged on their performances at a domestic level.
What's the true sense of the word?

Pogba looked good at Juvi since he had two great Cms (Vidal and Marchisio) beside him doing all the work while he got to waltz all over the pitch trying the spectacular, suddenly at the Rags he has to actually do some work and is no where near as good. Matic and parking the bus has helped free him up but still nowhere near his Juvi days.

Look how much work Silva and Kev put in for us while still being productive going forward and you see the difference in quality. Pogba is a rich mans Ozil.

What's the true sense of the word?

Bit difficult to define, but I would guess somebody who performs consistently well in international, european competitions, world cups perhaps . I don't think that club level in their own league is a true measure .

the tag is used cheaply imo.

Bit difficult to define, but I would guess somebody who performs consistently well in international, european competitions, world cups perhaps . I don't think that club level in their own league is a true measure .
You can't base it on World Cups, surely. That would rule out Bale, Toure, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, etc, purely on the grounds that they happen to play for a relatively shit national team.

Personally I've always thought as it being a player that could go into the best 2 or 3 clubs in the world without making them worse.

The " world class " tag gets attributed to a number of players in the PL and Spanish, German and italian leagues who obviously perform at high levels and have a good level of ability , but whether that tag is justified in the true sense of the word has to be highly questionable if they are only being judged on their performances at a domestic level.

I have never seen Pogba perform at WC level for France , nor indeed the likes of Griezeman who is another who is touted as WC.

The phrase is wrongly used to describe many players imo, and Pogba is one who carries the hype , moreso because he plays for the Rags. The media over-hype so many of their players to feed the frenzy of their fans, because they know it will be lapped up and spread as " the truth ".

But he has to do a lot more to be truly judged as world class, and not just in the PL.
Perhaps you are right, depends of the perspective. But we need something to make a difference between very good players and the rest. For ex Martial vs Sane: Martial is very good while Sane is WC material. Can we use WC tag on Sane? Perhaps not yet but I like to use it. World class for me is if you are in the top ten, in your position, in the world. We can put Ederson, Walker, Kompany, Otamendi, even Stones now, Fernandinho, Silva, de Bruyne, Sterling, Sane, Aguero. Would I be wrong? Are they very good players waiting for a PL/CL double to become WC? It depends of individual opinion. I rate them as WC or soon to be WC, so I call them all WC.

You can't base it on World Cups, surely. That would rule out Bale, Toure, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, etc, purely on the grounds that they happen to play for a relatively shit national team.

Personally I've always thought as it being a player that could go into the best 2 or 3 clubs in the world without making them worse.

Ok but it is a subjective thing anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.