New approach for City Academy

I think we'll see them in the EDS until they're 19 at most and then loaned out. Matt Smith is 17 now, will turn 18 this season. I think he'll stay with the EDS this year, and possibly next, and then go on loan. I think we'll see loans for lads as young as 18 too.

It's worth bearing in mind that they're not ALL moving up early. Mainly the stars of the generation.
was under the presumption is was more the majority of the teams got moved up, so cheers for that.

It's a really poorly written article tbh that doesn't make the point of the new approach clear at all.

Basically, in terms of pure age, we have the best of the best. We're too good when our 17 year olds play other team's 17 year olds and we end up with a win percentage of 90 odd percent. Bear in mind, Sancho, Foden and crew, if the former was still here, could still be turning out for u18s as second year scholars. Last year Sancho and Foden, along with Matt Smith, Latibeaudiere, Dele-Bashiru and more absolutely walked the u18s league, despite only being first year scholars.

Likewise, at the start of this season our first year scholars included Taylor Richards and Rabbi Matondo, and it became immediately clear that they found it too easy for u18s football too. So they were moved up to the EDS immediately.

The plan now is to basically push them up as soon as they can. The two stars of this year's first year scholars (matondo, Richards) have basically bypassed the 18s entirely to learn with the EDS despite being 16 turning 17. This year's u18s team is mainly new first years mixed in with u16s as well - take Tommy Doyle as an example. He's 15 and playing fir the 18s this year cos there is nothing he could learn at 16s level as he's miles better. We're playing very, very young teams compared to our rivals. This will of course result in some games not being won, but as Wilcox says, its more realistic and we're having to battle to win games a lot more, and that is evident watching this u18s team. You could throw Matondo and Richards in if you want, evne Foden/Latibeaudiere and Dele-Bashiru in technically, and they'd win every game 4/5-0. But what's the point?

If this method existed last year Foden and Sancho would have basically skipped u18s football entirely and gone straight to the EDS, but that didn't really happen.

I like this approach. It's testing them. It's why all last year's first year's are now with the EDS instead.

So long story short: we're moving up players very very quickly, which challenges them more and will see a lower, more realistic, win percentage.
Thanks. Appreciate the explanation. It does seem to fall short of being radical though. Surely moving a youngster up a level to match their ability and performance level is common sense. What do you make of Jason Wilcox if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks. Appreciate the explanation. It does seem to fall short of being radical though. Surely moving a youngster up a level to match their ability and performance level is common sense. What do you make of Jason Wilcox if you don’t mind me asking?

its not as common as you'd think to be honest. It's also an obvious follow up to the loan method we're embracing, as otherwise we'd have 18/19 year olds in the way of the 17 year olds moved up to the EDS. They all go out on loan, so the 17 year olds can fill up the EDS.

Take Angel Gomes for example at United - their crown jewel who got a token debut in the last game of United's season aged 16. Lots of reds think he's the second coming. He's still not moved up to the 23s. He's excellent, defo, but United still have him as an u18 cos he's 17. At City we'd move him up. Not saying United are wrong, but more pointing out that what we are doing, though common sense, is a lot more aggressive than most clubs do.

If thats the case my lads team is going to be so mentally strong
played 6 games and conceded over 50 and scored 2 its like watching City in the 90s

Haha, join the club mate. 12 games played, 4 points (how the heck they won and drew one is miracle), losing 9:0, 10:0 regularly and my lad is the keeper and by mile the best in the team, without him easily 15:0 in most games. Mind you, beside saving some goals he's shit in everything, just like the rest of them - they can't run, they can't pass, they can't shoot, they can't bring the ball to half of their half - nothing :D

But I won't move him to any other team for next two-three years at least. It's a perfect situation for keeper, being tested literally every 30 seconds, if he doesn't learn the business there, than he's not up for it :D

Last edited:
Haha, join the club mate. 12 games played, 4 points (how the heck they won and drew one is miracle), losing 9:0, 10:0 regularly and my lad is the keeper and by mile the best in the team, without him easily 15:0 in most games. Mind you, beside saving some goals he's shit in everything, just like the rest of them - they can't run, they can't pass, they can't shoot, they can't bring the ball to half of their half - nothing :D

But I won't move him to any other team for next two-three years at least. It's a perfect situation for keeper, being tested literally every 30 seconds, if he doesn't learn the business there, than he's not up for it :D
my lad has some talent tries to play like Silva bringing the ball down when other hoof but thinks he can just turn up and be a superstar. He plays on the left and the goalie kicks it down the right/middle all the time (ala Joe Hart), so at times the game passes him by, He hasnt scored in 2 seasons but then again think the striker has scored 2 in that time. It doesnt help that the team down the road is one of the best in Southampton league at this age group,so they can pick and choose the better players. Give the lads their dues they turn up nearly every week and turn up to training each week as well.

Not to forget all the young players we are loaning out to Girona and Breda etc and the gaps they are leaving.

my lad has some talent tries to play like Silva bringing the ball down when other hoof but thinks he can just turn up and be a superstar. He plays on the left and the goalie kicks it down the right/middle all the time (ala Joe Hart), so at times the game passes him by, He hasnt scored in 2 seasons but then again think the striker has scored 2 in that time. It doesnt help that the team down the road is one of the best in Southampton league at this age group,so they can pick and choose the better players. Give the lads their dues they turn up nearly every week and turn up to training each week as well.

As long as your lads are enjoying it then that's all that matters. The most important thing to coach into kids is a love of the game come rain or shine. The rest will come with any half decent coaching and hard work from your lads.

As long as your lads are enjoying it then that's all that matters. The most important thing to coach into kids is a love of the game come rain or shine. The rest will come with any half decent coaching and hard work from your lads.
they do enjoy it but with any team at any age on a losing run it would boost their moral to get a win.

I was surprised when I saw the headline in the MEN because this isn't really news! We first heard this "new approach" two months or so ago. MEN must have found themselves short of a story

I was surprised when I saw the headline in the MEN because this isn't really news! We first heard this "new approach" two months or so ago. MEN must have found themselves short of a story
The MEN have gone into overdrive with the clickbait this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.