Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly thought Southampton had everything we would need for the next couple of windows. Quality ball playing centre-back (Van Dijk), quality homegrown left-back (Bertrand), Quality young DMs (Romeu, Lemina) and even a back-up forward outlet in Redmond (although wouldn't be needed if Alexis arrives).
We are not Liverpool

No way is Van Dijk worth 60 million.Just don't see what the fuss is all about.
Bear in mind lukaku cost 75m +15m in add ons. I reckon that makes Van Dijk worth 60m. Especially when you consider how few decent CBs there are knocking about whereas big fucking lumps who can score against Swansea are 10 a penny (or 1 a 90m if you're ed woodward).

I just don't see it. Easy to look good when your back is to the wall. Can he look as good when his starting position is 40 yards further upfield? I don't think so.
Well, on one occasion he out-ran Delph in the middle of the field to retrieve possession. On another he anticipated a pass to Sterling and got their faster. On a third, he outrank Jesus

His general reading of the game is good, he is athletic and faster than any of our CBs. Pep likes him (talked to him after the game). He is tall, confident and composed.

Every now and then he seems sluggish, but overall there is nothing not to like about him.

A very good footballer.

Players who've looked good in defence for Southampton and got big moves and been a success: Toby Alderweireld

Players who've looked good in defence for Southampton and got big moves and been a complete disaster: Dejan Lovren, Jose Fonte, Luke "too fat for human clothes" Shaw, Nathaniel Clyne, Callum Chambers

Hard not to worry a bit about how much the Southampton system (which has stayed pretty similar since Poch, despite different managers) contributes to players looking good for them.

Players who've looked good in defence for Southampton and got big moves and been a success: Toby Alderweireld

Players who've looked good in defence for Southampton and got big moves and been a complete disaster: Dejan Lovren, Jose Fonte, Luke "too fat for human clothes" Shaw, Nathaniel Clyne, Callum Chambers

Hard not to worry a bit about how much the Southampton system (which has stayed pretty similar since Poch, despite different managers) contributes to players looking good for them.
Bit unfair putting any of those names in with VVD as they all had serious faults while at Southampton, but if you want reassurance look at VVD at Celtic not just in the league but the champions league because he was great in that as well against some very good teams.
For me the problem with VVD is he is a first team player which means he is to replace Ottamendi not Mangala, as for his playing style it is the same as a young Kompany and it is never good to have 2 CB playing the same way which is why i would never buy Evans

Bit unfair putting any of those names in with VVD as they all had serious faults while at Southampton, but if you want reassurance look at VVD at Celtic not just in the league but the champions league because he was great in that as well against some very good teams.
For me the problem with VVD is he is a first team player which means he is to replace Ottamendi not Mangala, as for his playing style it is the same as a young Kompany and it is never good to have 2 CB playing the same way which is why i would never buy Evans
I seem to recall at Celtic he was well known for falling asleep and for being particularly bad in Europe, other than the odd bus parked job against Barca. He bossed the Scottish league, as did Denayer, but I remember a lot of Celtic fans complaining about his performances in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.